• not involved with martial arts

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
testing for my black belt in taekwondo, hopefully december...we'll see how that goes

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bignick said:
testing for my black belt in taekwondo, hopefully december...we'll see how that goes
Good luck! Let us know how it went when the time comes!

- Ceicei

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
will do...as far as technique and forms go...i think i'm fine...it's the endurance that's gonna be challenged

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
bignick said:
will do...as far as technique and forms go...i think i'm fine...it's the endurance that's gonna be challenged

Then you need to go start running. Now is a good time since its cooler. 4miles a night. That is the best thing for building endurance. You could also do all your kicks, basic front, round, side (50 ea. front leg)..then go run. Prior to our test we have to do the whole regimen, short of the sparring and breaking. But we do 200 rising kicks per leg, then do forms for rec. bb, 4 forms twice, all kicks, slow motion kicks, self defense..then sparring and breaking. So we practice this 3 times a week a few weeks ahead of the test. But running is still the best for stamina. TW

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yes running is great...but i'm already preventively saving my knees...there not too bad yet...i don't want to over do anything on them..here's a great excersize we just picked up from Master Geoff Booth(Hapkido, 7th dan) from Australia....it's called a Blackjack

the magic number is 21...start with 20 pushups, one crunch or situp...run across the gym and back....20 pushups and two crunches...across the gym and back...see where this is going? all the way down to 1 pushup and 20 crunches....

actually did on set tonight...a little tired....

S

sifu nick

Here's a push-up drill I hear they do in the pen (prisons). Walking 31's. You do 1 push-up then walk the length of the cell. 2 push-ups, get up walk it again. All the way up to 31. Sounded easy to me til I dropped after around 16 or 17.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, we haven't done that yet. Thanks, both Nicks, 21 sounds a little easier though. We have a long dojang though. Next time I'm in charge, he he he. Oh, I should graduate that...make it 21 for black belts, how long does the whole regimen take? TW

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Booth says the record is 5 minutes...so that's something to shoot for..i don't...it depends on who you ask...if you're doing it, it sems like forever...but probably only 10-15 minutes...

for a group of let say various abilities...if you finish your set of 21 early, you stand up and jog in place until everyone is ready to go..and run down and back together...

when our beginner's class did them they only did 11...but it was only their third class...our class does 21, no matter what the rank...

B

blackbeltedbeauty

I got my black belt 6 months ago and it still means alot to me. I know the belt doesn't always mean what it stands for (like some black belts aren't very good) but after all the work I put into it, it's good to have something to show for all your efforts.:)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
blackbeltedbeauty said:
it's good to have something to show for all your efforts.:)
Skill? Health? Fitness? Fun? Friends?

Don't need a piece of cloth to tell you that...

B

blackbeltedbeauty

Andrew Green said:
Don't need a piece of cloth to tell you that...

I'm aware of that but it shows other people you have worked hard. I know it can mean nothing as far as skill goes.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
blackbeltedbeauty said:
I'm aware of that but it shows other people you have worked hard. I know it can mean nothing as far as skill goes.
To that I'd disagree. Maybe it used to, but now black belts are fairly easy to aquire in many places.

And besides anyone that steps onto the floor with you should be able to tell that ;)

B

blackbeltedbeauty

Andrew Green said:
And besides anyone that steps onto the floor with you should be able to tell that ;)

Oh believe me they can. MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I had a rep at my tkd school for fastest kicker. We obviously disagree on belts so I'll say no more one the subject except this. I'm torn on the subject. On one hand, I like belts as they give you a visible, holdable goal to work towards. On the other, belts don't always mean what they should, unfortunately. Toodles and nice argueing with you andrew.:p :) JP:)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I finally get to vote that I'm a black belt. Lucky, lucky me! Woo hoo!

Okay, thanks for the indulgence, folks - still can hardly believe it. :)

V

Vadim

I received my black belt this year, but I have so much more to learn.

-Vadim

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
give me about three weeks, from this saturday...AHHH, it's so close...

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a yellow belt and that is considered a begginner raking in my system. But I will soon go for my Blue belt test in January, and that will put me in the intermediate raking

R

rainbows

I went with advanced/black belt.
I have a junior black belt in Kenpo, I actually failed the senior test narrowly. I hold a black tag in ITF TKD, and I'm grading for black belt in April.

Latest Discussions