How many DoJangs are out there that have no Korean Masters?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well since the 80's I would say about 50-60% of the Master are now American. Yes they all would have to have some Korean below them or else they really did not do TKD but Karate instead and there school adoted the name TKD because of the ppopularity of it.

Lord-Humongous

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Before the ITF split there were about 80 countries in the org. Over 60 would compete at the International Champs. Poorer countries, particularly those far from the competiton venue often could not afford to make the trip.

I meant the original 1966 ITF, it included Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, the USA, West Germany, Turkey, Italy, Egypt and of course Korea. I was recently sent an email about Vietnam forming an ITF association for the first time in a very long time from which I gleaned this info. TaeKwon Do is meant to be a martial art for all. There are many Masters who are not Korean.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have been involved in TKD since 2001. It has always seemed to me that some tension between Korean and Non-Korean Masters exists but it seems to have dissipated over time. I am sure that its still exists but is it to the point in which it has little or no impact.

I am not trying to flame anything here. I think that it is a legit question!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been involved in TKD since 2001. It has always seemed to me that some tension between Korean and Non-Korean Masters exists but it seems to have dissipated over time. I am sure that its still exists but is it to the point in which it has little or no impact.

No their is still alot of tension between the non-Koreans and the what they thmself call the true Korean TKD people, they have over the last couple of years been civil oward each other but for the most part the gap is plenty big enough to drive that Mac truck though it and turn around and come back out.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No their is still alot of tension between the non-Koreans and the what they thmself call the true Korean TKD people, they have over the last couple of years been civil oward each other but for the most part the gap is plenty big enough to drive that Mac truck though it and turn around and come back out.

That is unfortunate! We can only hope that over time this will go away!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is a situation where you need to be careful not to speak in absolutes. There is tension between some Korean and some non-Korean Masters and there is a couple of reasons for this.
1. It was not unususal for Korean Masters to take advantage of naive round eye students... charge excessive fees, delay rank advancement etc. When the round eyes woke up they were P.O.'d
2. Some Korean Masters, particularly newer ones hate to admit that any round eye might actualy know more than them having trained longer with better instructors. It threatens their superiority complex.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is a situation where you need to be careful not to speak in absolutes. There is tension between some Korean and some non-Korean Masters and there is a couple of reasons for this.
1. It was not unususal for Korean Masters to take advantage of naive round eye students... charge excessive fees, delay rank advancement etc. When the round eyes woke up they were P.O.'d
2. Some Korean Masters, particularly newer ones hate to admit that any round eye might actualy know more than them having trained longer with better instructors. It threatens their superiority complex.

Am I reading more into your post than you intended? It sounds like you're placing almost all the blame on the Koreans. Is that the case?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's the thing - as some people have alluded to - it doesn't matter if you're Korean or not. There are just as many McDojang Koreans as americans. There are also a lot of Koreans who kind of "rest on their laurals" - i.e. I'm a Korean, so I don't have to try as hard or be as good.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Hopefully we can move past this at some point in the future. People should be judged on skill not Race.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Am I reading more into your post than you intended? It sounds like you're placing almost all the blame on the Koreans. Is that the case?

Good point. As I said we must be careful not to make or view statements in terms of absolutes.

The abuses of the round eyes by the Koreans is legendary, BUT it seems some round eye instructors may have learned some of these lessons from their Korean Instructors (Or maybe they learned it elsewhere) and abuse their students as badly as had been done in the past by the Koreans.

Now, from the other perspective, we would have to hear from the Koreans as to why they might have hard feelings toward Non Korean Masters. I can think of one reason. A student leaves the Korean Instructor and goes into competition with them. Now you get into a judgement call as to whether the student had good reason to leave and do this.

Examples I know of was that the student was running the school for a long time and got tired of the abuse. No pay or little pay, still having to pay retail for classes and promotions, long hours etc. He left and opened his own school a few blocks away. Many students left the Korean Master and went to the Studen'ts school because they never really had any relationship with the Korean Master.

UncleDuke

White Belt
Reaction score
According International Grandmaster Moo Yong Yun...about 120 or so Korean masters emigrated to the U.S. in the early 70's. Most of them are fairly long in the tooth now and a number, (Byung Yul Lee comes to mind), have died. the various organzations affiliated with GM Yun now have more masters than he had students in 1980.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just curious, are there DoJangs that have NO Korean GrandMasters or instructors??
Ours doesn't. I'm a native born Texan. My instructor was born in Florida. His instructor was born in Texas. His instructor is Korean, so we are 3 "generations" removed from having someone of Korean lineage as a direct instructor.

Mind you, we train with the Korean Masters and the Grandmaster every chance we get, so it's not like we don't get a big dose of it "straight from the horse's mouth", so to speak.

Latest Discussions