National flags in class

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Probably because there are ITA schools in the UK ... that would be my best guess.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably because there are ITA schools in the UK ... that would be my best guess.

Is it the proper Union flag and is it right way round, if not it's a distress signal! :waah:

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I dont envy him... After 30 years I HOPE I am never ignorant enough to think I have seen it all.

I envy you. I have 37 Years In TKD and a number in Hapkido going back to 1975 and Ju Jitsu going Back to 1975 and Judo Going back to 1971.

I haven't seen it all yet. I still find I am learning stuff all the time.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The way the countrys going we are all flying them upside down!
considering the Uniion jack is upside down and inside out the same look....it really don't matter much!

Now put old glory up with rainbow stripes, and we are talking DISTRESS! ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
considering the Uniion jack is upside down and inside out the same look....it really don't matter much!

Now put old glory up with rainbow stripes, and we are talking DISTRESS! ;)

good grief! It's not the same at all and it's not a Union Jack unless flown by Royal Navy vessels, it's a Union Flag!
http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page826

Traditionally if flown upside down it is a distress signal, something that is obvious when one knows what the flag looks like.
One American state at least has the Union flag in theirs!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_of_Arms

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We have both flags up, and I think Jphtkd summed up my thoughts on it exactly.
We also have an American flag patch on the right arm and a Korean flag on our left.
Same with us. We also have a World Taekwondo Federation flag, a Kukkiwon Flag, and flags from the Kendo and Kumdo federations that GM Kim was a part of before he went independent, as well as the flags for his own hapkido and kumdo org.

We bow to the flags collectively at the beginning and end of class. In my backyard classes with my kids, we have a small American flag that we put up and bow to at the beginning and end of class.

Daniel

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
good grief! It's not the same at all and it's not a Union Jack unless flown by Royal Navy vessels, it's a Union Flag!
http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page826

Traditionally if flown upside down it is a distress signal, something that is obvious when one knows what the flag looks like.
One American state at least has the Union flag in theirs!

LOL< I'll take your word for it! Forgive this lowely Civilian for not being up to speed on her flag ettiquette. :angel:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL< I'll take your word for it! Forgive this lowely Civilian for not being up to speed on her flag ettiquette. :angel:

You are forgiven, you may arise now! :dramaqueen:

More and more now though the countries here are flying their own flags, so we have Scottish, Welsh, English, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man and Cornish flags plus all the Royal Standards plus the Blue and the Red Ensigns. We'll run out of flagpoles soon lol!

epi-do

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We have both an American flag and a Korean flag hanging at the front of the room. We begin and end our classes by bowing to the flags.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our school recently hung an American flag. Perhaps someday we will hang a Korean flag. I suspect that might happen about the time a baseball team in Korea puts up an American flag at their stadium.

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is it the proper Union flag and is it right way round, if not it's a distress signal! :waah:

:confused:

We also have the state flag - noticed that the other night in class...

all flags are on the wall horizontally

TaekwondoForLife

White Belt
Reaction score
We've always flown:
The South Korean flag, the American flag, and the banner for each individual instructor. I think it's important to recognize, through hanging the flag on the wall, the country that gave us Taekwondo. It goes back to respect.