what does your dojang teach?

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
whats your dojang's organization? My Dojang is with World Taekwondo Federation is pretty interesting because My grandmaster is from South Korea. he teach Hapkido and he teaches basic forms and Taeguks along with one kata called Naihanchi under Korean name "Nebojin​
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]
"and original Koryo, he also teach Palwge poomses to first dan black belts and he also teach ITF forms to 3nd dan black belts which I thought it was little different considering my dojang is with W.T.F. does anyone know about this? keep in mind, My Grandmaster been training since 1955 at age of 14.​
[/FONT]

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to clarify your information, because the WTF does not do anything but oversee the promotion of Olympic-based competitions. There cannot be a WTF dojang because the WTF doesn't issue rank.
We offer geup rank through the Moo Duk Kwan and Dan ranks from Moo Duk Kwan or Kukkiwon. We teach the 6 kicho and 8 Palgwae forms to everybody. The 8 taegeuk forms to those who want Kukkiwon Dan rank. I also practice the Chang Hon forms but we don't use them as part if the curriculum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
>>>>>My Dojang is with World Taekwondo Federation is pretty interesting because My grandmaster is from South Korea. <<<>>>he also teach ITF forms to 3nd dan black belts which I thought it was little different considering my dojang is with W.T.F. does anyone know about this? keep in mind, My Grandmaster been training since 1955 at age of 14.

1. The name of your GM is?

2. It's not unusual to think a Dojanf is with the WTF when that flag hangs on the wall, albeit WTF regulating sport side which is usualy sparring and perhaps Kukki patterns.

3. Trained at a WTF / Kukki gym that taught ITF / Chang Hon forms with General Choi's book on the desk from 1975-1977. This was common because that's what many of the old timers learned as TKD forms since other than forms taught by the early Kwans which were more properly called something else until people started to jump on the TKD bandwagon to capitalise on the popularity of the name, the Chang Hon forms were what all the old timers learned if they were coming under the "TKD" moniker in 1955. Even some ITF Pioneers only learned the first 20, including some like Jhoon Rhee and He Il Cho. So basicaly they taught what they knew unless or until they learned the new stuff.

OP
Michael89

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
His name is Yun Sam Ko. you can say his name like "Young Sun Code"

OP
Michael89

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I forget to add this. When He was 14. He went to Chang Moo Kwan first then sometime later he took Jido Kwan so I think he teach Jido Kwan style of TKD. He took karate class in Tokyo for a year. maybe I shouldn't say W.T.F. and use "Kukkiwon"

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about I answer for 2 schools. One when I was about 7-11 and the other now at 25?

When I was 7-11 we trained at the local YMCA under a nurse. Her husband ran the parent school in the next city over, he was former American SF who had trained TKD in Korea IIRC. I don't remember what organization we were in, but I'm going to assume it was Kukikwan. This was mainly a family class, and we did a combination of forms, sparring, and self defense drills, although a lot of those drills we would practice for one day and never practice again (unless several months later they decided to go over that technique again). One unique thing is every other Wednesday we would bring our swimsuits and have class in the pool to do resistance training, which was pretty cool!

Our testing in that class generally involved just forms, sparring, and breaking.

I have started over as a white belt, and I am 100% sure this school is KKW. My master has spent time in Japan, was Korean SF and taught American SF, so he's got a lot of experience. He teaches us Muay Thai striking, TKD striking, Kibon and Palgwe forms, self defense, weapons, and sparring drills.

The biggest difference between my old school and this school is testing. In this school, we are tested on basic techniques, combinations (i.e. a couple kicks and/or punches strung together) in various categories, forms, self defense one-step sparring (both striking and grappling), free sparring, falling/rolling techniques, and breaking.

At first, I thought this was a lot - and it is. I also didn't agree at first with exactly how he breaks stuff down by belt and with all of the extra mini-forms we have to do. However, I've come to like the system he has in place. While in the old school we might have learned self defense techniques here and there for a variety of circumstances, in here we really practice and get the muscle memory for our techniques down pat. Every once in a while he'll throw in something different for defense - quite often something from Judo - but I really feel like I'm learning a lot.

Oh, I'm pretty sure I've seen the kids sumo wrestling in the class before mine, too.

The interesting thing about my current school is the difference between the TKD class and the HKD class. In Tae Kwon Do, I'd say it's 60% TKD, 15% Muay Thai, 15% Hapkido, and 10% a mix of Judo and others. We do forms, basic techniques, breaking, sparring, the whole 9 yards. It's very well-rounded. The Hapkido class is 99% self defense grappling, even though there are kicks and strikes in that art. I think one is more of a general martial arts class and the other is specifically hapkido self defense.

My master, while he focuses on TKD, says that he calls his school a "martial arts" school and not a "Tae Kwon Do school" because he also teaches some Muay Thai, Judo, and Hapkido.

OP
Michael89

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I remember now. My Grandmaster was member of KTA, that might explain why he teach Chang Hon forms to 3nd dan black belts.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Grappling does exist within Tae Kwon Do, even if it isn't taught much.

My master does not operate under the belief that he should only teach TKD. Although Sumo is a bit of a stretch (its more a game at the end of kids class than something actually taught) but we learn techniques from a variety of arts. The majority (especially of tested material) is TKD.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I forget to add this. When He was 14. He went to Chang Moo Kwan first then sometime later he took Jido Kwan so I think he teach Jido Kwan style of TKD. He took karate class in Tokyo for a year. maybe I shouldn't say W.T.F. and use "Kukkiwon"

Kukkiwon is more correct, but most people do say WTF, so don't feel bad about that. I think it's because "World Taekwondo Federation" is an easier name for English-speakers to remember and understand than "Kukkiwon". Also, stuff like sparring gear and flags and ads for tournaments usually say WTF rather than KKW, so you see that name more, and so I think people just assume that the WTF is the actual governing body of the style. [Edited for clarity]

OP
Michael89

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I restarted going to dojang couple of weeks ago. Now I am almost back where I need to be..I got all poomses that I know so far, I'm almost done with step sparring and self defense. I love how my grandmaster teach Traditional(not style and i'm assuming it is from Jido Kwan) and modern(Kukkiwon) way of training. Speaking of Kukkiwon, I noticed that my grandmaster been using "Kukkiwon" more than World Taekwondo federation now. one of training masters like to break down the forms..not sure what term for it..like make us to punch moving forward 10 time and then low or high blocks, kicks and punch then punch and block that sort of thing.

OP
Michael89

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I found out tonight that style of Karate my grandmaster learned is Shito ryu and plus I guess he learned ITF forms from General Choi in early days.