How many DoJangs are out there that have no Korean Masters?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Obviously as time goes on there will be more and more. Our GM came to australia nearly 40 years ago and was one of the first (if not the first) to do so. His right hand man (our chief instructor) started training under our GM as a young man and is now a 7th dan and is obviously being groomed to take over when our GM passes away. I know of several other clubs in a similar predicament. Our chief instructor may not be korean but having been personally trained by a korean master for many years I really have no problems with the fact he is not korean although I am glad our clubs lineage will always be korean. But in answer to your question, there are many clubs out there that do not have a korean master.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say that here in the united states there are more that have American masters than Korean.
I'll repeat what Terry said "Why"

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure the majority of Tae Kwon Do dojangs (schools) in the US do not have Korean grand masters or instructors, just like most Aikido dojos in the US don't have Japanese masters/instructors.

Did you maybe mean organizations, such as the ITF or WTF and not schools?

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just curious, are there DoJangs that have NO Korean GrandMasters or instructors??

Depends on what you mean by Grand Master. If you mean simply an instructor of a specific rank, such as an 8th or 9th dan then I'd say ... the majority of Taekwon-Do schools don't have Korean instructors. In the last 55 years, Taekwon-Do has spread like wildfire and at this point I imagine most schools are second generation (if not third) removed from the early Korean pioneers.

The Kukkiwon and the ITF both have requirements to be able to test dan level students that anyone can qualify for, regardless of race so both of the major Taekwon-Do rank certfiying bodies don't see a Korean instructor as something that is absolutely necessary for the art's propagation.

If by Grand Master you mean a person who oversees a direct instrctor, or the instructor's instructor, then I'd say probably less than the majority I mentioned above.

Pax,

Chris

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The majority of the TKD studios in my area require at least 4 hops up the family tree before you see a Korean. There is however 1 KKW sixth dan who is from Seoul.

My TKD black belt was awarded to me by my teacher who learned from a student of Jhoon Rhee's, so that's 3 hops up for me personally.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Current Master is Half Korean...Former Grand Master is a 9th Dan From Korea

Gizmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here in Poland we have around 150 TKD clubs (counting all orgs together) and to my knowledge, only two of them have Korean instructors.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aside from perhaps some newly minted ones or people of Korean descent born in another country I think ITF V does not have any. All the Korean Seniors went with ITF NK or went a seperate way. (Except of course for the son's ITF which is headed by him.)

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps a better question is how many schools do have a Korean instructor. Ours does. Here's a link to his bio. http://www.usktkd.com/html/instructor.html
I find it interesting that he was born, raised, trained, and educated in Korea and from what I've learned on here our school would most likely be considered a McDojo. Not sure if that means anything, I just find it interesting.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find it interesting that he was born, raised, trained, and educated in Korea and from what I've learned on here our school would most likely be considered a McDojo. Not sure if that means anything, I just find it interesting.

The desire to keep a roof over your head and food in your belly is not confined to a specific country or culture. Not sure a direct Korean connection really matters. I've seen great western instructors in the MA - JR West,one of the most knowledgeable Hapkido men in the world, lives in Mississippi. At the same time, some of the biggest McDojang (not necessarily a bad thing) organizations in TKD and TSD were founded by native Koreans.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most of the KMA schools in my area have Korean instructors and/or masters/grandmasters. My area has a very heavy consentration of Koreans, however.

Outside of my local area, I have been to at least five schools where I saw no Koreans at all, or maybe one or two Korean students.

Daniel

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the DFW area about have of all schools here have a Korean Master or G.M., but what I find funny is they run like 10-15 schools a piece and a non Korean runs all the others. I am a loaner in the fact my G.M. is Korean but does not require me to pay or even follow his teaching. Do what I like but I still ask for permission even though I do not need to.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
my original school, my instructors, No, their instructors, no, his instructor... Yes. still in contact and influenced by the GM who is Korean, but no physical control over school.

Current school, GM... no. his GM.... yes. Same. school independent.

Currrent Org... Yes, Korean. Other Org... nope, some chosen CEO!!!!!

Lord-Humongous

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
General Choi gave TaeKwon Do to the world. Many learned the art from him and many not have been Korean. Who cares if they are Korean or not? What if the Master you train with comes from somewhere other than Korea? There were a handful of countries in the original ITF. ITF is International and WTF is World. If it was a Korean only martial art, it would be governed by Korean only organizations.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
General Choi gave TaeKwon Do to the world. Many learned the art from him and many not have been Korean. Who cares if they are Korean or not? What if the Master you train with comes from somewhere other than Korea? There were a handful of countries in the original ITF. ITF is International and WTF is World. If it was a Korean only martial art, it would be governed by Korean only organizations.
Well my school's GM is Korean and our Master is a direct relative of his so also Korean.

I would think that at the top of most schools tree there is a Korean. You may have to travel up the tree a few branches but I bet there is a Korean sitting up there.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Before the ITF split there were about 80 countries in the org. Over 60 would compete at the International Champs. Poorer countries, particularly those far from the competiton venue often could not afford to make the trip.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well my school's GM is Korean and our Master is a direct relative of his so also Korean.

I would think that at the top of most schools tree there is a Korean. You may have to travel up the tree a few branches but I bet there is a Korean sitting up there.

This is somewhat of a self fulfilling prophesy because if you get to anyone doing TKD before 1960 or so the only instructors were Korean. Not only that, almost anyone using the name was under General Choi. This remained like that until 1974 or so when the WTF was formed. Such noteables as He Il Cho, Jhoon Rhee and HU Lee (ATA founder) were all part of General Choi's group at one time.

Some such as Chuck Norris actualy did Tang Soo Do learning oversees, and later adopted the name TKD.

Latest Discussions