How long have you been training?

How long have you been training in your primary and/or longest style?

• Less than 1 year

• 1 year to less than 2 years

• 2 years to less than 3 years

• 3 years to less than 4 years

• 4 years to less than 5 years

• Between 5 and 10 years

• Between 10 and 15 years

• Between 15 and 20 years

• More than 20 years

Results are only viewable after voting.

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
10 years of karate, 2-3 years of TKD and 1-2 years ninjutsu. And WOW!! Terry, have you been training for like your whole life?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
10 years of karate, 2-3 years of TKD and 1-2 years ninjutsu. And WOW!! Terry, have you been training for like your whole life?

Yes sir I started when I was three and have never looked back, it was my father passion that became mine, Like CM Eisenhart the journey will never end.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My 20th anniversary of continuous training in NGA is next January. A total of about 25 years if I add in the other arts.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't answer the poll because I really don't know where I would fit. I have had a strange journey to say the least. If you count just my primary art I started back around 1995 or so (can't remember back you know) then had to take a LONG time off due to zero extra funds for formal training. I still did what I knew in the interm and went over things with my brother (who is an Instructor and has been the whole time I had to take off). He didn't have his own school before I left so I didn't get to actually test and formally train during that timeframe. So formal training I only have 4 years or so. Started in Ninjutsu under the Bujinkan and was there when To-Shin Do made it's debut, and have been there from day one of it's public unveiling outside of Dayton. So therefore I had no clue where to place myself on the chart.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TKD - 1986 through 1998
Kung Fu - 1986 through 1998
Ju Jitsu - 1986 through present
Kenpo - 1998 through present

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I feel like a toddler compared to everyone... I've only been studying for about 2 months...

10 months now. Like Keebler, I feel like I'm a total rookie! (Hey I AM a total rookie!)

We NEED rookies to share our knowledge with..They will in turn share that knowledge PLUS their own experiences with others ..It keeps the MA strong...Me, I started in either 80 or 81 in Shorin Ryu..Over the course of the years I trained whenever and in whatever was available, I use to travel alot and spend weeks in differents towns..

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
31 years of training in Jujutsu and Judo. I trained consistently in Aikido for about 10 years and still train with local Aikidoka when I can.

KeeblerElf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We NEED rookies to share our knowledge with..They will in turn share that knowledge PLUS their own experiences with others ..It keeps the MA strong...

Thanks, that makes it feel a lot better. Its amazing to hear how long some people have been studying. 20 years from now I'll be 40, and just trying to think about how much more I'll know then than I know now is overwhelming.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lesse...

I started TKD 16 years ago this month, and HKD 16 years ago in May or thereabouts.

After about four years, I took a break from HKD to focus on TKD, then about 4 or 5 years ago I retired from TKD to focus on HKD.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have been training Martial arts for over 30 years, longest training in one style Yang Taiji over 12 years

But the 30 or so years includes Jujitsu, TKD, Shaolin long fist, Wing Chun, Bagua, Xingyi, Sanda, Taiji (Yang, Chen, Wu, CMC) to name a few.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hm, ok let's see.
Started WTA TKD in 1985, then ATA TKD later that year.
Escrima in 90 (on and off since then, love it as well)
Tai Chi & Kung Fu in 89 for about a year, fun, but I'm really a hard stylist (Tai Chi was hard to NOT do tension but really relax).
Wing Chun in 98 for about a year. I love that stuff.

Throughout it all I've remained constant with TKD.
So 22 years with some other oddities thrown in for flavor :)

Here's to 22 more!

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Started in 1983 in a JKD inspired school called Lin Wan Kune Do with the worlds scariest looking chief instructor. Moved in bagua in 1986, been doing it ever since.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, that makes it feel a lot better. Its amazing to hear how long some people have been studying. 20 years from now I'll be 40, and just trying to think about how much more I'll know then than I know now is overwhelming.

You are more than welcome...I started in my 30's..I think back to all the classes and seminars I've attended and it's overwhelming at times...

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been training for 18 years in TKD.

With a little tai chi, kung fu, judo, and hapkido thrown in for fun.

I was really suprised to see how many people have been training for 20+ years!! A testament to the forum for sure!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm such a noob. Been training Kung Fu, first Sil Lum and now SPM for almost 3 1/2 years.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being only a youngset I have been in the art I do for only around 37 or so years now. and in a few others or associated with them for about the same lenght of time. Some of the other arts I have been in much less time or only studied them for 5 or less years.

Latest Discussions