Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
If 2 persons spar for 10 rounds, how many rounds can one

- knock the other down?
- take the other down?

Will you say 5-5? I think the chance that one can take the other down is much higher than one can knock the other down. I used to think that a good striker and a good grappler are on 50-50 equal base. My opinion has changed lately.

How effective is the striking art? Here is a simple test.

- Hold both of your hands into a big fist by locking with your fingers.
- Hide your head behind that "wedged arms".
- Extend your arms toward at your opponent's face.
- Run toward your opponent like a mad man and try to use your big fist to hit on his face.
- Let your opponent to try to hit your head.
- You use your big fist along with your "wedged arms" to deflect your opponent's head shots.
- When your hands are close to your opponent's elbow, shoulder, neck, use arm wrap, over hook, under hook, head lock, ... and prevent your opponent from punching you again.

In the following picture, the sharp point is your big fist. 2 sides from that sharp point to the base are your arms. You hide your head in the yellow area.

wedge.jpg

If

1. your opponent's punch can hit your head, he wins that round.
2. you can use your big fist to hit on your opponent's face, or get him into an arm wrap, under hook, over hook, head lock, ... before he can hit you, you win that round.

Do you mind to try this with your opponent for 10 rounds and see what kind record that you and your opponent may come up with? Will it be

Hard to say who would win. I've studied a striking art my whole life and it has served me well on physical conflicts. I will say that if a grappler jumped me, I would use dirty tatics that he probably woun't think of because he's into tieing me into a knot. Eye jab, throat attack, groin, nose, ears, no rules. Of course if I don't do anything for say four seconds, then the expert grappler has me, probably. But i'm only 5'2" so a average size grappler may have trouble tieing me up? But martial artist don't usually attack each other, that's in the movies. I say take the art you enjoy and for self defense you'll be yards ahead of the guy that never study any.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When clinch is established, it's better to take your opponent down ASAP. You can let your body weight and earth to do the striking for you.

IMO, the following clip is not the most efficiency way to deal with a conflict.

It depends. If I am clinching and I am feeding the guy rabbit punches. Then I would not change position.

But ultimately I am not striking or clinching or grappling I am doing all of it at once.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course in the head lock picture, when your left arm give your opponent a head lock, your right hand can punch on his face. But your opponent is not able to punch you in that position.

It may be more effective to use clinch to take your opponent down ASAP, you than take your time and strike him when his is on the ground.

OK so you are head locked. And you are trying to suplex the guy. Now if you pick him up fine. If you can't then you will be fighting for position.

In that photo. You fight for wrist control and then you have a free hand to punch.
Eg.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QfhZtGMkYw8

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If 2 persons spar for 10 rounds, how many rounds can one

- knock the other down?
- take the other down?

Will you say 5-5? I think the chance that one can take the other down is much higher than one can knock the other down. I used to think that a good striker and a good grappler are on 50-50 equal base. My opinion has changed lately.

How effective is the striking art? Here is a simple test.

- Hold both of your hands into a big fist by locking with your fingers.
- Hide your head behind that "wedged arms".
- Extend your arms toward at your opponent's face.
- Run toward your opponent like a mad man and try to use your big fist to hit on his face.
- Let your opponent to try to hit your head.
- You use your big fist along with your "wedged arms" to deflect your opponent's head shots.
- When your hands are close to your opponent's elbow, shoulder, neck, use arm wrap, over hook, under hook, head lock, ... and prevent your opponent from punching you again.

In the following picture, the sharp point is your big fist. 2 sides from that sharp point to the base are your arms. You hide your head in the yellow area.

wedge.jpg

If

1. your opponent's punch can hit your head, he wins that round.
2. you can use your big fist to hit on your opponent's face, or get him into an arm wrap, under hook, over hook, head lock, ... before he can hit you, you win that round.

Do you mind to try this with your opponent for 10 rounds and see what kind record that you and your opponent may come up with? Will it be

Hard to say who would win. I've studied a striking art my whole life and it has served me well on physical conflicts. I will say that if a grappler jumped me, I would use dirty tatics that he probably woun't think of because he's into tieing me into a knot. Eye jab, throat attack, groin, nose, ears, no rules. Of course if I don't do anything for say four seconds, then the expert grappler has me, probably. But i'm only 5'2" so a average size grappler may have trouble tieing me up? But martial artist don't usually attack each other, that's in the movies. I say take the art you enjoy and for self defense you'll be yards ahead of the guy that never study any.

What is stopping you getting your face uppecutted off?

That seems like a lot of unprotected face. Should the striker sidestep.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is stopping you getting your face uppecutted off?

That seems like a lot of unprotected face. Should the striker sidestep.
When your opponent throws uppercut at you, you can

- drop one arm to block it,
- drop both arms, pull you big fist back a little bit, let both of your elbows to touch your chest into a boxing guard.
- spin your body sideways without moving your arms.

Since your exposed area is limited, it's much easier to close it off. Also when your opponent's uppercut touches your arm, it will give you better chance to "wrap" it. To wrap your opponent's arm when he is moving back is hard. To wrap his arm when he is moving forward is easier. The uppercut need closer distance than the jab and cross.

The whole strategy is how fast that you can wrap your opponent's arm with your arm.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course in the head lock picture, when your left arm give your opponent a head lock, your right hand can punch on his face. But your opponent is not able to punch you in that position.

As soon as you release one hand from your headlock grip to punch it becomes easier for your opponent to slip his head out from under your other arm and escape.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As soon as you release one hand from your headlock grip to punch it becomes easier for your opponent to slip his head out from under your other arm and escape.
That's why it's not wise to punch from that position. It's better to take your opponent down right at that moment. When you have your opponent's head, you have his whole body. It makes no sense to punch from any clinch position. After you have taken your opponent down on the ground, you will have all the time that you need to use your punches.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
everything is included in fighting weather punch, kick, knee, head butt, elbow. one must be trained every part and must be ready for every situation. http://www.karatejaipur.in/
I used to think like this but not any more. When talking about a "true" integration of kick, punch, lock, throw, and ground game, my idea has been evolved many times in the past.

- 1st, I tried to use kick, punch to set up a throw.
- later on, I tried to use kick, punch to set up clinch, I then use clinch to set up throw.
- lately, I try to by pass kick and punch, just image that I'm an octopus, use my "arm wrapping" to set up clinch, I then apply throw after that.

When you use strategy like this, if you exchange kicks and punches, you are playing your opponent's game and not your own game. Anything that may delay your "arm wrapping" will be to your dis-advantage.

An octopus doesn't need to use any kick, punch to wrap it's prey.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I used to think like this but not any more. When talking about a "true" integration of kick, punch, lock, throw, and ground game, my idea has been evolved many times in the past.

- 1st, I tried to use kick, punch to set up a throw.
- later on, I tried to use kick, punch to set up clinch, I then use clinch to set up throw.
- lately, I try to by pass kick and punch, just image that I'm an octopus, use my "arm wrapping" to set up clinch, I then apply throw after that.

When you use strategy like this, if you exchange kicks and punches, you are playing your opponent's game and not your own game. Anything that may delay your "arm wrapping" will be to your dis-advantage.

An octopus doesn't need to use any kick, punch to wrap it's prey.

Ignoring kicks and punches does not make them go away.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ignoring kicks and punches does not make them go away.
Of course you can't make your opponent's punches and kicks to go away, but you can reduce your own kicks and punches and concentrate on your "arm wrapping".

Then you could just 'play' it better.:)
We all like to be good in everything, but our life is too short for that.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course you can't make your opponent's punches and kicks to go away, but you can reduce your own kicks and punches and concentrate on your "arm wrapping".

Then you could just 'play' it better.[/QUOTE]
We all like to be good in everything, but our life is too short for that.

OK arm wrapping is the least likely method to stop punches mostly because they are a bugger to catch. Personally I would go for head arm or double under hooks.

If you look at a baz rutten fight you are unlikely to see an arm wrap. And you will see him entering with punches and kicks.

The other guy could very easily be good at both. Plenty of people are.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK arm wrapping is the least likely method to stop punches mostly because they are a bugger to catch. Personally I would go for head arm or double under hooks.

If you look at a baz rutten fight you are unlikely to see an arm wrap. And you will see him entering with punches and kicks.

The other guy could very easily be good at both. Plenty of people are.
Bas Rutten does teach arm wraps. Once again it depends on what you are calling a fight. Certainly he uses punches and kicks but he also traps arms.

2:00 mark

3:00 mark
:asian:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would call a fight resisted.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OjWx9Zq2zNo
And he is not catching people in arm wraps.

It is really hard to do.
So now we are back to sport vs street. Wrapping arms is easy to do in the right situation. It is a huge part of Krav for example. The fact that you don't train it, fine. The fact that you don't see it in the ring, fine. But don't think for a minute that because you don't train it others don't. And for the record, Bas does train it, teach it and use it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So now we are back to sport vs street. Wrapping arms is easy to do in the right situation. It is a huge part of Krav for example. The fact that you don't train it, fine. The fact that you don't see it in the ring, fine. But don't think for a minute that because you don't train it others don't. And for the record, Bas does train it, teach it and use it.

The fact I don't see bas ever doing it.

If you can show bas rutten wrapping arms in a street fight go for it.

Latest Discussions