skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I get tired around 60 kicks or so...

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you kidding?
When doing a fight camp in the first 2 weeks my fighters will do a 1000 kicks on the heavy bag or thai pads as a warm up everyday. Takes 20-25 minutes.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you kidding?
When doing a fight camp in the first 2 weeks my fighters will do a 1000 kicks on the heavy bag or thai pads as a warm up everyday. Takes 20-25 minutes.

In a class? Yes.

In a row? It's like a sprint.

And yes, it was a joke.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you kidding?
but why ? will they ever throw a thousand kicks in a contest , it would seem to sacrifice quality for quantity, 950 a of those kicks wont be very good, if they pace themselves to hit the number then all of them wont be very good, well maybe the first few

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
alcoholic ? ghostly ? holy ?

i admit it takes enthusiasm which could be referred to as spirit to complete, but its doesn't create enthusiasm or spirit that isnt already there

petty, mind numbing pointless tasks seldom do, infact usually the opposite, can you really not think of a better way to spend 20 mins that has both an actual benefit AND creates ''spirit''

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh, when I read the thread title I immediately started thinking of how many degrees "around" 540 would be, figured it was one complete turn and then another half turn, so jumping up, my mind is telling me... then spinning once completely around (standard tornado 360 degree roundhouse kick, right?) and then adding an extra 180 onto it....
... and then I read the O/P. *snort*

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Huh, when I read the thread title I immediately started thinking of how many degrees "around" 540 would be, figured it was one complete turn and then another half turn, so jumping up, my mind is telling me... then spinning once completely around (standard tornado 360 degree roundhouse kick, right?) and then adding an extra 180 onto it....
... and then I read the O/P. *snort*

Actually most of the tricking kicks cheat the system a bit. Take off 180 degrees from every kick, and that's the actual rotation in the air.

In some cases it's even worse. The swing 900 kick is only 360 in the air. It also features 540 spinning on the ground.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I get tired around 60 kicks or so...
Are you doing the

1. MT roundhouse kick that your body spin 360 degree, or
2. TKD roundhouse kick that you kick out and pull back?

Since 1 is easier on your knee joint, to repeat 2 for many reps may be a bad idea.

- I like to throw 1,000 hook punches non-stop,
- I don't like to throw 1,000 jab/cross non-stop,

1,000 jab/cross can be bad for my elbow joint. 1,000 hook punch is easier on my elbow joint.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
but why ? will they ever throw a thousand kicks in a contest , it would seem to sacrifice quality for quantity, 950 a of those kicks wont be very good, if they pace themselves to hit the number then all of them wont be very good, well maybe the first few
alcoholic ? ghostly ? holy ?

i admit it takes enthusiasm which could be referred to as spirit to complete, but its doesn't create enthusiasm or spirit that isnt already there

petty, mind numbing pointless tasks seldom do, infact usually the opposite, can you really not think of a better way to spend 20 mins that has both an actual benefit AND creates ''spirit''
....... here we go again with the "it's gotta be perfectly practical, functional and utilitarian" nonsense.

Just get out of this thread if you're gonna be completely disrespectful and criticising people for BEING DIFFERENT TO YOU.

It builds spirit, resilience, perseverance. Why would you suggest that "oh can't you think of a different way to do that"?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
....... here we go again with the "it's gotta be perfectly practical, functional and utilitarian" nonsense.

Just get out of this thread if you're gonna be completely disrespectful and criticising people for BEING DIFFERENT TO YOU.

It builds spirit, resilience, perseverance. Why would you suggest that "oh can't you think of a different way to do that"?
your being disrespectful and criticising me for expressing a different opinion

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
your being disrespectful and criticising me for expressing a different opinion
No mate, that's not it at all... it's your criticisms of other peoples' methods that I'm pulling up. Don't turn this around and claim I'm doing the same thing, that's a very easy out that's not valid.

I've always found you to be very intelligent and have actually really enjoyed your insights into alot of things. Truly. But it's when you don't look outside your perceptual view despite everyone else saying that it's not the case, and when you simply refuse to listen is when it gets rather unpleasant.

Perhaps I'm on edge because it's a rather intense time at the moment for everyone. I respect you and your views. I do. But I do not tolerate conscious narrowmindedness and putting other people down, I prefer building people up. And yes. That can be done with honesty too, not talking being about airyfairy and over-the-top positive in building people up, but the hard, constructive stuff too.

There are many ways that we can train things. To cast it aside because it's of no value to you (which it sounds like you haven't even tried it anyway) and deem it pointless to someone who HAS found it of value is rather disrespectful.

Do 1000 kicks nonstop. Without a break. You will probably find alot within you that you never knew existed that's quite insightful and powerful.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No mate, that's not it at all... it's your criticisms of other peoples' methods that I'm pulling up. Don't turn this around and claim I'm doing the same thing, that's a very easy out that's not valid.

I've always found you to be very intelligent and have actually really enjoyed your insights into alot of things. Truly. But it's when you don't look outside your perceptual view despite everyone else saying that it's not the case, and when you simply refuse to listen is when it gets rather unpleasant.

Perhaps I'm on edge because it's a rather intense time at the moment for everyone. I respect you and your views. I do. But I do not tolerate conscious narrowmindedness and putting other people down, I prefer building people up. And yes. That can be done with honesty too, not talking being about airyfairy and over-the-top positive in building people up, but the hard, constructive stuff too.

There are many ways that we can train things. To cast it aside because it's of no value to you (which it sounds like you haven't even tried it anyway) and deem it pointless to someone who HAS found it of value is rather disrespectful.

Do 1000 kicks nonstop. Without a break. You will probably find alot within you that you never knew existed that's quite insightful and powerful.
well appear to be trying to close down any opinion but your own, its my opinion and one that is backed up by main stream sports science that training should aproximate the skills or or fitness levels you want to develop, that isnt it seems an opinion that shared by people who practice tradition ma, who do all sorts of things with out question because some old bloke said it was a good idea a hundred years ago

you are at liberty of course, to carry on doing nonsensical things with out question and promoting them to others, just as i am to point out that its pointless and counter productive, that is very much the point of DISCUSSION forums

if the pr sent situation has got you to the state that your not prepared to allow contrary opinion with out getting hysterical and throwing personal insults about, then you need to look at yourself rather than me, at the moment you seem to have developed an acute case of being a snowflake and DEMANDING a '' safe place'' where no one is allowed to disagree with you

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
well appear to be trying to close down any opinion but your own, its my opinion and one that is backed up by main stream sports science that training should aproximate the skills or or fitness levels you want to develop, that isnt it seems an opinion that shared by people who practice tradition ma, who do all sorts of things with out question because some old bloke said it was a good idea a hundred years ago

you are at liberty of course, to carry on doing nonsensical things with out question and promoting them to others, just as i am to point out that its pointless and counter productive, that is very much the point of DISCUSSION forums

if the pr sent situation has got you to the state that your not prepared to allow contrary opinion with out getting hysterical and throwing personal insults about, then you need to look at yourself rather than me, at the moment you seem to have developed an acute case of being a snowflake

Who is being hysterical? I've noticed that being thrown around to make people feel that they're the rational and logical one.

I have not thrown personal insults around, what have I called you? Intelligent, insightful? I've called out some questionable attitudes. That's not personal insults, that's speaking on those attitude. There's a difference.

Nice little ending there. A snowflake. Interesting what you've decided to resort to...

Suggest you read my post again. I wasn't "closing down your opinion". Again, I'm pointing out your inability to accept that others have different views, and not only that, but saying they're pointless. You're REEEEEALLY trying to turn this around aren't you. People often project onto the world around them what they're carrying within themselves, so you're just showing this in its full light.

I actually agree and am open to your views. There ARE other ways to go about building that spirit of perseverance, like you said. But you're dismissing a method because it's not the one you deem as having a point.

There are just too many assumptions in there that I can't even be bothered addressing..

Of course we're both at liberty to discuss our views. AGAIN, that is not what I'm even talking about, and you keep diverting from the main point of what I'm saying.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Who is being hysterical? I've noticed that being thrown around to make people feel that they're the rational and logical one.

I have not thrown personal insults around, what have I called you? Intelligent, insightful? I've called out some questionable attitudes. That's not personal insults, that's speaking on those attitude. There's a difference.

Nice little ending there. A snowflake. Interesting what you've decided to resort to...

Suggest you read my post again. I wasn't "closing down your opinion". Again, I'm pointing out your inability to accept that others have different views, and not only that, but saying they're pointless. You're REEEEEALLY trying to turn this around aren't you. People often project onto the world around them what they're carrying within themselves, so you're just showing this in its full light.

I actually agree and am open to your views. There ARE other ways to go about building that spirit of perseverance, like you said. But you're dismissing a method because it's not the one you deem as having a point.

There are just too many assumptions in there that I can't even be bothered addressing..

Of course we're both at liberty to discuss our views. AGAIN, that is not what I'm even talking about, and you keep diverting from the main point of what I'm saying.
well that rely is even more hysterical, im not getting sucked into a situation where i am being equally belligerent as yourself

so quite simply if you believe people expressing different opinions to yourself breach forum guideline please feel free to report my posts and let the moderators decided

up until they ban all opinions but Simmons il carry on expressing my views in as a respectful and cogent manner as a i can muster

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some will never understand. That's okay. Some will understand
When I was in the military we had to do 15 mile humps with a 65 pound rucksack. Most everyone's first few steps were much better form than their last. As we did more humps it got better physically. The worse was the when they made us make the return trip on foot. So we did 30 miles vs the 15. Spirit...mental toughness is important in a fighter. Some will never understand.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I was in the military we had to do 15 mile humps with a 65 pound rucksack. Most everyone's first few steps were much better form than their last. As we did more humps it got better physically. The worse was the when they made us make the return trip on foot. So we did 30 miles vs the 15. Spirit...mental toughness is important in a fighter. Some will never understand.[/carry in good
When I was in the military we had to do 15 mile humps with a 65 pound rucksack. Most everyone's first few steps were much better form than their last. As we did more humps it got better physically. The worse was the when they made us make the return trip on foot. So we did 30 miles vs the 15. Spirit...mental toughness is important in a fighter. Some will never understand.
so walking distance carrying a pack is a useful skill for troops who may need to walk distance carrying a pack, I can see that

so would you recommend that as the best training for soccer players who seldom have to walk 30 miles carrying a pack. who also rely on mental toughness to get results

as I'm not aware of any professional team that has that or anything like it to build either fitness or spirit

if not can you explain what relevance the anecdote has to the discussion on sports fitness ? or spirit

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
so walking distance carrying a pack is a useful skill for troops who may need to walk distance carrying a pack, I can see that

so would you recommend that as the best training for soccer players who seldom have to walk 30 miles carrying a pack. who also rely on mental toughness to get results

as I'm not aware of any professional team that has that or anything like it to build either fitness or spirit

if not can you explain what relevance the anecdote has to the discussion on sports fitness ? or spirit
As I stated, some will understand. It was an analogy. If you think that was a recommendation you didn't understand. It's a mental thing as much as a physical. Sorry you don't understand.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As I stated, some will understand. It was an analogy. If you think that was a recommendation you didn't understand. It's a mental thing as much as a physical. Sorry you don't understand.
it wasn't an analogy, analogies are comparing two thing and usually pointing out the commonalities, as you went comparing anything it was just an anecdote

Latest Discussions