Home Study Courses

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't get why people get so wrapped up around the my martial arts taught by a person is better then your martial arts taught by a TV screen. Who cares? Its not like were walking around every day having death matches on the street corner. You wanna learn something go learn it. You wanna learn from a book have fun you want to learn from a person have fun. But to say oh you will never really know it is just silly what makes you think your better then anyone else. At the same time I don't get why people come to martial arts forums looking for approval about their plan to home study. If you want to do it then go do why do you care what we think? Hell half the people on this site could be 14 year old kids for all you know and you care what we think?

Well, you're right. I don't know why people ask for approval either. Hell, a simple search on this forum, will no doubt, show numerous threads about home study. Frankly, if thats what they want to do, go ahead. I know what I do, and yes, it is better than learning from a book or dvd. I guess some are just more passionate about their training than others. Oh well....

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So when you did your distance learning what did you use to judge, or who told you it was "quality"?

Did someone check you and how did they do that?
Why does it matter? If the person is enjoying it what makes that less "quality" then going to a school?
I guess Im just trying to understand the "your way is crap my teacher is awsome" attitude. Ive seen some pretty crappy teachers before so its not always the better way.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why does it matter? If the person is enjoying it what makes that less "quality" then going to a school?
I guess Im just trying to understand the "your way is crap my teacher is awsome" attitude. Ive seen some pretty crappy teachers before so its not always the better way.

If you're training just for the enjoyment of it, then books/video/youtube learning makes some sense.
If you have goals other than simply having a good time, then feedback is important.
One simple reason for quality instructions: injuries.
Injuries happen to pretty much all martial artists at one time or another. Improperly performed techniques increase the chances of injuries.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

You read one heck of a lot into my post that was not there...it was a question, to Jason not ballen0351, in an attempt to understand where he is coming from as it applies to "quality" and "Distance leaning".

Now for the record I have been in MA for damn close to 40 years and I have had my share of bad teachers too, although I am not sure what any of that has to do with my question to jason. I also am not an opponant of distance learning since I feel that there is way to much going on in an MA to learn without a teacher.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You read one heck of a lot into my post that was not there...it was a question, to Jason not ballen0351, in an attempt to understand where he is coming from as it applies to "quality" and "Distance leaning".

Now for the record I have been in MA for damn close to 40 years and I have had my share of bad teachers too, although I am not sure what any of that has to do with my question to jason. I also am not an opponant of distance learning since I feel that there is way to much going on in an MA to learn without a teacher.

I didnt read anything into your post I asked you why it matters? What does it matter who says what he learned was quality? As if to say well as long as some other live person said its quality then its OK. But if only he thinks its quality his opinion does not matter.

The bad teacher comment was to show just because you have a live teacher it does not automatically equal quality instruction.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I didnt read anything into your post I asked you why it matters? What does it matter who says what he learned was quality? As if to say well as long as some other live person said its quality then its OK. But if only he thinks its quality his opinion does not matter.

The bad teacher comment was to show just because you have a live teacher it does not automatically equal quality instruction.

He said he had experience and now I await Jason’s answer should he decide to give me one

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you're training just for the enjoyment of it, then books/video/youtube learning makes some sense.
If you have goals other than simply having a good time, then feedback is important.
One simple reason for quality instructions: injuries.
Injuries happen to pretty much all martial artists at one time or another. Improperly performed techniques increase the chances of injuries.

That's a good point I guess it depends on your goals for martial arts but even still its not like there is one set of rules for every style. Even with in an organization you can see large differences in skill levels between different schools in that same organization some better then others. So say we both learn Goju. You go to a traditional dojo and I use you tube clips and DVDs from Higaonna Sensei. We met at a seminar and I'm wearing the same rank as you but your better then me does it matter? Or I'm better then other students that go to a school my kata is crisper or looks better does it matter?
Now on flip side if I decided I want to be a professional fighter then yeah I need to go find a good teacher and good training partners. So I guess it depends on your reason for wanting to learn in the end.
As for injuries well like you said that can happen with or without a teacher so I'm not sure your more likely to be injured without one then with one but who knows. I've been injured more training with new people then I ever have with experienced people so you may be right.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He said he had experience and now I await Jason’s answer should he decide to give me one
And I was asking for your opinion should you choose to answer. Why does it matter if someone else said he learned quality martial arts or if its his opinion and his alone?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And I was asking for your opinion should you choose to answer. Why does it matter if someone else said he learned quality martial arts or if its his opinion and his alone?

Are you jason or do you speak for him?

I can tell you I am a great grand soke master of any art you desire.... but it is from me with no verification. I can tell you that I learned Ti Kwan Leep by distance learning and it is quality..... by what do I set that standard. I can tell you the car I am trying to sell you is an A#1 used car..... how do I know that, where to I get that from....

He says it can be quality based on his experience, what is that experience and how does he qualify it as quality.

Now I am pretty much done here other than my wondering how, by what scale, does jason labels it quality.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you jason or do you speak for him?

I can tell you I am a great grand soke master of any art you desire.... but it is from me with no verification. I can tell you that I learned Ti Kwan Leep by distance learning and it is quality..... by what do I set that standard.

He says it can be quality based on his experience, what is that experience and how does he qualify it as quality.

Now I am pretty much done here other than my wondering how, by what scale, does jason labels it quality.

Nope I don't even know jason I'm just asking u your opinion if you only want to talk to jason and nobody else send him a PM otherwise this is a open thread anyone can ask anything they want.

I also don't disagree with you I to go to a live teacher because I enjoy it I like the interaction and the tine to just focus on that one thing at that time without distraction. I just don't understand the attitude towards people that want to do things there way. In my opinion online schools are the way of the future and as martial artist we need to figure out a better way to do it or there will be nothing but crap out there. So instead of always fighting change we may need to embrace it and find a way to do it better. There are kids growing up now that have never been without a computer or internet its part of them as they become adults we need to adjust or go the way of the dinosaur

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a good point I guess it depends on your goals for martial arts but even still its not like there is one set of rules for every style. Even with in an organization you can see large differences in skill levels between different schools in that same organization some better then others. So say we both learn Goju. You go to a traditional dojo and I use you tube clips and DVDs from Higaonna Sensei. We met at a seminar and I'm wearing the same rank as you but your better then me does it matter? Or I'm better then other students that go to a school my kata is crisper or looks better does it matter?

I would say that it obviously matters, or you wouldn't be training in a specific art, nor would you be attending seminars. The purpose of training is to either learn something new or become better at something we already know. I don't know of anybody who trains to get worse, or even to maintain the status quo. Getting better at a specific art requires at least some degree of feedback.
If it didn't matter, you probably wouldn't be at the seminar. You'd be waiting for the cliff notes version to appear on YouTube.

Now on flip side if I decided I want to be a professional fighter then yeah I need to go find a good teacher and good training partners. So I guess it depends on your reason for wanting to learn in the end.
As for injuries well like you said that can happen with or without a teacher so I'm not sure your more likely to be injured without one then with one but who knows. I've been injured more training with new people then I ever have with experienced people so you may be right.

If you've learned a technique incorrectly, you can injure yourself badly. Feedback from a qualified instructor helps to minimize this risk.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against the use of books/videos/osmosis/Vulcan Mind Melding to learn. I've written two books and am working on a third which are specifically intended to help students with their training. But they are a supplement to classroom training. Not a replacement.

I can easily explain to someone, in text or by video, how to perform a retrograde intubation or insert a chest tube. But I really wouldn't want someone with only that training performing the procedure on someone whose survival matters to me.
A textbook is a fine way to study pharmacology. But for some things, there is absolutely no replacement for hands-on training.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just don't get why people get so wrapped up around the my martial arts taught by a person is better then your martial arts taught by a TV screen. Who cares? Its not like were walking around every day having death matches on the street corner. You wanna learn something go learn it. You wanna learn from a book have fun you want to learn from a person have fun. But to say oh you will never really know it is just silly what makes you think your better then anyone else. At the same time I don't get why people come to martial arts forums looking for approval about their plan to home study. If you want to do it then go do why do you care what we think? Hell half the people on this site could be 14 year old kids for all you know and you care what we think?

It only matters if self defense training is your goal. If you believe you are trained to defnd yourself, but cannot if the situation requires it, then it matters even more. Otherwise the fantasy doesn't mean much either way.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nope I don't even know jason I'm just asking u your opinion if you only want to talk to jason and nobody else send him a PM otherwise this is a open thread anyone can ask anything they want.

I also don't disagree with you I to go to a live teacher because I enjoy it I like the interaction and the tine to just focus on that one thing at that time without distraction. I just don't understand the attitude towards people that want to do things there way. In my opinion online schools are the way of the future and as martial artist we need to figure out a better way to do it or there will be nothing but crap out there. So instead of always fighting change we may need to embrace it and find a way to do it better. There are kids growing up now that have never been without a computer or internet its part of them as they become adults we need to adjust or go the way of the dinosaur

Did I sufficiently answer your question?

And after almost 40 years I'm already a Martial Arts Dinosaur... it took a while, but I am OK with that now... I won't make it easier or simpler or less painful to train it so.... I am pretty much a dinosaur already..... online training for am MA or via DVD without a teacher...if that is where we are going.... it will only get more wattered down and worse the more of us that cave in to it.

Is this type of learning possible...well it may surprisemany that I think it is.... but only for a person who is INCREDIBLY observantwith great attention to detail who is INCREDIBLY dedicated and there are very few of those... in 40 years Ihave known 1..maybe 2... I am not entirely sure of the second one but both had a whole lot of MA training with teachers prior to thier path of DVD training. OK it was VHS training....what can I say...I'm old and knew them both 20 years ago.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It only matters if self defense training is your goal. If you believe you are trained to defnd yourself, but cannot if the situation requires it, then it matters even more. Otherwise the fantasy doesn't mean much either way.
I agree with that but your saying I can't learn to defend myself without a live teacher? Because I've seen people with no trading at all fight off attackers to defend themselves. I talked to a woman just 2 weeks ago at work someone tried to rape her. She remembered something she saw on dateline was able to fight him off and get a DNA sample I won't tell you from where but he's prob not walking real well.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
No but you did show me you know how to change the font size

then let me repeat myself

I can tell you I am a great grand soke master of any art you desire.... but it is from me with no verification. I can tell you that I learned Ti Kwan Leep by distance learning and it is quality..... by what do I set that standard.

He says it can be quality based on his experience, what is that experience and how does he qualify it as quality

I can do bold, italic and underline too as well as change the color.... that font size ok for you..... I am using the MT standard actually

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with that but your saying I can't learn to defend myself without a live teacher? Because I've seen people with no trading at all fight off attackers to defend themselves. I talked to a woman just 2 weeks ago at work someone tried to rape her. She remembered something she saw on dateline was able to fight him off and get a DNA sample I won't tell you from where but he's prob not walking real well.

That is exactly what I am saying. That doesn't mean you won't be able to defend yourself with your natural abilities, but no, you will not learn to defend yourself from Youtube, dvds, or a book. In fact, placing your trust in such learning could be more dangerous than not trying to learn anything at all. In my mind, relying on natural reactions is a heckuva lot more effective than relying on crap training that will have you doing the worst things you can do in a given situation.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
(ADDING FUEL TO THE FIRE) The never to agree-back and forth conversation would end if those that say its impossible would just say that they themselves are not capable of learning from video. :)

Personally its easier to admit my weakness than point out yours.
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions