Have gain 24 pounds Since February. Do you have this problem?

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was at a healthy 150 lbs before Pandemic. I am now at an unheathly 174. My blood sugar and pressure has gone up a little bit. My wife works from home now and cooks very good meals. Now I am get wonderful meals, I can't let go to waste. Exercise is not enough. I tell her I am getting to fat and she cooks my favorite cheese cake. Do any of you have this problem?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does your wife have mind control powers? If not, don't blame her for your lack of impulse control.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Discipline and self control in everything you do.
My wife is a great cook but that doesn't mean I have to eat everything she prepares in one sitting or even 2.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You're not alone. I think most people, outside of maybe @skribs and @Danny T, have gained a few. If you've ever heard of the Freshman 15, we jokingly refer to the quarantine weight gain as the Covid 19. I gained about 10 lbs, but now that we're out exercising again, it's dropping off. At 50, I find it doesn't drop off as quickly as at 35, but that's okay.

While I try to prepare a reasonable portion for three people, sometimes, I only know how to make enough to feed an army. I've been doing a lot of cooking and baking, but we've started sharing "care packages" with the neighbors. Works great.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know how to cook, so when my wife was not home, I only ate tuna, ham, pickles and other things you don't cook.
It is hard to pass up hot meals. She likes to cook foods high in carbs, she doesn't eat as much meat as me.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not saying I havent. I think I've plateaued (maybe lost a little muscle to fat). But I'm assigning the blame to myself, not anyone else. I could have had better portion control or done more exercise. I'm fully aware of the responsibility for my body condition.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know how to cook, so when my wife was not home, I only ate tuna, ham, pickles and other things you don't cook.
It is hard to pass up hot meals. She likes to cook foods high in carbs, she doesn't eat as much meat as me.
Be careful eating too much tuna. Get mercury poisoning.

I'm not interested in playing the blame game. But if I were, I'd blame @skribs for my weight gain. Can't be my fault. ;)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do any of you have this problem?
I have the opposite problem. I lost 15 lb in the past 5 years. No matter how much that I may eat, I can't get my weight back. My wife suggests me to eat a lot of ice cream. But I'm not interested in those cold stuff.

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No ones forcing you to eat and no ones forcing you not to exercise. Can’t blame your wife for your choices.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let her make what she wants, and put the extra in the fridge/freezer. Then when she makes new food, put that in the fridge/freezer, and eat the leftovers. One of two things will happen-she'll stop overcooking, or you'll be stuck on the couch for a while :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been fortunate, my weight hasn't changed at all. Even though I haven't been going to the couple of gyms I usually go to, I've been working out on my own just about every day. Of course, I have all the time in the world, I haven't been to work since March. It's kind of easy when you have the time.

I do like to remind myself that those exercises ain't going to do themselves.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your wife have mind control powers? If not, don't blame her for your lack of impulse control.

I'm guessing you're not married.
All wives have mind control powers. Happy Wife Happy Life isn't just a figure of speech. If she's fixing food and you're not eating it, she may very well be unhappy. And a wise man once said, 'if she's unhappy, you're unhappy. And if she's unhappy long enough, you're going to be unhappy, with half your stuff.'

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
All wives have mind control powers. Happy Wife Happy Life isn't just a figure of speech. If she's fixing food and you're not eating it, she may very well be unhappy. And a wise man once said, 'if she's unhappy, you're unhappy. And if she's unhappy long enough, you're going to be unhappy, with half your stuff.'
Like I said, it'll either work out, or you'll be on the couch for a bit.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I wish we had an agree, like, funny and you ain't just whistling Dixie button all rolled into one.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Today I weight 169 lb. I have been bounced back and forth between 167 and 169. I really like to get back to my 182 lb normal weight. No matter how much that I may eat, I just can't get back to even 170.

May be I should try to be a couch potato for a couple of months.

couch-potato.jpg

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Today I weight 169 lb. I have been bounced back and forth between 167 and 169. I really like to get back to my 182 lb normal weight. No matter how much that I may eat, I just can't get back to even 170.

May be I should try to be a couch potato for a couple of months.

couch-potato.jpg
At your age not being able to gain weight might be a medical problem. You should go to a doctor and have test run.
My cousin seem to be a very health 60 year old, but die of colon cancer in less than a year.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been fortunate, my weight hasn't changed at all. Even though I haven't been going to the couple of gyms I usually go to, I've been working out on my own just about every day. Of course, I have all the time in the world, I haven't been to work since March. It's kind of easy when you have the time.

I do like to remind myself that those exercises ain't going to do themselves.
We’ve also been out of work and I’ve been directing our home workouts. It’s funny, I say the same thing: well, that training isn’t going to do itself. Or the projects around the house: well, I’ve been waiting all morning but I don’t see that room painting itself yet...

Latest Discussions