Evening classes, what do you eat afterward?

benj13bowlin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There is no point to a diet if you don't enjoy the foods you have to eat. Even though there are times where I wish steamed brown rice without salt or butter and dry chicken breast were my favorite foods.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I usually weight train for about 45 minutes (after a 15 minute cardio warmup), before a 1.5 hour MA class. I'll have an afternoon meal (usually a homemade breakfast burrito (flour tortilla, egg, sausage)) around 4:30pm. At 5pm, I'll take a dose of BCAA, then begin my training around 6pm. As mentioned, cardio and weight training 6-7pm, MA class 7-8:30pm.

After I get home at night, I'll have a high-quality protein source meal (chicken, salmon, etc.) plus whatever vegetables I feel like. No pasta, potatos, rice, etc.

R. McLain

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I usually weight train for about 45 minutes (after a 15 minute cardio warmup), before a 1.5 hour MA class. I'll have an afternoon meal (usually a homemade breakfast burrito (flour tortilla, egg, sausage)) around 4:30pm. At 5pm, I'll take a dose of BCAA, then begin my training around 6pm. As mentioned, cardio and weight training 6-7pm, MA class 7-8:30pm.

After I get home at night, I'll have a high-quality protein source meal (chicken, salmon, etc.) plus whatever vegetables I feel like. No pasta, potatos, rice, etc.

R. McLain
I've read where a lot of people cut out the carbs at night. Other than the tortilla/starch at 4:30, do you eat any other starches?

anubis4b

White Belt
Reaction score
After classes, either day or evening, I'll have a Zone Perfect bar (210 Calories, 7g fat, 25g carbs, 14g protein) or 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese with 1/2 cup of pineapple chunks. Either is with at least a liter of water.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
After classes, either day or evening, I'll have a Zone Perfect bar (210 Calories, 7g fat, 25g carbs, 14g protein) or 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese with 1/2 cup of pineapple chunks. Either is with at least a liter of water.
I just discovered Crowley's Nonfat Pineapple Cottage Cheese and have been eating that as part of my breakfast and for an occasional evening snack. Loads of protein.

I like the Zone bars, especially the chocolate mint ones. Haven't had one in awhile though.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can live indefinatly on tuna fish and chicken breasts, I did during my single days..

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have class from 7 - 8 pm. I always eat a substantial snack around 4:30 pm, like a peanut butter sandwich (about 400 calories) or some chicken and rice - something healthy and balanced.

I may not be hungry right after class, but I will surely get hungry by 10:00 or 11:00 pm and usually down about 400 more calories.

To answer your question: I eat a meal replacement protein shake, supplements, juice and a banana with honey pre-training. This is about 4:30 and I start training at around 5:30. This goes till around 8pm. Then I go and get dinner. And it is ALWAYS substantial. Usually either homecooked, or takeaway, usually Japanese or Nando's chicken. On average about 2000 calories would be my estimate, and that's just an estimate because I don't count.

I need to lose about 20 pounds. Weight loss is not always easy. You either lose it slowly like I am doing now or you submit to hunger pangs, nausea and weakness.

Maybe because you want to lose weight, you wouldn't eat as much as me after training. But take in some carbs and some protein after training for sure. Even if it is a decent recovery shake and a multi vitamin. However while that will provide nutrition, you'll likely still feel hungry. That's on reason why I go with solid food after training. And I must disagree with your above statement- you should never have to submit to hunger pangs, nausea and weakness to lose weight. Do it healthily- food is your friend in the weight loss department!!!

Do you eat after evening classes?

Do you eat to feed your muscles/replenish glycogen stores regardless of whether you're hungry or not?

I always eat after class as I answered above. Your metabolism is flying through the roof after training, and the pangs are your body's way of saying 'feed me'. I do always eat to replenish my glycogen levels, and to get my body out of a catabolic state. A catabolic state leads to decreased muscle mass, which leads over time to a slower metabolism. I prefer to burn fat and spare my muscle. Plus after training, you need to prep your body for rest and recovery- it needs fuel to do this.

Just my 2 cents

:)

Good luck

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've read where a lot of people cut out the carbs at night. Other than the tortilla/starch at 4:30, do you eat any other starches?

Yes. For breakfast, I'll either have a breakfast burrito or a cup of oatmeal (with whey protein powder).

I usually have a mid-morning snack and a mid-afternoon snack. Snacks: Sometimes, I'll have some frozen fruit (it's frozen when I pack it in the morning but is simply cold when I get around to eating it) or I'll have a 100 calorie cookie pack made by Nabisco. I've tried nurtition/protein bars for snacks or meal replacements in the past. The sugar-alcohol sweeteners always tear my stomach up.

My lunch may be a sandwich, depends on the day. Sometimes lunch will be leftovers from the dinner the night before.

R. McLain

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To answer your question: I eat a meal replacement protein shake, supplements, juice and a banana with honey pre-training. This is about 4:30 and I start training at around 5:30. This goes till around 8pm. Then I go and get dinner. And it is ALWAYS substantial. Usually either homecooked, or takeaway, usually Japanese or Nando's chicken. On average about 2000 calories would be my estimate, and that's just an estimate because I don't count.

Maybe because you want to lose weight, you wouldn't eat as much as me after training. But take in some carbs and some protein after training for sure. Even if it is a decent recovery shake and a multi vitamin. However while that will provide nutrition, you'll likely still feel hungry. That's on reason why I go with solid food after training. And I must disagree with your above statement- you should never have to submit to hunger pangs, nausea and weakness to lose weight. Do it healthily- food is your friend in the weight loss department!!!

I always eat after class as I answered above. Your metabolism is flying through the roof after training, and the pangs are your body's way of saying 'feed me'. I do always eat to replenish my glycogen levels, and to get my body out of a catabolic state. A catabolic state leads to decreased muscle mass, which leads over time to a slower metabolism. I prefer to burn fat and spare my muscle. Plus after training, you need to prep your body for rest and recovery- it needs fuel to do this.

Just my 2 cents

:)

Good luck
Thanks meth (meth?). I definitely do not want to lose any muscle. I've just started having a High-Protein Slim-Fast (not the line that's mostly sugar) after class. If I get hungry two hours later, I suppose I'll eat a small balanced meal or moderate snack. I doubt I need the 2000 calories since I need to lose weight, but I tell you, after regular class followed by a sparring class the other night, my body might have loved 2000 calories.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes. For breakfast, I'll either have a breakfast burrito or a cup of oatmeal (with whey protein powder).

I usually have a mid-morning snack and a mid-afternoon snack. Snacks: Sometimes, I'll have some frozen fruit (it's frozen when I pack it in the morning but is simply cold when I get around to eating it) or I'll have a 100 calorie cookie pack made by Nabisco. I've tried nurtition/protein bars for snacks or meal replacements in the past. The sugar-alcohol sweeteners always tear my stomach up.

My lunch may be a sandwich, depends on the day. Sometimes lunch will be leftovers from the dinner the night before.

R. McLain
I see. You cut the carbs at night only. I tried some of the low-carb bars with malitol. I also drank a diet pepsi with it. Oh my...well, I won't go into details but WWII comes to mind. I'm not touching malitol, sorbitol or any other "tols" again.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Double fistfuls of dark chocolate M&Ms. Because they taste goooood. :p
I like the dark ones, too. Have you tried the Lindt 85% Cacao bars? For some people, they're too bitter. If you really like chocolate, you might love them. But then I can eat the 100% cacao baker's chocolate. Really.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the dark ones, too. Have you tried the Lindt 85% Cacao bars? For some people, they're too bitter. If you really like chocolate, you might love them. But then I can eat the 100% cacao baker's chocolate. Really.

Never tried them. My wife's a chocolate fiend, and she's the one who keeps buying the stuff. I'm simply compelled to eat it because it's in the house. I may have to recommend those to her.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks meth (meth?). I definitely do not want to lose any muscle. I've just started having a High-Protein Slim-Fast (not the line that's mostly sugar) after class. If I get hungry two hours later, I suppose I'll eat a small balanced meal or moderate snack. I doubt I need the 2000 calories since I need to lose weight, but I tell you, after regular class followed by a sparring class the other night, my body might have loved 2000 calories.

Meth- short for Method Man. LOL!!! It's an old nickname, nothing sinister in it :) Shakes are handy additions to a diet aren't they? I need my shakes everyday!!! Sounds like you have a good plan in place now. Good luck with it all.

Don't forget to treat yourself from time to time too. It's always easier to stick to a clean diet with little treats here and there. I have a bodybuilder friend who eats really 'clean', but still eats ice-cream on Wednesday night and once on weekend. Not a huge amount, just a normal serving. He cuts it out leading to competition though. But these treats don't harm his physique- it is quite amazing!

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi Lynne, what I would recommend is a protein shake, but make sure it's Casein Protein. f you are taking it at night after a workout this the best stuff. It breaks down slower, basically while you are sleeping. My TKD class ends around 9:30pm and I take this every night.

I managed to lose over 50 lbs in 6 months. I did protein shake for breakfast, protein bar for lunch, normal supper. Snacks in between consisted of fruit, beef jerky (lots of protein), and drank almost nothing but water. And of course a Casein Protein Shake before bed.

YOu want to take a normal protein shake or power bar, this will keep you awake, and if you ae trying to stay healthy and drop weight sleep is very important.

Hope that helps, feel free to email me also.

[email protected]

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score

How hardcore is the caffeine in those Lindt bars tho? I find a couple of squares of the 85% Lindt makes me feel rather speedy... more so than a strong cup of tea even! :erg:

(tho i have to say, it doesn't stop me from eating it...)

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Meth- short for Method Man. LOL!!! It's an old nickname, nothing sinister in it :) Shakes are handy additions to a diet aren't they? I need my shakes everyday!!! Sounds like you have a good plan in place now. Good luck with it all.

Don't forget to treat yourself from time to time too. It's always easier to stick to a clean diet with little treats here and there. I have a bodybuilder friend who eats really 'clean', but still eats ice-cream on Wednesday night and once on weekend. Not a huge amount, just a normal serving. He cuts it out leading to competition though. But these treats don't harm his physique- it is quite amazing!
I have some treats here and there. I gave up the austere thing for good!

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How hardcore is the caffeine in those Lindt bars tho? I find a couple of squares of the 85% Lindt makes me feel rather speedy... more so than a strong cup of tea even! :erg:

(tho i have to say, it doesn't stop me from eating it...)
Good question about the caffeine. I don't know. I'd imagine it would be high.

I drink coffee and diet pepsi and also an occasional energy drink so I don't notice the caffeine.

Once I drank a low-carb Rock Star energy drink and definitely noticed the caffeine in that. I was driving and I started feeling nauseous and my heart started palpitating.