Food for thought!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last night I had stopped by the grocery store to pick up a few things to carry me through the week as my son and I take our lunches to school and work (respectively). I didn't get a whole lot of stuff, just a few things (healthy things), such as fruits, vegatables, meat, and so forth. My bill was $55. Of course this isn't anything new with me, actually that is cheaper than most hits to my wallet by the grocery store.

However, it made me start thinking about some of the issues surrounding obesity in this country (I am a fat boy too). I exercise and eat healthy, but the focus here is eating healthy and the COST of eating healthy. Something that has occured to me (often but thought it would be interesting to discuss), is that professionals in the field of nutrition constantly admonish us to make healthy eating choices and say that the problem with society is that they fail to make correct choices. In part I agree with that, but I believe that the poor choices are a symptom of an even deeper problem, ECONOMICS. See, food that is inexpensive, typically has large amounts of sodium, fat, and sugar, among the many heavy preservatives, and the thing that is missing is any relavence to nutrition. These items cost LESS, much LESS, than the foods that are low in sodium, low(er) in fat or has good fat, low or even abscent of refined sugars, and has no preservatives. In an effort to try to feed their family, people want to maximize their buying power by trying to get AS MUCH as they can with what they have. Rather than trying to purchase what they need from nutritional foods. Basically, for many Americans (maybe elsewhere too), healthy food is not cost effective with the money they have.

To compound the problem, the foods that are high in bad fats, sodium, and refined sugars, have tastes that are enhanced by those ingredients, to the point that real and good food tastes bland. This re-inforces or makes the purchase of these things even more attractive.

Now, I understand, many people simply do not know how to make good choices, but many do, but don't make those choices, for basically one or both of these reasons, COST and/or TASTE.

Anyway, I thought I would throw my thoughts and opinions out there, based on my observations. Lastly, I would like to reiterate, I personally will purchase what foods I need to make healthy meals, because it is a priority to me.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey David,

That is a good post and very true. It does COST more to eat healthy and I can definately see where that affects some people. However, I think even more people are affected by the fact that to cook healthy is a lot harder than to microwave or warm up some frozen food. Both of these may have something to do with why our country is so overweight!

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Hey David,

That is a good post and very true. It does COST more to eat healthy and I can definately see where that affects some people. However, I think even more people are affected by the fact that to cook healthy is a lot harder than to microwave or warm up some frozen food. Both of these may have something to do with why our country is so overweight!

Brian R. VanCise

That is a great point! I agree! Actually, I should have mentioned that too! :D That definitely plays in there too!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree 100% with both of those points... not to mention that when you work weird hours, (especially people on second shift jobs who arent home to cook) the office microwave or the 99cent value menu is often the only real option you have for a hot meal.

I know because thats where I have been the past few years and its HARD to eat well... I dont wanna come home from work at 11 and cook dinner...

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find all these points to be very true. The one that least effects me personally is taste. I try to make healthy choices for me and my family all the time. But it is EXPENSIVE to eat healthy. I'm already spending a small fortune at the grocery store every month. We all also lead busy lives and *cooking* is not a pleasure for me. It's just another chore. So I don't enjoy spending unnecessary time to preparing whole foods. I do the best I can, but eating healthier should not be such a burden.

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It is expensive to eat healthy. We got to the grocery store every week and our bill is always over $100. Why? Because I buy a lot of fresh fruits and veggies and that stuff isn't cheap. Plus I buy organic naturally raised meats and poultry which also isn't cheap. And while that sucks, it pays out in the long run because I'm making good meals for us all week long.

I also want to add, that while it is easier to heat something up in the microwave or oven, I think that has great appeal not only for the quick factor but I think a lot of people don't even know how to cook. Even basic stuff, people just seem to have no clue how to make themselves a meal. I find this extremely sad. Of course you can't make a healthy meal if you don't even know where to start. Although, I have no idea how to address that problem. Maybe people don't have any interest in learning how to cook?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I agree 100% with both of those points... not to mention that when you work weird hours, (especially people on second shift jobs who arent home to cook) the office microwave or the 99cent value menu is often the only real option you have for a hot meal.

I know because thats where I have been the past few years and its HARD to eat well... I dont wanna come home from work at 11 and cook dinner...

That is definately another good point! Working strange hours can definately lead you to trying to cook fast (or not at all) and get it over with. I have definately been there and done that.

Brian R. VanCise

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only thing I disagree with is that healthy food tastes bland. Other than that, I'm with you 100%. Also, eating healthy at home is still less expensive than eating at fast food places all the time. Know too many people who do that and actually think they are saving money.

Jeff

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I changed my eating habits after a fight with my gallbladder! My gallbladder is no longer with me but I have since developed a much better eating plan. I am 40 lbs lighter, blood pressure dropped from 135/120 to 110/60, cholestrol is normal and resting heart rate went from 75 bpm down to 58!
The food bill is higher now but it costs you far more not to take good care of yourself!

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tarot said:
I think a lot of people don't even know how to cook. Even basic stuff, people just seem to have no clue how to make themselves a meal. I find this extremely sad. Of course you can't make a healthy meal if you don't even know where to start.

How true this is! I am still teaching myself how to cook - a recipe is only a suggestion! But my sister who is recently married with baby number two due in only weeks had an easter dinner, and almost everything was made from a box. The only two things she made on her own were a recipe of my mom's (texas potatos) and mashed potatoes. Everything else was already made or "instant".

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
The only thing I disagree with is that healthy food tastes bland. Other than that, I'm with you 100%. Also, eating healthy at home is still less expensive than eating at fast food places all the time. Know too many people who do that and actually think they are saving money.

Jeff
Actually, it was a matter of comparison, the loaded foods are so much more enhanced in flavor (as if MSG was used), that real food is not nearly as robust and by comparison seems bland. I agree with you though, real food is not bland.

On the contrary, I believe that nowadays it is cheaper to eat fast food than buy groceries and eat at home. I refuse to do it, but I am beginning to believe it is cheaper.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stickarts said:
I changed my eating habits after a fight with my gallbladder! My gallbladder is no longer with me but I have since developed a much better eating plan. I am 40 lbs lighter, blood pressure dropped from 135/120 to 110/60, cholestrol is normal and resting heart rate went from 75 bpm down to 58!
The food bill is higher now but it costs you far more not to take good care of yourself!
I am with you there! I have lost the fight with mine as well. In addition to now eating right, and trying to work out regularly, I also make every effort to reduce stress in my daily life.

I too have noticed my grocery bill is much higher now. It isn't cost effective but it is still worth it to me health wise.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Its all about comparison. What is more expensive, eating healthy or treating the diseases that accompany poor eating habits?

My wife and I shop at the local Whole Foods Coop. We spend more there, but we find that we eat less because of it. Also, the added expense really forces us to plan our meals. I'm very proud that our kids don't drink soda, eat lots of candy, or any junkfood. For example, a snack that my daughter begs for is dried fruit.

Most of those seem like good things to me.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While eating healthier meals is often more expensive, I think that eating healthier snacks is cheaper than eating unhealthy ones. Case in point, apples and bananas cost less than a large fry (or even a small one) at most fast food joints.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
While eating healthier meals is often more expensive, I think that eating healthier snacks is cheaper than eating unhealthy ones. Case in point, apples and bananas cost less than a large fry (or even a small one) at most fast food joints.

good point!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:

That really is a good point and unfortunately it is something that many people in our society seem to miss. (including myself sometimes)

Brian R. VanCise

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Indeed... when you buy convenience foods, you are paying for the fact that they are prepared, or cooked, or whatever is appropriate to the food - prechopped fruit and vegetables are a good example of this. I could buy fruit already chopped, but I won't, because the cost is too high - I would rather chop fruit myself... and yes, sometimes, I don't eat it in time because I didn't take the time to prep it, but that's still cheaper than paying 3 or 4 times more because it's been peeled and chopped already. The one exception to that, for me, is if I want a mix of things that I can't get without buying a quantity too large to eat before it goes bad - like stir-fry vegetables. It is harder (and more expensive) to buy fresh food in smaller packages, but it can be done.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a more insidious problem in some communities than others. Some of our least well off fellow citizens live in communities where the choices available are much more restrictive than the local Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Without private transportation, and limited routes of public transportation, getting to a store that offers choices among healthy and/or organic food selections, assuming they can be afforded, is often not possible. The only choices that are geographically possible are small local urban markets that often do not have fresh fruits and vegetables.

In the town where I vacation, (permanent population approximately 940) the closest full service market is over 30 miles away. The 'in-town' market does carry fruit, but there are not daily shipments. There have been many articles about Grocery Store flight from rural communities.

Those of use who live in the suburbs and small urban areas have wonderful choices, if we can afford them and take advantage of them. Others in our society are not so lucky.

Mike