Hard decision

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, it is all Kenpo eventually! <newGuy12 ducks>

Seriously, though, the Iyengar Students are probably very strong.

I have to start to do this Yoga myself! I only need to get the morning ritual going, and it will be mine!

All the Best, Sir,

Robert

You BETTER Duck :D

Just kidding I like kenpo, I am just not going to be training it. But that was my most recent Xingyiquan sifu&#8217;s root art and he is a good fighter it is just he is a kenpo fighter not Xingyiquan.

Currently I actually do have a morning practice that is about 30 to 40 minutes long but it is power yoga. I am going to see what my schedule is like in the fall and then if time allows I will go check out the Iyengar school. But I am actually somewhat serious when I say I never seem to fit into a Yoga class, I&#8217;m just not that peaceful, I wish I could be, but I&#8217;m not.

Crazy CMA guy! 3.5-4 hours training a day, for a family man, has to be a bit of a strain. I can certainly see how someone might look for ways to streamline that.

My sifu says he does 2 hours a day&#8230; and he does&#8230; but after much discussion I discovered he was ONLY referring to his training of the long form and qigong. He feels the other is just additional and does not really track how long that takes&#8230; he thinks maybe an extra hour or 2. But add to that Yoga, Xingyi, Sanda and anything else and you have just quit your job and told your family don&#8217;t bother me for 6 out of 7 days a week, and I like my family... but the whole quit work thing would be ok.... now if I could just find a way to have them keep paying me and I got this thing under control :D

BTW, I was about 50 when I seriously began San Soo. Wasn't really a brilliant choice, but I haven't been accused of being smart very often in life (but X S, I bet you haven't either, have you? ). Anyway. It was great, I loved it, but the body's old injuries (cervical vertebrae chips, knees that are now less hinge joints, and more like ball joints, etc., etc. ad nauseum ) kinda forced me to back off the structured classes where people with less skill level in the MA's might hurt their partner (me!). And being in a wheelchair would definitely cramp any future San Soo training, so I backed off that. But it's still the backbone of what I do--and teach, so all in all, a good decision for me. I sense a similar serendipitous outcome awaiting you, Xue.

As I have said a few times before my wife tells me I am Martial Arts Crazy and she has told her whole family back in China that as well. But then my wife is a TCM OMD so I get free acupuncture. So if the injuries are not to bad she will fix me but if they are bad she will likely ask me to quit and I have learned she is generally right about these things.

Thanks

With all this standing around when are you going to have time to practice.:lfao::lfao::highfive:

Aww thats easy, I'm a state worker... we're espected to stand around, its in the contract :D

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good Luck with whatever direction you find yourself in. I've personally found that when my inner voice starts to tell me to move I should move; whether there appears to be logic behind the move or not.
I hope you end up in a place that really excites you again, and makes you hungry to go as far into it as possible :D

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You don't know how close you actually are.... kinda sorta maybe but no :EG: :D
Given that Kenpo is a way of thinking (martialy) I'm right on the money; however, it also means you were already studying a Kenpo/kempo or Chuan Fa.(hands of China).
Sean

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Given that Kenpo is a way of thinking (martialy) I'm right on the money; however, it also means you were already studying a Kenpo/kempo or Chuan Fa.(hands of China).
Sean

ahh but then from a CMA POV if Kempo is from Cuan fa and since I am, for all intensive purpopsese a CMA guy, then why call it kenpo at all? It is Chuna fa and any self respecting CMA guy will tell you it is all CMA anyway :D

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
ahh but then from a CMA POV if Kempo is from Cuan fa and since I am, for all intensive purpopsese a CMA guy, then why call it kenpo at all? It is Chuna fa and any self respecting CMA guy will tell you it is all CMA anyway :D

Exactly!!

You know I have been expecting something like this for a while given some of the conversations we have had. I honestly think that some of the seeming misgivings you have had regarding taiji of late have stemmed from your desire to do more with xingyi. And now you have a chance to really pursue this other interest. I think that this is a good thing for you. As I have said before, xingyi might be the neijia that you comprehand the best. And if not, at least you will have really strong legs.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you have parameters defining your art... its kempo.
Sean

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Best wishes for the change, XS! I'm going through a "change" at the moment, and let me tell you- it might not be real easy, but sometimes it's necessary.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're going to take up ballroom dancing you might as well take up as aikido as well, the principles are almost exactly the same, but when you dip your partner you don't let her go :D

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Xue,

I understand your desire to branch out. I ran into the same thing with TKD.

Do not worry. You will retain your skill and I assure you, your new ventures will broaden you and actually make you better at taijiquan.

And you know what is cool... you will be a white belt again! Trust me, it's a refreashing change!

Deaf

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue,

I understand your desire to branch out. I ran into the same thing with TKD.

Do not worry. You will retain your skill and I assure you, your new ventures will broaden you and actually make you better at taijiquan.

And you know what is cool... you will be a white belt again! Trust me, it's a refreashing change!

Deaf

White belt

I have not had a belt rank in 17 years so any belt would be a change :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
starting anew always seems to give one a different perspective of the arts. I know this form experience.

A little different approach to doing things opens even wider avenues of thought and lets the mind grow
enjoy your new art but never forget of lose your old one

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well I didn’t expect this but since I stopped training any Yang style (and I really do believe this was the best decision for me now) I find myself training, and liking the training of, Chen style Chan Si Jin (Chan Su Chin [Silk Reeling]) and I find I am back doing the Chen Taijiquan 18 form. But the Yoga appears to have run its course just like it did a few years back. I didn’t have time for the Chen stuff and Yoga and I went with what my gut wanted.

I think I will go with it for awhile and see where it leads but I am still working towards another style and still doing Xingyiquan.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I didn’t expect this but since I stopped training any Yang style (and I really do believe this was the best decision for me now) I find myself training, and liking the training of, Chen style Chan Si Jin (Chan Su Chin [Silk Reeling]) and I find I am back doing the Chen Taijiquan 18 form. But the Yoga appears to have run its course just like it did a few years back. I didn’t have time for the Chen stuff and Yoga and I went with what my gut wanted.

I think I will go with it for awhile and see where it leads but I am still working towards another style and still doing Xingyiquan.
Sounds like a positive development. Have found going with your gut rarely leads us astray. ;) Keep the updates coming. :)

JustAVisitor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Taking a step back (or forward :p) and trying new things will at the very least give you a new perspective on your experience and accomplishments. I bet that you will realize that you are much farther on the path that you thought you were, and that your understanding of the art is much deeper than you ever acknowledged. Indeed, it is hard to see anything when you are overwhelmed by the feeling there is just way too much to do, when there is so much to practice and so little time.

Trying new things is much fun and can enrich your outlook on things, but remember that it is not easy to fall in love again when you know what a long term commitment really is. You are going to be wandering for a while.:asian:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
So does this mean it's safe to insult your family and the Shaolin temple now?
icon10.gif