The count down is on!

snoack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
August 9th is D-day (black belt test date)

I've had to change my conditioning training. In addition to all of my curriculum requirements, fitness requirements are as follows-

run 2 miles in 20 minutes

100 pushups in 2 minutes

100 situps in 2 minutes

As I learned the hard way, lifting weights will NOT prepare you for pushups, nor will walking on a treadmill prepare you for the run, no matter how fast or at how high an incline you may walk.

So, for the next 6 weeks (5 1/2 now), fitness training is as follows:

run

pushups

situps

dips

no weights, no abs. Just this. So far, the running progress is going real well, and I know the other will come. The best thing about this is that I'm going to keep the running component of my training. Might hit the pushups and dips 1-2x per week after, but the running stays.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Be sure to start your running with run/walk/run activities, unless you already do a lot of running. Also either run more than 2 miles in the given time or run longer endurance runs when preparing for the final test objective.
Best of luck on the whole test
Keep us informed as to your progress and how the test goes

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Weight training is an excellant way to train...if done correctly.

and will help in your overall performances' ....Never limit yourself or beliefs

Bruce Lee found this out too...and increase his weight training in addition to all the other stuffs he did.
----------------------------------------

All martial artist testing, from just going to classes.....should be getting themselves in better shape and never stop excerising!

As time goes by you will find....PHYSCIAL EXCERISE...MOST IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR TRAINING (should be first) and always done daily.

Aloha

PS: the human body has so many muscles...what you are doing now..is limiting only certain muscles for training..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've had to change my conditioning training. In addition to all of my curriculum requirements, fitness requirements are as follows-

100 pushups in 2 minutes

100 situps in 2 minutes

As I learned the hard way, lifting weights will NOT prepare you for pushups, nor will walking on a treadmill prepare you for the run, no matter how fast or at how high an incline you may walk.

So, for the next 6 weeks (5 1/2 now), fitness training is as follows:

run

pushups

situps

dips

no weights, no abs. Just this. So far, the running progress is going real well, and I know the other will come. The best thing about this is that I'm going to keep the running component of my training. Might hit the pushups and dips 1-2x per week after, but the running stays.

Make sure you pace yourself. Hopefully, you've been preparing for this for a while now, and havent waited, as that could make things a bit more difficult. You may want to get used to doing the required amount first, and then worry about the time. In other words...get used to running the distance first, and then focus on the time. Its possible to do both at the same time, but in the event your time isnt up to standard, you'll find yourself getting frustrated. I had to run for my BB test, and I initially focused on the distance and then the time.

Best of luck to you and please let us know how the training is going, as well as how the test goes when that time gets here. :)

Mike

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just be careful that you pace yourself properly - an injury at this point will be hard to recover from in time.

OP
S

snoack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Be sure to start your running with run/walk/run activities, unless you already do a lot of running. Also either run more than 2 miles in the given time or run longer endurance runs when preparing for the final test objective.
Best of luck on the whole test
Keep us informed as to your progress and how the test goes

will do. Running's going pretty well, been doing a lot of brisk paced cardio on an incline on my treadmill for several months, not to mention the fact that I'm in pretty good shape overall.

Hello, Weight training is an excellant way to train...if done correctly.

and will help in your overall performances' ....Never limit yourself or beliefs

Bruce Lee found this out too...and increase his weight training in addition to all the other stuffs he did.
----------------------------------------

All martial artist testing, from just going to classes.....should be getting themselves in better shape and never stop excerising!

As time goes by you will find....PHYSCIAL EXCERISE...MOST IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR TRAINING (should be first) and always done daily.

Aloha

PS: the human body has so many muscles...what you are doing now..is limiting only certain muscles for training..

The hardest part for me is the transitioning to the endurance factor for the pushups. I just have to do them regularly. I'm an avid weight lifter with maxes in the "big 3" (bp, squats, and DLs) that are all well above my body weight. Biggest thing for me is focusing my training to the requirements.

Make sure you pace yourself. Hopefully, you've been preparing for this for a while now, and havent waited, as that could make things a bit more difficult. You may want to get used to doing the required amount first, and then worry about the time. In other words...get used to running the distance first, and then focus on the time. Its possible to do both at the same time, but in the event your time isnt up to standard, you'll find yourself getting frustrated. I had to run for my BB test, and I initially focused on the distance and then the time.

Best of luck to you and please let us know how the training is going, as well as how the test goes when that time gets here. :)

Mike

will do. Like I said above, I'm already in excellent shape, it's just a matter of transitioning my training.

Just be careful that you pace yourself properly - an injury at this point will be hard to recover from in time.

the thought of that scares the crap out of me. I have a physical issue with a cyst at the base of my spine, which is one of the main reasons I don't do situps regularly. So far so good, and I'm hoping to be able to hold out through this. At that point, if I never do another situp it will be too soon! :D

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And your technique? Have you improved it also?

Deaf

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The BEST of luck to ya..Keep us posted....

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck!
icon6.gif

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

100 pushups in 2 minutes

100 situps in 2 minutes

this is kinda wierd the run is extremely easy but the push-ups and sit-ups would max the Army PT any reason for this I run 2 miles in 14 minutes without really trying so I wouldnt think that would be hard, for the push-ups benching would definately help trust me it has upped mine quite a bit, also if you turn your hands out a bit and widen your push=up it will increase your pushups and lessen how far you have to go down oh and spread your feet a bit. On the sit-ups when you come up do what you do but lowering yourself just let you body drop good luck with your test

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Snoak,

Sounds like you have a good training program going for yourself here. But please remember that Rest, Hydration and Proper diet are also equally important when heading towards a rigorous testing. If the fuel tank in your body isn't properly filled up you will run out of gas fast and could cause injuries.

Good luck and let us know how things go, we will be there in spirit. :)

Latest Discussions