The decision has been made… with help…

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Original post
(background if anyone is interested)
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46684

The decision has been made I have decided to train Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu or Nanshin Shadow Style possibly Brazilian Ninjitsu no wait I got it Tae-Kwon-Leep :)

Ok back to reality, the decision has been made as to whether or not I will train Xingyi or Sanda

My Xingyi sifu is going to have to change the schedule again, he was honestly looking for a time that I could make it but in reality it comes down to I was only able to make on the day I was going. He was considering not changing it due to this but out of his current 8 Xingyi students I was the only one that could not make it any other day and 6 out of the 8 could not make it on the day it is currently on now that winter is over, so it will change. But to be honest I was leaning towards Sanda anyway. I love Xingyi but the more I have been thinking about it Sanda actually complements my Taiji in a way I feel my training needs to go. And being a dinosaur in MA I really appreciate the hard and rather traditional training, even though Sanda is not considered a traditional CMA

So it appears that I will be focusing on Sanda. However I think that after this hiatus I am going to ask my sifu if we cannot start from scratch or at least close to it so I can get back to the basics (influence from pstarr’s book, a lot of influence actually with this decision and I keep hearing my Jujitsu Sensei voice in my noggin telling me “There is strength in basics”). And of course I will train Yang style taiji, been doing it to long to stop actually.

However I have also decided that I really REALLY miss Chen style Taiji and I have started working on Chen Zhenglei’s 18 form, actually I was trying to get my laojia yilu back but it was just a tad bit overwhelming so I turned to the 18 which I studied briefly a few months ago. After I get the 18 down I will contact the group that is near me that trains with Zhenglei and see if they will help me correct the form.

And then (surprisingly) after I started working on the 18 I found that there is a member of the Chen family living and teaching in Beijing and he is taking students. I still have to contact him so see if he will meet with me the next time I am there, it looks promising. And from what I have found out, he teaches Chen with the martial arts VERY intact. And since as exile once called me a “Martial arts house-o-pain maniac” this works for me. (actually I ended up discovering this Chen family member based on a discussion with flying crane about another Chen teacher in Beijing “Feng Zhiqiang”)

I will also likely contact Zhenglei the next time he is in the area to see if I can join his group here so I can train here in the US since I am here more than I am in Beijing.

What does this mean, well for one I need to REALLY work on my Mandarin; neither of the Chen family people I am going to contact speaks much if any English.

Also this means I will be training Yang style, which I have been training for over 10 years and I will be starting my Chen training again after over 10 years off and of course SANDA. And I am smarter this time, I will not tell my Sanda sifu about Chen, just yet.

But during this time I have become VERY interested in Systema Breath training so I am looking into that as well. Something else that I feel gets me closer to where I feel I need to be. And after over 30 years of training it is kind of nice to have this whole thing appear to be coming together...AGAIN.

And I need to make a correction to one of my post, not sure which one, but the next stage of Sanda training is not going to be Qinna, it is more likely Shuaijiao …oooooh this is going to hurt :uhyeah:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, thats some big decisions!

Systema breath training looks AWESOME. Be interested in knowing if you go further.

Best of luck for the road ahead. Having gone through an agonizing change in my own training last year...I can relate :D :D

Looking forward to hearing more :D

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sounds like you've really thought this through carefully, well done for finding what you really want and never giving up.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sheng, I wish you the best in your training and where your journey takes you.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, certainly a circuitous route, but ain't it always? :)

Sounds like you've found a way to turn all the negatives into positives, and you're on your way to some good stuff. Really happy for you.

And all that pain couldn't happen to a nicer guy. :D Hope the trees survive in Beijing. :lol2:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's great new Xue, and I concur about pstarr's book. It's put some new thoughts in my head regarding training. :asian: I love Qinna. Used to train it fairly regulary when I was doing the Sil Lum. Have fun! :)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm glad you were able to make a decision! Let us know how it goes, ok? It does look and sound interesting...

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well after a 4 day marathon of watching Rorouni Kenshin over and over I decided that Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu was the ultimate in martial art so I decided….. oh wait… never mind…..back to reality :)

Thanks to all.

I hate letting Xingyi go but it appears that is what I am suppose to right now so why fight it. I have also stopped training just about all qigong that is not related to Taiji. Besides Systema breath training is very similar… emphasis on similar… it is not the same as any of the qigong I have trained, but I like what it does and what it is suppose to achieve. After a bit of an overzealous start I have also brought that back to the beginning, since I am a beginner there. I made the mistake of thinking my previous training gave me some advantage and it might, maybe a little, but not as much as I first thought.

Also Sanda is still on hiatus since I am still training Xingyi until the middle of next month. After that I will sit down with my Sanda sifu (actually more likely meet and go for a walk) and discuss what I feel I should do next and see what he actually believes I should do next.

Hey I got time… I’m not too old yet.

Latest Discussions