Hard decision

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So does this mean it's safe to insult your family and the Shaolin temple now?
icon10.gif

NO!!! :angry:

And now be very careful to not offend my family or Chenjiagou as well. :mst:

And you may have just offended my family and you may have offended Chenjiagou too... but I am not sure yet :mst:

mfuent1

White Belt
Reaction score
I have enrolled only today and this is my first post. It is a pleasure to be a part of this community. On the subject of incorporating other trainings: I studied Hsing-I quite a few years back but later took up the study of Yang style T'ai Chi. Over the years, my Hsing-I practice tapered off completely but I would now like to resume, at least the Five Elements forms. I understand the need for practicing San Ti Shih and will of course incorporate that into every session. My question is, would it be better to divide my remaining practice time and give equal emphasis to each of the Five Elements, or is it better to devote the full time to just one of the elements? And if so, would you recommend practicing a different element daily, or practicing one exclusively for a week or more before moving to the next? Thank you for your help.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have only limited experince myself in Xingyiquan but I spend the majority of my time in training Santi shi these days.

I have been taught the 5 elements, the five elements cascade form and I was shown the 12 animals by my first sifu but I currently only remember 2 of the animal forms one being Tiger and the other I know the form but I cannot remember the name.

When I practiced Wuxing and when I practiced in in the past I would train each one seperatley first. Actually that is how my sifus taught me as well and always in this order

Piquan, (chopping fist) - metal
Zuanquan, (drilling fist) - water
Bengquan, (crushing fist) - woo
Paoquan, (cannon fist) - fire
Hengquan, (horizontal fist) - earth

I tend to focus on Piquan first and work with that for a week or two and then work with Piquan and Zuanquan for a while and then Piquan, Zuanquan and Bengquan and so on until I am back at all 5 but the one I add I spend more time on. After that I work on the linking form. But as I said I am currently focusing on Santi shi. I brought just about every part of my internal CMA training back to the root. After I am comfortable (and happy) with my training at that level I will move on. And in Xingyiquan that means moving on to Piquan first.

mfuent1

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you kindly for your reply. I think your suggestion is sound, and I plan to follow your recommendation. Good luck to you in your new endeavors.

Latest Discussions