Great Night!

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello everybody, Just had to share what a fantastic evening I had. My oldest two sons were going for their very first promotions and instead of just being the proud Papa on the side, the school owner and head instructor gave me a call and told me to bring along my Gi as well. Turns out he figured I needed to be up front with him and the other main instructor because I have been helping out with the kids programs. He said the kids look to me as one of their instructors and it was my place to be up there also. It was really neat to be able to watch all the kids I have been helping the past few weeks from a position like that. When my sons were awarded their first colored belts it almost brought tears to my eyes to be able to help present it to them. I hope it is the first in a line of many promotions I get to witness for my boys.

As a side note, :asian: all respects and gratitude to all of you who teach on a regular basis. :asian: It is a sobering moment to sit up there with truely skilled instructors, and know how far I have to go yet. I had to take the Juniors class on Tuesday and it was the first class I ever presented on my own. I about gave myself a stroke from being nervous and I'll admit to being intimidated by those trusting faces looking back at me.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like a great night was had by all - thanks for sharing!

Naha

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
congrats to all. I know you're a proud parent. My children actually started karate about six-seven months before me; therefore, most of my tests have been with one of them. That is a nerve-racking thing. I'm always worried more about them than myself. Since I'm ahead of them now, I can maybe "relax" on my next test.

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
congrats to all. I know you're a proud parent. My children actually started karate about six-seven months before me; therefore, most of my tests have been with one of them. That is a nerve-racking thing. I'm always worried more about them than myself. Since I'm ahead of them now, I can maybe "relax" on my next test.

For you, yes, but as soon as their feet hit the mat, you are still going to be on pins and needles. I can do a demo for promotion without being a bit nervous, but about came undone when they had to put one together. Every other parent I have talked to who trains as well as their kids say the same thing.

Naha

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
True. I rarely get nervous about what I have to do. I know my own abilities, but we all want our kids to succeed. I have more worries associated with my kids than anything I've ever done; be it military, MA, whatever. That's the way it should be. We should put them ahead of the other things in life. I'll stop before I go into the rant that the Breaking Bonaduce thread caused when I read it.
:soapbox:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent..What an honor..Congrats to you and your boys...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a fantastic night!:ultracool Congrats to all of you! :)

Mike

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello everybody, Just had to share what a fantastic evening I had. My oldest two sons were going for their very first promotions and instead of just being the proud Papa on the side, the school owner and head instructor gave me a call and told me to bring along my Gi as well. Turns out he figured I needed to be up front with him and the other main instructor because I have been helping out with the kids programs. He said the kids look to me as one of their instructors and it was my place to be up there also. It was really neat to be able to watch all the kids I have been helping the past few weeks from a position like that. When my sons were awarded their first colored belts it almost brought tears to my eyes to be able to help present it to them. I hope it is the first in a line of many promotions I get to witness for my boys.

As a side note, :asian: all respects and gratitude to all of you who teach on a regular basis. :asian: It is a sobering moment to sit up there with truely skilled instructors, and know how far I have to go yet. I had to take the Juniors class on Tuesday and it was the first class I ever presented on my own. I about gave myself a stroke from being nervous and I'll admit to being intimidated by those trusting faces looking back at me.

Congratulations. That is indeed something to be proud of. :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
congradulations to all.

The fear of teaching or putting togeather a demo for the first time, I am sure, has been felt like many of us.

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I want to thank everybody here for their support and kind words. I was riding an emotional high and had to share it with a group that I knew would understand the feeling. Thanks again, just goes to show why I love this forum.

Latest Discussions