Great Night at the Dojo

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last night I took 2 of my ruffians to their classes and probably enjoyed it more than they did. Last night the Dojo had a "Bring a Friend" night for the kids classes, so I tossed my gear into the van just in case he wanted me to do anything (man the desk and answer parents questions, get the phone, minor details that being in a Gi would facilitate recognition of a connection with the Dojo.) Well we get there and the training area is already swimming in kids (well for our little Dojo anyway.) When he saw me carrying my gear bag the instructor gets a big grin and tells me to hurry up and change and get out there with him. It turns out the other BB who usually helps with the kids classes was called out on an emergency work call and flew out of town that morning, there was already one other parent that is also in the adult class out there as well. Well, last night after bowing in and out for these many years in my own classes, I was one of those standing in front for the first time. What an honor!! What a scary proposition as well!! What a humbling experence to have a kid ask how to do a technique and just expect you to know it no questions, because you are one of the "instructors". That was an amazing evening and just is going to fuel my desire to continue my own training for a long time to come.

The "Little Dragon" class had 16 kids and the "Junior" class had 10. For the Junior class there was just the head instructor and myself as "teachers". I tip my hat to all of you who do this week after week, class after class! :asian:

Side note: My boys both loved the fact that Dad was Uke and they got to see their Uncle (school owner and head instructor) tumble me around. It was their first time seeing me and my Brother training together and not just goofing around on a Sunday afternoon. I hope it strengthened their resolve to continue in the MA's.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is an awesome feeling isn't it? Doing those minor things you mentioned have lead to a career in the martial arts for me. And it's that very feeling that keeps me going everyday.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last night I took 2 of my ruffians to their classes and probably enjoyed it more than they did. Last night the Dojo had a "Bring a Friend" night for the kids classes, so I tossed my gear into the van just in case he wanted me to do anything (man the desk and answer parents questions, get the phone, minor details that being in a Gi would facilitate recognition of a connection with the Dojo.) Well we get there and the training area is already swimming in kids (well for our little Dojo anyway.) When he saw me carrying my gear bag the instructor gets a big grin and tells me to hurry up and change and get out there with him. It turns out the other BB who usually helps with the kids classes was called out on an emergency work call and flew out of town that morning, there was already one other parent that is also in the adult class out there as well. Well, last night after bowing in and out for these many years in my own classes, I was one of those standing in front for the first time. What an honor!! What a scary proposition as well!! What a humbling experence to have a kid ask how to do a technique and just expect you to know it no questions, because you are one of the "instructors". That was an amazing evening and just is going to fuel my desire to continue my own training for a long time to come.

The "Little Dragon" class had 16 kids and the "Junior" class had 10. For the Junior class there was just the head instructor and myself as "teachers". I tip my hat to all of you who do this week after week, class after class! :asian:

Side note: My boys both loved the fact that Dad was Uke and they got to see their Uncle (school owner and head instructor) tumble me around. It was their first time seeing me and my Brother training together and not just goofing around on a Sunday afternoon. I hope it strengthened their resolve to continue in the MA's.
Watch those kids carefully; they pick up things about the art that you will miss. That is humbling.
Sean

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
What a humbling experence to have a kid ask how to do a technique and just expect you to know it no questions, because you are one of the "instructors".

Instructing has got to be *the* best way to get a better and deeper understanding of techniques.

Glad to hear you had a good time with it :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's really great! You may have said or done something that positively impact one of those kids for life.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good for you! Keep training hard and improving plus when you get a chance try and make that positive impact on someone that you did last night!

Latest Discussions