Demos and promotions

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just came back from the demos and promotions for our Dojo and have to say what a great time it was. It is the first time I have gone to one in a LONG-LONG time and I had almost forgotten how great it is. I got to see my Nephew gain a rank, along with several old friends and a few new friends also. For some it was their first demo/promotion and you could see the nerviousness (sp?), and it just brought back the memory and feelings of my first one from so long ago. It was very sweet (can a grown adult male use that word?) to see my brother who is the owner/head instructor give his son his new rank. For everyone who advanced tonight he had some positive words and observations while presenting their new belts, BUT, when it came to his son he tried real hard, started once or twice then finally blurting out "blue/black to red/white. I'm real proud of you son" then a quick bow and a moment of silence until he found his voice again. For me, that was more meaningful than any promotion I have gotten for myself.

SO the question would be: What advancement/promotion for someone else, stands out in your memory?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bydand said:
SO the question would be: What advancement/promotion for someone else, stands out in your memory?

I would have to say when my senior student attained her black belt - my first student to do so... made even more impressive because she totally lost her nerve during her first BB test and failed, but persevered, tested again, and passed, having started at the age of 12, and passing at the age of 17, just 2 weeks before her 18th birthday. I have never been more humbled, or more impressed, by a person's perserverance than when she tested, and passed, the second time - something that would be hard enough for an adult to do, but even harder, in my opinion, for a teen.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me, I'd have to say the BB test for my middle son Mark. He has mild CP and started in TKD at the age of 4 weighing about 22 lbs. with braces on. Six years later, he's doing the splits, endurance testing, braking and all the routines the other kids are doing. It was very emotional for many. Especially for the instructor and folks that were still there from the time he walked in the door.

Latest Discussions