Teaching!

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Last night my instructor had me take the beginners, and show them some moves of another form. It was a mixture of adults and little kids, and they are the worst because their attention span is not that great! I guess I was too nice to make them do press ups for misbehaving, but my instructor made them do it anyway. I didn't particularly enjoy it! But as I am at a senior level I will be expected to help my instructor on a regular basis. But this is something I don't feel confident doing. One of my fears was that if I was too strict on the kids, and gave them pressups to do they might start crying and my instructor would get into trouble with their parents.
I don't mind showing one or 2 people techniques because thats alot easier to a larger group and I can watch them closely. I don't mind sometimes doing the class warmups because my instructor will be there watching. I guess this is something I will have to get use to, but I would rather remain a student.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony said:
Last night my instructor had me take the beginners, and show them some moves of another form. It was a mixture of adults and little kids, and they are the worst because their attention span is not that great! I guess I was too nice to make them do press ups for misbehaving, but my instructor made them do it anyway. I didn't particularly enjoy it! But as I am at a senior level I will be expected to help my instructor on a regular basis. But this is something I don't feel confident doing. One of my fears was that if I was too strict on the kids, and gave them pressups to do they might start crying and my instructor would get into trouble with their parents.
I don't mind showing one or 2 people techniques because thats alot easier to a larger group and I can watch them closely. I don't mind sometimes doing the class warmups because my instructor will be there watching. I guess this is something I will have to get use to, but I would rather remain a student.

You're not alone here. I've been down that road many times myself. How old are the kids that are mixed in with the adults? Usually the kids and adults are separate classes. As for the kids not listening. Don't be afraid to discipline them. Of course, make sure that you are consistant with it, but dont be overly harsh. Remember, they are not your kids, but that many be one reason why the parents bring them to karate..to develop that self control. As for teaching. Usually its part of being an instructor. One problem that I started to have, was that I was doing more teaching, and less of my own learning. Make sure that you're getting your classes also.

Good luck!

Mike

W

wadowoman

Hi tony :)

Nobody feels confident when they first start helping the instructor in this way. Trust his judgement and the faith he obviously has in you.

As well as being a great honour and a chance for you to put something back into the dojo you will benefit too because when you have to break down a technique, stance or a kata to explain it to beginners, it forces you to think about it yourself more.

Don't worry that your teaching style (ie whether you are strict enough or not) is not the same as your instructor. Be guided by him and listen to his advice but don't try to BE him. You will develop your own approach as you gain confidence and experience.

Most importantly, enjoy it along with the rest of your training. good luck
Sharon

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes.........and continue to be firm with those kids- not overly harsh as someone else said, but stick to making them pay attention and behave. I made the mistake at one dojo of teaching the kids class and being too nice and from that point on, they walked all over me- which was no fun!! Let them know your rules/boundaries from the start.

:asian: :karate:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Code:
Yes.........and continue to be firm with those kids- not overly harsh as someone else said, but stick to making them pay attention and behave. I made the mistake at one dojo of teaching the kids class and being too nice and from that point on, they walked all over me- which was no fun!! Let them know your rules/boundaries from the start.

Been there, done that, lost complet control of a class one night by being to easy. It took a few days of class afterwards to get them all to figure out that there where limits to what was permissable and what was not. Yes, some parents where angry the night it happened and some where angry when I set my foot down and made the kids act like adults and respectible students. In the end the behavior was corrected and class went much smother, with everyone learning.

C

c2kenpo

Man sounds like horror stories out there...about the kids..they do everything I ask them to!!!!...
Well almost...only took 3 years to find some tricks that work. Teaching classes separately is much easier because you don't have the feeling that the adults feel you are being silly with them.

But yes when your instructors ask you to help teach it is a wonderfull honor and priveledge to have. Do yes make sure you are getting your classes many of us here have fallen into the teach teach teach, where did my class go hole.

As far as confidence it comes with time and repetition. Ask your instructor if there is a certian lesson plan that you should go over before the class so you can formulate what and how it should be taught make sure you do this with your senior instructors.

Regarding the class, some tips that I use with combo classes (adult and children together).
Have everyone do kicking drills, or punching drill in lines on bags. Make it a race so to speak but give the adults a bigger challenge, the kids like that.
Then work on something that just about everyone should know, and if 1-2 don't don't worry they will by the time you get done. Pick one technique and everyone learns it. KISS tho Keep it solid and simple. Then you can break the adults of to work on forms for a bit while you work with the kids. Then to close out the class teach the kids how to deal with a bigger opponent KISS again how to get away or kick to the knee /groin , getting away from a wrist grab your adult students get to learn the value of being a good body and the kids get to have some fun.

Goold luck and congratulations on another step of your Journey.

Dave Gunzburg

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Code:

Been there, done that, lost complet control of a class one night by being to easy. It took a few days of class afterwards to get them all to figure out that there where limits to what was permissable and what was not. Yes, some parents where angry the night it happened and some where angry when I set my foot down and made the kids act like adults and respectible students. In the end the behavior was corrected and class went much smother, with everyone learning.
Seperating unruly individuals from the group activities is another option that seems to work. Now for my real reason for posting... What the heck is this new quote thing that you have on your post? I've never seen it before. How do you do it?
Sean

G

Grasshoppah

Tony
Is this not a way of your instructor testing you. Sometimes you have to expect the unexpected. This is why martial arts should be taken more serious.
The first thing you learn is how to listen. When your instructing class they should be listening to you if they are not, they are learning nothing and that's when someone gets hurt. Remeber "To Teach is to learn and To Learn is to Teach"

G

Gary Crawford

Tony! Man that's a difficult dilema there.Teaching a mixed class can be difficult.Just depends on how unrully your students are.I bet they are worse with you than with your instructor.Substitute teacher syndrome.This can be a very touchy thing.You are doing a tough "balancing act".Balancing controling your class and not loosing students for your instructor.This is what you NEED to have a very frank discussion with your instructor on.You need to know what he thinks is the right way to handle them.One peice of advice on teaching kids-keep them busy.I know that's not easy since you have to work with the adults also.There is one way out of disciplining the kids,get the parents involved in disciplining them.If they are too distracting,make them sit down with their parents and explain to the parents what they are doing and they cannot re-join the class until they decide to cooperate.Again,you need your instructors input before you do this.I hope this helps.

E

elcajon555

I have been helping teach since november of 1999 and it took alot of classes and lessens to be able to teach. I have taught many kids and many adults kids as young as 3 and a half. It is hard to find the balance between too much and too little displince. And I feel that to teach is to learn twice and it has helped me alot in what I have been learning and it becomes fun and rewarding. One thing we do in my school is when a child gets to a certain level and they want to test for either black or degrees they are assigned an adult mentor to help through the test. I have gotten one student to their black belt, unfortunetly they quit, I have also gotten a student to their first degree black belt and both have been very rewarding, working with a child and having them have success. And it also creates bonds between people. The one thing I tend to do is teach more then learn which at times is annoying because I still pay full tuition and I am teaching all the time. I mean it feels like when I get attention and are being taught it is almost like a priviledge and the head instructor is taking special time to help me, but I should get that attention anyway because I am still a student and not just an instructor. I would say teaching does help as long as it doesn;t get in the way of your learning and trainging.

Latest Discussions