Free Standing Heavy Bag

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am in the market for a free standing heavy bag.

I have never had one so I know nothing about them. I have always used a hanging heavy bag but my wife is complaining that I am going to "Break the House" her words not mine, The thing is hooked to an I-Beam so I doubt that will happen but it is apparently mighty noisy upstairs and kids are trying to sleep so...

I have looked around a bit and all I really know is I want one that can take a good kick and that is fairly tall

So far Everlast has one that is about 76 inches tall that goes for about $350 but like I said I know little about these things.

Anyone have experience with these things?

Any suggestions?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer my BOB. He's a little firmer than most standing bags, but I consider that a good thing. He's adjustable, so he can be short enough for a kid, or tall enough to look down on me (I'm 6'1"). And I really really like having anatomical targets to aim at.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have never had one so I know nothing about them. I have always used a hanging heavy bag but my wife is complaining that I am going to "Break the House" her words not mine, The thing is hooked to an I-Beam so I doubt that will happen but it is apparently mighty noisy upstairs and kids are trying to sleep so...

I don't know if you have a spring attached to the hook to the i beam, but try that, it cuts down on the wear and tear on the house. Not much into hanging bags anymore for some reason, but I prefer the 45 pound everlast if you are looking in that direction. Either that or a muay thai bag that is long, where the bottom can touch the ground. Or a bob.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I totally agree with Puunui with the spring for the hanging bag. We have used bobs, and wavemasters (both produced by century), if you are working on "light" contact, standing bags work great. However, if you are hitting it hard, the seems wear out fairly quickly on the stands, so I recommend filling the standing bags with sand rather than water, so you don't end up with a puddle around the bag. I really like the Bobs, and many of the wavemasters are also adjustable in height, as Dirty Dog had mentioned about the Bobs.

I have debated on investing in one of the Wavemaster XXL's, but I haven't used one before. I don't know if all standing bags have similar seem leakage problems, but it is one of the drawbacks of the standing bags IMO.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't like the free-standing bags at all. They are just not the same as a hanging bag. I actually feel like I get little or nothing from them.

Tell you wife to get over it. -ducks for cover-

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if you have a spring attached to the hook to the i beam, but try that, it cuts down on the wear and tear on the house. Not much into hanging bags anymore for some reason, but I prefer the 45 pound everlast if you are looking in that direction. Either that or a muay thai bag that is long, where the bottom can touch the ground. Or a bob.

You should be warned about the chain-wear on the beam: in one to two months the chain really begins to eat into the wood. You need to wrap a thick towel around the bean and secure it with duc tape. Also, if the beam is meatal this will reduce the terrible grating ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ noise that the chain makes.

To tell you the truth, BOB might be better.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You should be warned about the chain-wear on the beam: in one to two months the chain really begins to eat into the wood. You need to wrap a thick towel around the bean and secure it with duc tape. Also, if the beam is meatal this will reduce the terrible grating ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ noise that the chain makes.

I do not think it will eat into the beam. It is a steel I beam and the chain for the bag is connected to that beam with a steel I-beam bracket hanger from everlast.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I totally agree with Puunui with the spring for the hanging bag. We have used bobs, and wavemasters (both produced by century), if you are working on "light" contact, standing bags work great. However, if you are hitting it hard, the seems wear out fairly quickly on the stands, so I recommend filling the standing bags with sand rather than water, so you don't end up with a puddle around the bag. I really like the Bobs, and many of the wavemasters are also adjustable in height, as Dirty Dog had mentioned about the Bobs.

I have debated on investing in one of the Wavemaster XXL's, but I haven't used one before. I don't know if all standing bags have similar seem leakage problems, but it is one of the drawbacks of the standing bags IMO.

We have a wavemaster at the school, and I have my BOB at home. Both are filled with water. I don't use him for light contact... he ends up prone on a regular basis. If I knock him down and the filler cap is on the bottom, I've noticed a small amount of leakage, but not much. The same is true of the wavemaster at the dojang. The wavemaster is too soft for my tastes, but that would also mean it's more forgiving when people are starting to condition.

I don't know how old the wavemaster is, but I've been abusing BOB for about 3 years so far, pretty much daily. He seems to enjoy it. :hammer:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't like the free-standing bags at all. They are just not the same as a hanging bag. I actually feel like I get little or nothing from them.

Tell you wife to get over it. -ducks for cover-

I don't like the free standing bags like the Wavemaster; I've just had lots of trouble with them moving around. The proper spring mounting for the hanging bag is definitely worth considering -- and probably safer than telling your wife to deal! ;)

Another thing to look at is a bag stand like THIS. There are several varieties... and you already have the bag to hang from it! You just need to weight them pretty well. Some even may let you bolt them to the floor...

Last edited:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have a wavemaster at the school, and I have my BOB at home. Both are filled with water. I don't use him for light contact... he ends up prone on a regular basis. If I knock him down and the filler cap is on the bottom, I've noticed a small amount of leakage, but not much. The same is true of the wavemaster at the dojang. The wavemaster is too soft for my tastes, but that would also mean it's more forgiving when people are starting to condition. I don't know how old the wavemaster is, but I've been abusing BOB for about 3 years so far, pretty much daily. He seems to enjoy it. :hammer:

I prefer bob over the wavemaster, at least the standard one, because the wavemaster padding gets thin pretty quickly with regular use. I prefer bob for certain types of drills. I have one at the house and put a hogu (chest protector) on it and it works great. Had it for years and still looks new, although I did have to change the base once from water leakage. The hogu do wear out though, and that has to be replaced. It's good when you don't have a partner, to work angles, especially to the head.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't like the free standing bags like the Wavemaster; I've just had lots of trouble with them moving around. The proper spring mounting for the hanging bag is definitely worth considering -- and probably safer than telling your wife to deal! ;)

Another thing to look at is a bag stand like THIS. There are several varieties... and you already have the bag to hang from it! You just need to weight them pretty well. Some even may let you bolt them to the floor...

I’m not to thrilled at a floor bag either but I am much less thrilled at telling my wife to deal… she is to well trained in Tuina :D

I have thought about a spring but that would lower the bag and it is already to low IMO that is unless I shorten the already shortened chain a few more inches

And the link you provided took me to the “Should getting a Black Belt be this stressful” Thread, is that where it was supposed to take me?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The wavemasters and BOBs do tend to move around some. I guess that never bothered me, because people tend to move even more. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not to thrilled at a floor bag either but I am much less thrilled at telling my wife to deal… she is to well trained in Tuina
biggrin.gif

I have thought about a spring but that would lower the bag and it is already to low IMO that is unless I shorten the already shortened chain a few more inches

And the link you provided took me to the “Should getting a Black Belt be this stressful” Thread, is that where it was supposed to take me?

H'mm... No. It should have been to a Ringside product. Let me try again...http://www.ringside.com/ringside/everlast-heavy-bag-boxing-stand.html

Or -- looks like this one includes a pull up station.

And I fixed my original post...

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
H'mm... No. It should have been to a Ringside product. Let me try again...http://www.ringside.com/ringside/everlast-heavy-bag-boxing-stand.html

Or -- looks like this one includes a pull up station.

And I fixed my original post...

That actually might be the better way to go; it is certainly the cheaper way to go.

But I was thinking last night (as I was breaking the house :D) about what Jason Striker II posted and although it is not on a wooden beam (it’s on an I-Beam) and although the chain is not wrapped around the bean (it is on an I-beam hanger from Everlast) I began think about the towel and duct tape bits of his post and I then began to wonder if it would make any difference if I but an old inner tube over the clamp and then clamped it to the I-Beam... now all I have to do is find an old inner tube.

Latest Discussions