Free standing heavy bag question

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I didn’t fit it, it is part of the construction of the house, in the foundation, as are 2 others
WOW, you mean your I-Beam is already down to the foundation, not bolted on the ceiling. And it still vibrate? That's the end of the road.

I have seen houses with I-beam bolted only on the ceiling, that won't help.

It is hard, I gave this a lot of thoughts already throughout the years. Don't worry about the vibration if your big boss can put up with it. My way was just practice at specific time, let her know it's going to be that time and how long, she might let you do it and put up with the vibration.

I remember those days I always did it around 4pm, big boss usually did her high impact aerobics at that time, so she never even pay attention as she had her share of creating vibration jumping upstairs!!!

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
WOW, you mean your I-Beam is already down to the foundation, not bolted on the ceiling. And it still vibrate? That's the end of the road.

I have seen houses with I-beam bolted only on the ceiling, that won't help.

It is hard, I gave this a lot of thoughts already throughout the years. Don't worry about the vibration if your big boss can put up with it. My way was just practice at specific time, let her know it's going to be that time and how long, she might let you do it and put up with the vibration.

I remember those days I always did it around 4pm, big boss usually did her high impact aerobics at that time, so she never even pay attention as she had her share of creating vibration jumping upstairs!!!

There are 3 of them 2 the width of the house and one the length of the house between the 2 going the width

I will just train when she is not home

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are 3 of them 2 the width of the house and one the length of the house between the 2 going the width

I will just train when she is not home
I am just talking out loud. The width and the length of the house must be very long. Even the I-beam can start to flex. What if you put vertical beam(wood is fine) to support the I-beam close to the heavy bag, that should prevent the I-beam from flexing. I-beam is metal, think of it like a guitar string, if it is long enough, you hit it, it will vibrate like a guitar string!!!

If that is the case, a vertical supporting beam close to the bag might do the trick. You might need one on each side. It should be easy because unlike usual support vertical beam, you need to worry about moving sideway. You don't have to as it's is sturdy by itself, you only need a vertical beam from floor to the I-beam to push it up a little.

Some picture might help if you want to talk more, I am blind guessing at this point. With the picture, we might be able to pinpoint what to do.

Last edited:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am just talking out loud. The width and the length of the house must be very long. Even the I-beam can start to flex. What if you put vertical beam(wood is fine) to support the I-beam close to the heavy bag, that should prevent the I-beam from flexing. I-beam is metal, think of it like a guitar string, if it is long enough, you hit it, it will vibrate like a guitar string!!!

If that is the case, a vertical supporting beam close to the bag might do the trick. You might need one on each side. It should be easy because unlike usual support vertical beam, you need to worry about moving sideway. You don't have to as it's is sturdy by itself, you only need a vertical beam from floor to the I-beam to push it up a little.

Some picture might help if you want to talk more, I am blind guessing at this point. With the picture, we might be able to pinpoint what to do.
Actually, there are support beams on either side. The mount is solid. It is the sound it apparently makes on the first floor when I hit it

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually, there are support beams on either side. The mount is solid. It is the sound it apparently makes on the first floor when I hit it
If you have support on both sides, there should be no vibration. I-beam is strong. Is the sound metallic? If so, it's rattle. I was looking at the picture of your bracket, could it be the bracket rattling that make the sound? If you want to solve the problem, show some pictures.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If you have support on both sides, there should be no vibration. I-beam is strong. Is the sound metallic? If so, it's rattle. I was looking at the picture of your bracket, could it be the bracket rattling that make the sound? If you want to solve the problem, show some pictures.

I have no idea what sound she is hearing, I'm downstairs at the time. I hit the bag, she yells downstairs "You're going to break the house"

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what sound she is hearing, I'm downstairs at the time. I hit the bag, she yells downstairs "You're going to break the house"
I demand that you post pictures when you break the house. Or better yet, a video with Mrs Xue saying "I told you so!"

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, while know one was home, I went to the basement and tried to break the house. After punching the bag for only about 10 minutes, I checked the house...nothing broken, house still solidly on its foundation

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, while know one was home, I went to the basement and tried to break the house. After punching the bag for only about 10 minutes, I checked the house...nothing broken, house still solidly on its foundation
It’s gonna take more than ten minutes. Keep at it. You’ll get there.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nothing can avoid sound, as long as the vibration doesn't not shake stuffs down upstairs, that's all you can do. The better your punching skill, the louder the popping sound from the bag and the less the bag moving backward from the punch. Ideally, the bag should just make a loud pop, you see the penetration into the bag but the bag doesn't swing backward. We actually judge how good the punch by listening to the sound and how much the bag moves. A good punch gives an echoie sound and it's a loud pop. So as long as you are good in punching, it's going to be loud. Same as kicks. Round house kick is the loudest.

If it is not loud, then you should start to worry and start to look inwards!!!

Even if one got it good, still cannot take for granted that one always has it. You can lose it. I did. For the longest time, I treat bag work as aerobics, really don't pay attention. I totally lost it. It was until last year I said to myself why it sounded like that. I started from ground level, slowly coordinate the legs, hip, shoulder to throw the punch starting slow, punching light. It took me like 3 months and finally I got back the "Sound"!!! I had it for two years before, I totally lost it over time and had to start from scratch.

It's particular hard that I am 5'5" only. I have to punch high to get use to fight with a 6'5". It is SO SO SO much harder than punching at shoulder level to get the penetration and the sound. I am not willing to settle by saying I punch to the body of the tall guy, I am a head hunter!!!!

Last edited:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I’m looking for a small punching bag for my apartment. I need it not for me but for my son, and I think it’s easier to choose a free-standing bag for a kid because he’s not powerful to knock it over. I want to get him one so he can vent his energy on something and fight his friends less. It should also help him better focus and learn self-defense. I used a regular sack when I was a kid because I didn’t have the possibility to get a heavy bag for apartment. I’ve seen some good offers from Century. Hope they will not be too heavy for him.

Century and Everlast both have nice free standing bags for kids

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’m looking for a small punching bag for my apartment. I need it not for me but for my son, and I think it’s easier to choose a free-standing bag for a kid because he’s not powerful to knock it over. I want to get him one so he can vent his energy on something and fight his friends less. It should also help him better focus and learn self-defense. I used a regular sack when I was a kid because I didn’t have the possibility to get a heavy bag for apartment. I’ve seen some good offers from Century. Hope they will not be too heavy for him.
The only concern is you have to fill water into the base. When you kick it, some water can still come out. It may be OK if you put it in your garage. If you put on carpet or wooden floor, the water may damage your floor.

I have broken 2 of these. The 1st one was broken on the neck. The 2nd one was broken on the base where the metal screws that connect the top and the base. It's time for me to get my 3rd one.

wavemaster.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Discussions