Free standing heavy bag question

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have a hanging heavy bag that is connected to a steel I-beam with a clamp made for just that usage. But even though I insulate the metal clamp, from the steel I-beam with a rubber inner tube, Mrs Xue still yells at me telling me to stop...because I'm going to break the house. Being all powerful and as ego boosting as that sounds, it is highly unlikely I will be breaking the house any time soon. But I am tired of this interaction and I am looking for a good free standing bag. I looked at wave master, but really do not want to get into having to fill the base up with water or sand since it will be in my basement and there is no way to connect a hose to fill it up and I do not feel like carrying multiple bags of sand to my basement.

I came across this from Century and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of bag, and what they thought of it

10186k_1.jpg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're good bags, but you will be knocking them over. If that's ok, then you will probably be happy with it.
I believe there is a version of this that has tabs where the legs meet the floor, which allows you to put weights on them. You can probably get a bunch of free weights from a thrift store and stack them on the tabs. That'll stop it from falling over.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
They're good bags, but you will be knocking them over. If that's ok, then you will probably be happy with it.
I believe there is a version of this that has tabs where the legs meet the floor, which allows you to put weights on them. You can probably get a bunch of free weights from a thrift store and stack them on the tabs. That'll stop it from falling over.

Thanks, knocking it over is no big deal, but I will look for the version with tabs if I can find it

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, knocking it over is no big deal, but I will look for the version with tabs if I can find it
I took a very brief look and don't see that one available right now. But I did find THIS. You can put sand bags on the horizontal bars.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm personally not a big fan of the Century Versys line of bags as a replacement for standard heavybag work. For me they just aren't very stable for bag drills and constantly need to be stood back up and are way too easy to knock over. Just my personal opinion. Maybe you could find a school in your area that have a few and see if they will let you take an "intro class" just to try to use the bag?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I honestly haven't found a heavy bag that doesn't fall over. The bases are just not wide enough. If you can put enough weight on them, I've seen the ones that are kind of like a motor lift do better... but the weights are limits on your stepping.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I had Slam Man, Century water/sand base. Water is way too light, easily knock them over. Has to be sand. I got rid of both. When come to heavy duty using, hanging heavy bag is the ONLY way to go. I reinforced the garage ( actually put vertical and horizontal beam) to hang two bags, one 70lbs and one 100lbs.

Invest the time to hang the bag, it's the only way to go. I even have the wall mount bracket, it's NOT sturdy enough. You want really work out, find a way to hang the heavy bag. Don't waste your time. I tried them all.

Even those hanging heavy bags, get ONLY the canvas or leather ones, don't get the vinyl cover ones, they don't last if you really hit the bag. Leather last the longest.

Last edited:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I had Slam Man, Century water/sand base. Water is way too light, easily knock them over. Has to be sand. I got rid of both. When come to heavy duty using, hanging heavy bag is the ONLY way to go. I reinforced the garage ( actually put vertical and horizontal beam) to hang two bags, one 70lbs and one 100lbs.

Invest the time to hang the bag, it's the only way to go. I even have the wall mount bracket, it's NOT sturdy enough. You want really work out, find a way to hang the heavy bag. Don't waste your time. I tried them all.

Even those hanging heavy bags, get ONLY the canvas or leather ones, don't get the vinyl cover ones, they don't last if you really hit the bag. Leather last the longest.

Thank you, but I have a hanging bag, 3 of them actually (medium, heavy and uppercut), read post 1 it explains why I am looking at a free standing bag

Note the medium is a very old friend, had it for probably 45 years, the cover is coming off, it is ripped and I have had to bend the rings back in shape several tines....just can't bring myself to get rid of it....

Last edited:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK, heres the deal, I am not going to get the free standing bag, mostly because I missed the sale. It was marked down to 40% off, but now it is back up to it $500 price and I am not going to pay that.

I am am going to refill one of my heavy bags that these days feels like it is filled with concrete.... and then listen to Mrs Xue's continual yelling that I am going to break the house

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OK, heres the deal, I am not going to get the free standing bag, mostly because I missed the sale. It was marked down to 40% off, but now it is back up to it $500 price and I am not going to pay that.

I am am going to refill one of my heavy bags that these days feels like it is filled with concrete.... and then listen to Mrs Xue's continual yelling that I am going to break the house
those free standing ones just don't feel right. Yes, I got those on sale also, what a waste of money. Also, those with funny shape like slam man with nose, eyes etc don't last. You punch it, it will crack. I cracked mine on the nose just using it a few times. Not even hitting hard. Stay with the normal or the upper cut bags. The one you show in the picture, I beg the parts will start coming apart very fast if you really go at it.

BTW, duck tape works magic. I kept changing bags before, like 10 of them, now, I duck tape the cracks and holes, so far they hold up for a year.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
those free standing ones just don't feel right. Yes, I got those on sale also, what a waste of money. Also, those with funny shape like slam man with nose, eyes etc don't last. You punch it, it will crack. I cracked mine on the nose just using it a few times. Not even hitting hard. Stay with the normal or the upper cut bags. The one you show in the picture, I beg the parts will start coming apart very fast if you really go at it.

BTW, duck tape works magic. I kept changing bags before, like 10 of them, now, I duck tape the cracks and holes, so far they hold up for a year.

Thanks, I have been considering duct tape

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Honestly, I think you would be disappointed if you got a free-standing bag. I haven’t used them much, but they don’t feel good to me, it’s just kinda weird, for lack of a more precise term.

Sounds like your hanging bags are in the basement? When I was a teenager my heavy bag was in the basement and it was problematic. My mother teaches violin directly above the bag mounting and her music stand would shake and wobble with every strike to the bag. I had to simply not use it when she was practicing or teaching.

Is there a way to mount them in the garage instead? The house won’t be affected by the shaking although it will become a seasonal tool as it would be too cold for part of the year. But it might be a reasonable compromise.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Honestly, I think you would be disappointed if you got a free-standing bag. I haven’t used them much, but they don’t feel good to me, it’s just kinda weird, for lack of a more precise term.

Sounds like your hanging bags are in the basement? When I was a teenager my heavy bag was in the basement and it was problematic. My mother teaches violin directly above the bag mounting and her music stand would shake and wobble with every strike to the bag. I had to simply not use it when she was practicing or teaching.

Is there a way to mount them in the garage instead? The house won’t be affected by the shaking although it will become a seasonal tool as it would be too cold for part of the year. But it might be a reasonable compromise.

No way of mounting in the garage. And it does not shake the house, it is just the noise vibrating through the steel I-Beam it is mounted on. I admit, because of Xuefu, I am mighty, but not even I, with my extreme Xuefu power, could break that I-beam :D

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Ha ha, I had one place the garage where I hung the bag was directly under the dinning room where I had crystal display cabinet, things fell off!!! It was a mess!!!

It is NOT easy to hang a heavy bag.

I am thinking about put in a 3rd car garage( we only have two cars) just for hanging bags and weight equipment. I want a workout room with air conditioning and carpet. If you have a car, no matter how big the garage, you won't have enough room to move around.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ha ha, I had one place the garage where I hung the bag was directly under the dinning room where I had crystal display cabinet, things fell off!!! It was a mess!!!

It is NOT easy to hang a heavy bag.

I am thinking about put in a 3rd car garage( we only have two cars) just for hanging bags and weight equipment. I want a workout room with air conditioning and carpet. If you have a car, no matter how big the garage, you won't have enough room to move around.

Yeah but in my neck of the woods, it can get to -20F in the winter ;)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No way of mounting in the garage. And it does not shake the house, it is just the noise vibrating through the steel I-Beam it is mounted on. I admit, because of Xuefu, I am mighty, but not even I, with my extreme Xuefu power, could break that I-beam :D
Rubber isolater, like in the suspension of your car?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Already did that with an old innertube
Maybe multiple layers?
Or you might consider something like THIS. Maybe get some of THIS as well. Cut it up to match the base on the hanger, add multiple layers, and use longer mounting bolts.

Latest Discussions