Stand for a Heavy Bag?

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Now that I am back to training and sparring, I would like to do sessions on the heavy bag. Currently, my heavy bag is attached to a 2x8 that spans four of the joists in my basement. Even doing so to spread the load, when I workout on the bag, it can make things a little loud upstairs, and according to my wife, I've rattled dishes in the dining area and kitchen above.

In looking at stands, most of them appear to be designed so that the supports on the floor are relatively close to the bag itself, and at an acute enough of an angle to be in the way for some techniques. Essentially, they appear to be designed with boxers in mind.

So, is anyone aware of a reasonably sturdy frame for sale that is better suited to kicks and movement? I've looked, but I haven't seen any. I won't call myself particularly handy with woodworking, but has anyone seen a design for one that could be built?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now that I am back to training and sparring, I would like to do sessions on the heavy bag. Currently, my heavy bag is attached to a 2x8 that spans four of the joists in my basement. Even doing so to spread the load, when I workout on the bag, it can make things a little loud upstairs, and according to my wife, I've rattled dishes in the dining area and kitchen above.

In looking at stands, most of them appear to be designed so that the supports on the floor are relatively close to the bag itself, and at an acute enough of an angle to be in the way for some techniques. Essentially, they appear to be designed with boxers in mind.

So, is anyone aware of a reasonably sturdy frame for sale that is better suited to kicks and movement? I've looked, but I haven't seen any. I won't call myself particularly handy with woodworking, but has anyone seen a design for one that could be built?
Have you worked out on a BOB? They are free standing and you use a liquid or sand for ballast. I find them great for kicking and most hand work but the base can get in the way on some drills as it is about twice the diameter of the bag.
Are your floor joists exposed? There are some very good sound deadening materials available. I wonder if you box in and cover a sizable portion of the floor around the bag mount (8'x8'?) in a bracing fashion would that reduce the noise and bounce? I am picturing a box type truss maybe 12" tall.

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Have you worked out on a BOB? They are free standing and you use a liquid or sand for ballast. I find them great for kicking and most hand work but the base can get in the way on some drills as it is about twice the diameter of the bag.
Are your floor joists exposed? There are some very good sound deadening materials available. I wonder if you box in and cover a sizable portion of the floor around the bag mount (8'x8'?) in a bracing fashion would that reduce the noise and bounce? I am picturing a box type truss maybe 12" tall.

I've never worked out on one, but given the price of them, I think I could buy or build a stand for my hanging bag for much less, since I already have the bag.

The joists are exposed, and we have an extra course of block in our basement so there is plenty of headroom. The problem with boxing it in, if I am picturing what you are describing, is that we have plenty of pipes, wires and vents that run through the area. I don't know if it would deaden things enough or not, but it seems it would be cheaper and easier to do a stand, and wouldn't have the potential for needing to need to be ripped out if there were a problem.

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything because I'm dealing with the possibility that my new place wont have an option to hang a bag at all. May just have to make do I guess. Modify training a little. Guess some training in the meantime is better than none lol.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never worked out on one, but given the price of them, I think I could buy or build a stand for my hanging bag for much less, since I already have the bag.

The joists are exposed, and we have an extra course of block in our basement so there is plenty of headroom. The problem with boxing it in, if I am picturing what you are describing, is that we have plenty of pipes, wires and vents that run through the area. I don't know if it would deaden things enough or not, but it seems it would be cheaper and easier to do a stand, and wouldn't have the potential for needing to need to be ripped out if there were a problem.
Understood. A google search revealed several metal standing frames. They are tripod in nature so not sure if the "feet" would be in your way. I did see a wall mount that may work for you. I just searched for "punching bag stand".

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Understood. A google search revealed several metal standing frames. They are tripod in nature so not sure if the "feet" would be in your way. I did see a wall mount that may work for you. I just searched for "punching bag stand".

Yes, that's what I did as well, and the feet of the ones I have seen all seem to curve too close to the bag for comfort. I don't know about a wall mount. It would mean drilling into the cinder block of the basement, or building something to create a wall structure. It is a possibility though.

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Doing some more searching, and found the Century Cornerman. It looks about ideal, however, at $459 it is well outside the price range I was hoping for. I might need to see if I can design something out of wood.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
get some angle iron, cut it on one face, bend the remaining face through 90' then bolt the two cut faces together and then screw it to the wall, with Hilti ffixing and hang your bag off it

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
get some angle iron, cut it on one face, bend the remaining face through 90' then bolt the two cut faces together and then screw it to the wall, with Hilti ffixing and hang your bag off it

I'm trying to avoid drilling holes in the concrete blocks of my basement wall, and I have no idea how to go about bending angle iron without specialized tools. I'm beginning to formulate a design for a stand in my head. If I actually proceed with it, I'll let everyone know.

D

Deleted member 39746

If you find anything tag me in it, i need a stand as well.

But i have settled on getting a freestanding bag. Since i needed to replace a bag.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid drilling holes in the concrete blocks of my basement wall, and I have no idea how to go about bending angle iron without specialized tools. I'm beginning to formulate a design for a stand in my head. If I actually proceed with it, I'll let everyone know.
you put it against something with a 90 angle, like a wall and then hit it with a hammer. or considering your great strength just bend it by hand

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I did as well, and the feet of the ones I have seen all seem to curve too close to the bag for comfort. I don't know about a wall mount. It would mean drilling into the cinder block of the basement, or building something to create a wall structure. It is a possibility though.
If the drilling is not an issue for you I have had success using 1/2" bolts and toggle nuts through the block. Very solid.
Spring toggle wings, Zinc plated steel, 1/2"-13 - Bolt Depot

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 40306

0e704e42309b42ed8a90a39bad4a8c30.jpg

D

Deleted member 40306

This heavy bag looks like for Thor Hammer Throws