Hang a heavy bag

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The bag should be a few inches higher than you are tall.
To go along with this...

It should be at a height where you’re not punching the top of the bag at eye level. I’d say the top of the bag should be at least a foot/30 cm above eye level. Within reason, too high is better than too low.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This rope that you are talking about correct?
Nylon Rope - Strength
I would not use nylon rope. Nylon rope can and will stretch. If you are going to use rope, use a braided polypropylene rope. Polypropene is much more inelastic compared to nylon. The problem with rope is it is subject to abrasion so you will need to inspect it regularly. Chain does not have this issue.

You may also want to leave out the spring. You do not want to put anything in the assembly that will cause the load to bounce or stretch or this will cause additional stresses on your anchor point. If you are going to hang it from the ceiling, the best way to do it is by using an anchor plate that is tied into at least 2 joists. It will spread the strain of the bag when it is being hit and moving around and will allow you to use reasonable sized lag screws to mount the plate to the ceiling.

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
That heavy of a bag....I don’t think spin will be an issue.

The most important thing is your ceiling mount....remember not only does it have to support the weight of the bag, but also the force of your kicks and punches added to the weight of the bag.

If you can afford it it would be worth getting a professional to mount.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That heavy of a bag....I don’t think spin will be an issue.

The most important thing is your ceiling mount....remember not only does it have to support the weight of the bag, but also the force of your kicks and punches added to the weight of the bag.

If you can afford it it would be worth getting a professional to mount.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Lack of spin is a long term issue that can cause deformation of metal components or increased wear. Both issues will cause the integrity of the assembly to be compromised so swivels are generally a good idea on these kinds of assemblies, all things created equally.

You are 100% correct about more attention being put to the ceiling mount. The mount you use is very much like a lever point so the smaller the connection point the more lateral forces will cause strain on the mounting screws which will eventually fail. The bigger the mounting point (eg: using a mounting plate) the better the forces are spread out.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

Can you guys help me a bit to figure out what is the best way to hang my heavy bag?
I have a 70kg (bag<160lbs) 150cm-160cm twins heavy bag.

The room that I rent and want to put the bag has 3.22m height. I feel that the side walls not strong enough to hang this bag and if I hit/kick I scare will break out from the wall. It is brick walls.

The best would be the ceiling but it is too tall, I think even with the chain and with the swivel the bag is no more than 2m.

I'm not sure what is the optimal height between the bag and the floor (please help), but let' say have 70cm between the floor and the bag, (the chain + swivel)+bag=2m, so still around 50cm missing from the ceiling.

If I buy 50cm long chain with a ceiling mount it will be 80-90cm chain (included the bag chain and the hanging chain) which is hanging and I scare the bag will move a lot everywhere and it will not be comfortable because of the big moves.

What is your suggestion or ideas, how can I do it?
I don't want to have standing one because this room is used for another purpose too. Should be on the wall or on the ceiling but what is the best way to do?

Thank you in advance.

Judging from the picture, it is a wood framed room with sheetrock so you will have to distribute the weight. It will still be noisey and possibly bounce a little as the building moves. Yea, it really will. There is a real possibility of sheetrock damage from heavy use.

Where you want the bag, find an area in the ceiling that is free and clear of any wiring or pipes. Locate the ceiling joints and mark locations to mount two 2"x12"x36" boards that will span three joist. Cut three 36" boards as described. Center one board on top of the other two and fasten firmly. Drill a hole in the center and mount a 3/4" eye bolt firmly using a locking nut and washers. Locate where on the ceiling the locking nut will interfere with mounting the fixture to the ceiling and make a hole in the sheetrock. Mount the fixture using four (4) fixed pitched screws at each joint. Hang the bag at the desired height using the chain.
Or, just buy a free standing bag and set it on the floor.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So this is the plan:

this is on the ceiling:
1.jpg

This will be after this:
2.jpg

this will be the next:
3.jpg

And the last which connected to the boxing bag chain from spring:
4.jpg

Makes sense?
This setup the bag would be 90 cm from floor. I'm 175cm tall I think it can be acceptable.
The mounting plate doesn't make sense to me unless you already know there is something sturdy on the other side of the sheetrock to mount to. The rest looks good but what is the spring for?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The mounting plate doesn't make sense to me unless you already know there is something sturdy on the other side of the sheetrock to mount to. The rest looks good but what is the spring for?
Spring absorbs shock that occurs when punching and kicking the bag from being transmitted to the rafters.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve seen them used. As Danny T said, it absorbs some of the vibrations, keeping thereby keeping some of it from being transmitted to the support beams that are holding the bag.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Judging from the picture, it is a wood framed room with sheetrock so you will have to distribute the weight. It will still be noisey and possibly bounce a little as the building moves. Yea, it really will. There is a real possibility of sheetrock damage from heavy use.

Where you want the bag, find an area in the ceiling that is free and clear of any wiring or pipes. Locate the ceiling joints and mark locations to mount two 2"x12"x36" boards that will span three joist. Cut three 36" boards as described. Center one board on top of the other two and fasten firmly. Drill a hole in the center and mount a 3/4" eye bolt firmly using a locking nut and washers. Locate where on the ceiling the locking nut will interfere with mounting the fixture to the ceiling and make a hole in the sheetrock. Mount the fixture using four (4) fixed pitched screws at each joint. Hang the bag at the desired height using the chain.
??????????

fix the
mounting plate to the joists with two,, two inch 10 screws, a bit of quarter in ply as a spreader will remove any small chance of damaging the plaster

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would not use nylon rope. Nylon rope can and will stretch. If you are going to use rope, use a braided polypropylene rope. Polypropene is much more inelastic compared to nylon. The problem with rope is it is subject to abrasion so you will need to inspect it regularly. Chain does not have this issue.

You may also want to leave out the spring. You do not want to put anything in the assembly that will cause the load to bounce or stretch or this will cause additional stresses on your anchor point. If you are going to hang it from the ceiling, the best way to do it is by using an anchor plate that is tied into at least 2 joists. It will spread the strain of the bag when it is being hit and moving around and will allow you to use reasonable sized lag screws to mount the plate to the ceiling.
all rope stretches, particularly polypropylene climbing rope, just as chains will abraid and stretch,

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
??????????

fix the
mounting plate to the joists with two,, two inch 10 screws, a bit of quarter in ply as a spreader will remove any small chance of damaging the plaster
Been there, done that. Pulled the 4 screws out of the joist and made a mess. You need to distribute the force.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ringside, Everlast, and probably most other manufacturers sell heavy bag mounts. I would suggest using them rather than cobbling something together from the hardware store. If nothing else, you make it a one-stop shop...

After that, as others have said, you need to distribute the force and weight. A proper spring set up (like on some of the mounts...) will reduce the force teansmitted to tbe mount and ceiling structure.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Been there, done that. Pulled the 4 screws out of the joist and made a mess. You need to distribute the force.
that's because you used 4 small screws instead of two Big screws, if you install a screw properly, then you can hang several tones on it and it won't come out, just because you have dodgy diy skills doesn't mean that every one is as laxidasical

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
that's because you used 4 small screws instead of two Big screws, if you install a screw properly, then you can hang several tones on it and it won't come out, just because you have dodgy diy skills doesn't mean that every one is as laxidasical
Another pearl of wisdom.

OP
B

Badb0y

White Belt
Reaction score

Thos room we made it for a pole dance, hammock room but I also want to use as a training room for myself so because the room not too big, the standing solution can’t work. Thank you your detailed idea :)

OP
B

Badb0y

White Belt
Reaction score
This is a hammock mount point, this room is used for pole dance and hammock, and I don’t want to make more hole on the ceiling so I’d prefer to use this

71ec03d573.jpg.500x500.jpg

So nobody really suggest the swivel to use before the spring? Better to use just the carabiner and don’t let it spin?
Fbt has a stand fir heavy bag and between the mount and the bag chain they use that.

This one in their shop:
D17-DECC3-CFA2-4067-AA00-87709-E50-AA34.jpg

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a hammock mount point, this room is used for pole dance and hammock, and I don’t want to make more hole on the ceiling so I’d prefer to use

So nobody really suggest the swivel to use before the spring? Better to use just the carabiner and don’t let it spin?
Fbt has a stand fir heavy bag and between the mount and the bag chain they use that.

This one in their shop:
D17-DECC3-CFA2-4067-AA00-87709-E50-AA34.jpg

Four WEDGE anchors are shown in the first photos. They are used for concrete applications so the thickness of the substrate is very important. For example, a 3/8" wedge anchor requires a minimum embedded depth of 1-1/2" to create the minimum holding value. For an installation allowing the minimum embedded depth for a 3/8" anchor, the hole in the substrate would have to be at least 2". Again these are for installations on CONCRETE surfaces only. They cannot be used in brick, block, or mortar joints, or wood. Wedge anchors are designed for STATIC loads only. Wedge anchors should NOT be used where the load will be exposed to vibrations or shock loads.
The gist is the plate shown is very good. If you are mounting to a wood frame the anchors cannot be used. That is where my explanation of creating a wooden plate that distributes the load is critical. To use the metal plate shown, you would through bolt it to the wooden frame. By spanning three joist and using 2x12 framing material (pine board), and #12 or #10 screws, you would have 12 anchor points. Do NOT use only two anchor points as @jobo suggested. IF there is some kind of existing framework in the room ceiling to through bolt the plate shown that would work even better.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thos room we made it for a pole dance, hammock room but I also want to use as a training room for myself so because the room not too big, the standing solution can’t work. Thank you your detailed idea :)
KEEP IT AS A POLE DANCE ROOM!!!

Don’t be stupid. Do you realize the things most of us here would give up to have a pole dance room in our home?

:) :) :)

Latest Discussions