Free Standing Heavy Bag

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see how you'd damage anything with a setup like that. My guess is it's just the noise and nothing more. Shorten the chain, muffle it with fabric and/or an inner tube (you mentioned 'an old inner tube' in one post... I use pieces of inner tubes to make "rubber bands" for SCUBA gear, but I just buy them new at WallyWorld and chop them up) and you ought to be good to go. If that doesn't work, you might consider earplugs or sedation for the people upstairs...

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
H'mm... No. It should have been to a Ringside product. Let me try again...http://www.ringside.com/ringside/everlast-heavy-bag-boxing-stand.html

I have a similar one from Century. It also slides around. I spent more on 25 pound plates to try to hold it still, than I did on the bag and the stand. You also are really limited in how you can come at it, because the legs of the stand virtually wrap the bag. If I were buying again, I'd go with a freestanding one, compared to this kind of setup.

just to clear up what I currently have that is breaking the house

This Heavy bag and this is how it is connected to the I-Beam. The only difference is my heavy bag is black

I'd have to say that this setup looks ideal, if a bit noisy. You may be on to something with using inner tubes to wrap that bracket, and absorb some of the noise travelling into the I-beam.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'd have to say that this setup looks ideal,

I'd say the same thing but my wife does not agree, she thinks I'm breaking the house. So I wll have to find the ineer tubes and see if that helps if it does... i have one of these

3487172002p

hanging the same way right next to it so it will need sound proofing too :D

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I actually like the Bob over wave master.
I like that I can train target areas when I walk
Circle in bagua. However I can understand that
A more power generated concept you can get out
Of a wave master vs a Bob. I like heavy bags for power over
Free standing bags because the force and recoil.

But I have no idea why xue wants a free standing bag
They put trees in pots you know.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't see how you'd damage anything with a setup like that. My guess is it's just the noise and nothing more. Shorten the chain, muffle it with fabric and/or an inner tube (you mentioned 'an old inner tube' in one post... I use pieces of inner tubes to make "rubber bands" for SCUBA gear, but I just buy them new at WallyWorld and chop them up) and you ought to be good to go. If that doesn't work, you might consider earplugs or sedation for the people upstairs...

The structural concern is vibration and force transferred through the beam (or joist) to the rest of the building. Houses aren't necessarily designed for the sort of impact running into them that way. An engineer or architect can probable explain it better -- and it's not a guarantee of a problem.

And, of course, stuff falling over from the vibration being transferred to the floors, kind of like a big truck passing by...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say the same thing but my wife does not agree, she thinks I'm breaking the house.

Y'know, it might be worth it to talk to a structural engineer or maybe even just a general contractor about the potential damage. I can see the concerns -- but I don't know how real they are, if you know what I mean...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The structural concern is vibration and force transferred through the beam (or joist) to the rest of the building. Houses aren't necessarily designed for the sort of impact running into them that way. An engineer or architect can probable explain it better -- and it's not a guarantee of a problem.

And, of course, stuff falling over from the vibration being transferred to the floors, kind of like a big truck passing by...

Good point. As it happens, my stepson is graduating in May from CSU-Ft Collins with a degree in mechanical engineering. His senior project was designing a series of wind turbines to be mounted in the stacks of a WWII-era power plant. One requirement of the project was that the appearance of the building (considered a historic landmark by the local govt) not be changed. I'll ask him about this. He ought to be able to shed some light on it.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Y'know, it might be worth it to talk to a structural engineer or maybe even just a general contractor about the potential damage. I can see the concerns -- but I don't know how real they are, if you know what I mean...

It's hanging on one of these

STEEL_BEAM_JUNIOR_OMS.jpg

Which goes from one side of my house to the other and that is supported by 2 of these

421000.jpg

And it is all welded..... A structural Engineer would laugh at me :D

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That actually might be the better way to go; it is certainly the cheaper way to go.

But I was thinking last night (as I was breaking the house :D) about what Jason Striker II posted and although it is not on a wooden beam (it’s on an I-Beam) and although the chain is not wrapped around the bean (it is on an I-beam hanger from Everlast) I began think about the towel and duct tape bits of his post and I then began to wonder if it would make any difference if I but an old inner tube over the clamp and then clamped it to the I-Beam... now all I have to do is find an old inner tube.

A lot REALLY depends on the particular set up - so unless you get some pro dudes in there to work it up, you'll have to experiment ~ a pain, but there's no other way not "to break the house".

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd reccomend either a BOB xxl or Wavemaster xxl. If you're going to have it indoors, fill with sand. If you're going to use it outdoors, fill it with water. I have my Wavemaster xxl on concrete in my back yard. The fact that it moves is a benefit for me. I can get it out of the way easily, when needed.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But... what is resting on that I-beam? How are the things it's connected to attached? I DON'T KNOW. (Actually, knowing why the generally use steel in place of wood -- that tells me that you've got a relatively long span and it's probably holding your house up... and resting on the foundation walls on the ends.) You're not likely to knock the steel over. But is it in the realm of possibility that each blow is loosening joist hangers elsewhere? Maybe...

Do I think your wife is making a bigger deal than absolutely necessary? Yeah. But would an expert's word maybe take care of it? And I actually do know someone who did damage the floor joists and walls with years of banging heavy on a bag hung in his basement. It may have been from wood, not steel -- but that tells me that maybe there is some legit concern...

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
But... what is resting on that I-beam? How are the things it's connected to attached? I DON'T KNOW. (Actually, knowing why the generally use steel in place of wood -- that tells me that you've got a relatively long span and it's probably holding your house up... and resting on the foundation walls on the ends.) You're not likely to knock the steel over. But is it in the realm of possibility that each blow is loosening joist hangers elsewhere? Maybe...

Do I think your wife is making a bigger deal than absolutely necessary? Yeah. But would an expert's word maybe take care of it? And I actually do know someone who did damage the floor joists and walls with years of banging heavy on a bag hung in his basement. It may have been from wood, not steel -- but that tells me that maybe there is some legit concern...

I actually have two of them my basement is shaped like a T and so is the configuration of the I-Beams. and you are right they are in the concrete.

There is a Chinese guy that does work for us from time to time and he is a contractor. I will ask him and if he tells her there is nothing to worry about I'm good

Thanks

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Xue I have owned Wavemaster XXL and Bob bags in the past and present. They both are okay. Really, just okay. You can reduce movement with a device which century sells that wraps around the base. Still when hit to hard they will fall over. My preference has always been a Muay Thai bag. This is and probably always will be the best type of heavy bag. This is do to the ability to work leg kicks effectively. However of course you have to hang them which is part of your problem. The beam you are showing should be absolutley fine to hold a bag and cause no damage to your house but of course your going to get that vibration/sound movement that your wife does not like.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hey Xue I have owned Wavemaster XXL and Bob bags in the past and present. They both are okay. Really, just okay. You can reduce movement with a device which century sells that wraps around the base. Still when hit to hard they will fall over. My preference has always been a Muay Thai bag. This is and probably always will be the best type of heavy bag. This is do to the ability to work leg kicks effectively. However of course you have to hang them which is part of your problem. The beam you are showing should be absolutley fine to hold a bag and cause no damage to your house but of course your going to get that vibration/sound movement that your wife does not like.

Thanks Brian, I think I'm going to try putting the I-beam bracket in an inner tube and see if that cuts down on the vibration and noise.

A Muay Thai bag you say, I have been looking at those and wondering if that would be better than my standard heavy bag. It is a new heavy bag and I got it to replace my original heavy bag that was also an Everlast and about 30 or more years old. However I am not as happy with the new Everlast bag as I was the old one. This new one got soft on top real quick and the old one never did. I was thinking about replacing it but then I got told I was breaking the house :D

And I was in my basement last night looking at the I-Beams.I was wrong, I have 3 the I-Beams one that the bag is on that goes the width of the house on that end and then the “T” set up that goes the width of the house on that end (which is parallelto the one the bag is on) and then the length of the house. And although I know Xuefu is the ultimate and most powerful Martial art in the Universe I doubt I can break the house, I mean if it were only two I-beams sure.... it would be no problem... but three :D

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like your innertube idea might just work. When you get tired or wear our your current bag go to a Muay Thai bag and I can no you will never look back! ;)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just to update this

The inner tube seems to work.... although I have now been told I am still breaking the house but she can't hear it.

Also I had a chance to work with a Muay Thai bag and I like it much better than my heavy bag but I do not have the ceiling height to put a Muay Thai bag up in my basement...damn