Forms and Competition

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since I've started back with TKD, I haven't gone to any competitions. However, I'm starting to get that competitive itch, and I know that at some point I'll be able to scratch it. However, I have one little question about forms: in competition, is there a "right" way to do each form, where any variation is marked as an error?

What I mean is this. Take Palgwe Il Jang. In my class (and some youtube videos) inside blocks are used in place where I've seen outside block used in other videos. Similarly, forward stance in class and some videos, back stance in other videos for the same step in the form. Even looking at some handouts describing the form, I've seen some that use slightly different techniques in different places. While I don't think any of the variations are "wrong" per se, I know that one of them is the original version (for lack of a better description) and the others are variants.

My concern is that the method I have been taught might be a variant instead of the original, and that if competition relies on my accuracy to the original version, I might get docked points because of it. I know it's a minor concern, but I'm a very detail-oriented person.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you talking about USAT competitions? Then yes, there is a correct way. Unfortunately most tkd schools do not teach the proper versions. The palgwe forms are not accepted at Official USAT event.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Considering I'm learning Palgwe forms, I assume I would not be competing in a form competition where Palgwe forms are not allowed.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no central governing body setting standards for the Palgwae forms in the way that the Kukkiwon does for the taegeuk. So the correct way for you to perform them is the way your Master wants you too.
There has certainly been a fair bit of drift in how these forms are performed. I did a fair bit of research into this issue for my first book, in an effort to see what changes had occurred in our branch of the Moo Duk Kwan. I found changes in all 8 of the Palgwae forms.

In open competitions, it is often impossible to find judges who know all the forms being presented. I was judging at one this past summer that had Palgwae, Taegeuk, Chang Hon, Pinan and some variety of gung fu (my memory fails...). In these events, you're judging based on things like strong stances, balance, smoothness and power simply because you cannot possibly know all of the forms presented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since you will most likely be doing opens tournaments since you are not a U.S.A.T. sanction school or member, do it the way your instructor has shown. Most forms have been adapted by what others instructors believe to be correct and since there is no true governing body at opens they will be judge by power, tech and grace like always.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For an open tournament, you'll likely be judged on things like how well you seem to know the form (lack of hesitation, flow from one technique to the next confidently), balance and precision in your movements, power... and, unfortunately, theatricality. (OK, not completely unfortunate, since that's how you sell your understanding, but, still...) Here is the summary from one competition's judging guide:
Kata will be judged on precision of stance, technique, power, intensity, and fluidity of movement

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure.