For All The Taekwondo Bashers The Real Truth On Taekwondo From My View

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kwon this forum is a great tool of knowledge if the chance is given, be patience and the answer you seek can be found. Most practitioners on this forum is willing to talk about a topic and give sound advise. Wisdom comes from knowledge and knowledge comes from experience, experience comes from petience my young man you have gain some experience over the last couple of days. Ask good solid question and great answers will come, remember not everybody is going to see eye to eye.

Terry Lee Stoker

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes...yes....
To Mr. Stoker you listen.

Listen Kwon, there are a lot of people in Martial Talk, TKD'ists and othewise, who have a TREASURE of knowledge, skill and insight... and you'll miss it all if you are more concerned with bold statements than with questions.

I respect that you've used your freetime in your teen years to cultivate yourself in the martial arts, I wish MORE teens would do that. In this, you and I are the same. But while many would give the nod of respect to your going on 10 years dedication... to many, it's simply a very good start...and a Black Belt, merely a sign that you have proven yourself to be a serious student. Please remember (as I also TRY to remember) that a martial artist exhibits their quality in every single thing they do... and what could be more important than how we communicate with each other?

Humility. Patience. Kindness. Honesty. Courage. Openness to instruction and guidance. Being forthright. Seeking excellence in all we do.
These are some of the signs of development and cultivation brought about by commitment to the martial arts....Tae Kwan Do or otherwise.
Like in the Dojang, use and build on these qualities here and you will go MUCH further than if you didn't.
Believe me, this is a message as much for myself as for you... because I'm nothing more and nothing less than....

Your Brother
John

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kwon,

Having read through this thread, I want you to know that I (probably like many others) like your passion. Keep that always! Temper your passion with an inquisitive mind and you will go far.

Miles

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my senior students forced me to sit and watch Foot Fist Way I hated it probably becasue much of it was true in some portions about the commercial Mc Dojo's but also very inapropriate for minors to see and unfortunately there are those who now try to speak as experts that TKD is this narrow thing? I have tortured my student properly for making me watch that but i remember when we were young making our dear departed SGM go to a theater and watch 7 houses of something really bad Kungfoo movie and all he did was hang his head and say Bull **** technique he was kind and patient but I think we paid for that one later?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What's interesting to me about this incredible thread necro is to think that the OP was 17 when he posted this, putting him at 24 now. I wonder if he'd be at all embarrassed by his posts in this thread, if he saw them again.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hopefully the OP has matured quite a bit since his last post as well :)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I pieced the OP together from a quote of it. I don't know if it is complete, but here it is, along with my own responses.
AS AN ITF TAEKWONDO WITH 9 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE I AM TIRED OF HEARING ALL OF THE TKD BASHERS .THAT TO ME IS AN ACT OF CLOSED MINDED AND CONFUSED PEOPLE. (NO OFFENSE TKD BASHERS)

I'm with you on being tired of it.

FIRST OF ALL I BELIEVE WHO ARE U GUYS TO SAY O TKD SUCKS,THEY ALWAY KICK HIGH,SINE WAVE IS DUMB AND THIS AND THAT WHEN U GUYS USUALLY GO BY WHAT U HEAR AND SEE AT CERTAIN MCDOJANGS.

NOT ALL SCHOOLS ARE LIKE AS FEW AS U UNDERSTAND.

I agree; the art should not be judged on the basis of bad schools, as there are plenty of good schools out there as well.

WHEN I HEAR U GUYS SAY THIS ITS THE WORDS UED EXPECT FROM NON MARTIAL ARTIST.
It is what you'd expect to hear from people who simply like to be negative. And MA-ists are not immune to negativity, as I see plenty of negativity on most MA boards.

U KNOW THE GUYS WHO ARE ALWAYS DOING THE KARATE KID CRANE THING,MAKING THE BRUCE LEE NOISE
I'm not sure if this is a part of the OP that didn't get quoted or if it is the non MA-ists the OP mentioned above.

NOW IT IS TRUE THAT TAE KWON DO STYLIST kick HIGH AND FOR THAT REASON I DONT KNOW.
Because we can! :) That and kicking is a part of Korean culture. Regardless of the provable amount of any actual training in taekkyeon by the pioneers, taekwondo is most certainly influenced by it, and part of takkyeon was high kicking.

BUT I DO KNOW IN MY SCHOOL WE ARE TOLD TO KICK BELOW THE WAIST IN AN ACTUAL STREET ACOUNTER.

PERSONALLY I DONT KICK above THE SOLAR PLEXUS.
The OP had originally said 'below,' but in a subsequent post said that he had meant to say above, so for the purposes of responding to his original thought, I have made the correction.

Regardless, at virtually every TKD school where I have trained, practical self defense has been taught primarily with hand techniques and with foot/let techniques being solar plexus level or below.

NOW I BELIEVE THERE ARE MANY CONS TO KICKING AT THE HEAD SUCH AS LOST OF BALANCE,EXPOSURE OF YOUR LEG KEEPING U BALANCED EX.THE PROS CAN BE AN KNOCKOUT OR THE DROPPING OF THE PERSON U KICK.

NOW IMMAGINE IF YOU WERE TO KICK SOMEONE AS HARD AS U CAN WITH A HOOK KICK WITH YOUR HEEL ARE A TURNING KICK WITH THE TIP OF YOUR SNEAKERS OR SHOE THE RESULTS WOULD BE DRAMATIC AND NOT GOOD FOR YOUR ENEMY.
High kicks are like any other technique in self defense; use them when appropriate. There is no self defense technique that is without both pros and cons.

NOW LETS GET ON SINE WAVE NOW I MYSELF WAS TAUGHT SINE WAVE CORRECTLY BUT NOT TO THE DEGREE OF MOST ITF SCHOOLS WHERE THEY EXAGGERATE IT.

JUST PUT IT LIKE THIS I WAS TAUGHT THE WAY WHERE IT CAN BE COMBAT EFFECTIVE

BUT COME ON IN A 1 ON 1 WHO WOULD REALLY GO DOWN UP DOWN TO PUNCH SOMEONE WHERE U CAN PUNCH SOMEONE AND PUT YOUR WHOLE BODY INTO IT.

TO ME SINE WAVE AND ALL OF TAEKWONDO TECHNIQUES ARE MEANT TO PUT YOUR BODY INTO ALL YOUR TECHNIQUE

.AND TO DO THIS U MUST USE SOMETING CALLED CONTROOLED LOST OF BALLANCE.WHICH CAN ME FOUND MOSTLY IN MOVEMENT 18 IN DAN GUN TUL.WHEN U GET TO THAT MOVEMENT U MUST SWING YOUR BODY INTO THE STRIKE INCORPORTAING YOUR BODY MASS AND HIPS INTO THE STRIKE.(I HOPE ALL THE ITF PRACTIONERS CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT)TO EXPLAIN WHAT I CALL CONTROLLED LOST OF BALANCE U ARE BASICCALY TROWING YOUR BODY INTO EACH BLOCK AND STRIKE TO PRODUCE POWER IN YOUR TECHNIQUE.

No comment on any of this, as I do not practice ITF taekwondo or its associated sine wave method.

NOW 1 THE REASON WHY U BASHERS THINK TAEKWONDO DOESNT HAVE ANY HAND STRIKES ARE PUNCHES BECAUSE U NEVER STAYED IN IT PAST BLACK BELT WHERE MOST OF THE REAL HAND TECHNIQUES COME IN.
I don't know about ITF taekwondo, but the bulk of KKW pumse have always been hand techniques.

TAEKWONDO ALMOST HAS THE SAME AMOUNT OF KICKS AS IT DOES HAND STRIKES IF U WANT TO GET TECHNICAL WITH IT.
Actually there are more hand/arm techniques than kicks.

WHY REAL TAEKWONDO HAS FALLEN APART IS BECAUSE ITS MANY INSTRUCTERS THAT RUN MCDOJANGS,THE SPORT ORIENTATED WTF TECNIQUES,THE EXAGGERATION OF SINE WAVE, AND BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT MUST INSTRUCTERS DONT INCOPORATE ENOUGH BOXING TECHNIQUES.
Except that taekwondo hasn't fallen apart and there are no special sport oriented WTF techniques. And why would TKD instructors teach more boxing techniques; taekwondo isn't boxing. In fact, boxing is more sport oriented than taekwondo.

SOME PEOPLE ALSO BELIEVE TKD HAS NO GRABS OR PRESSURE POINTS STRIKES.THERE ARE ENOUGH ALONE IN PATTERNS.THERE IS EVEN A NERVE STRIKE STRIKE IN CHON JI.

THERES GRABS IN WONHYU,YULGOK, AND MANY OTHER TULS.BELIEVE IT OR NOT TAEKWONDO HAS MANY RELEASES FOUND IN PATTERNS SUCH AS HWARANG AND JOON-GOON.
Such things are found in KKW taekwondo as well. The fact is that taekwondo is predominantly a striking art, but yes, there are other techniques in taekwondo as well.

Anyway, I responded for the benefit of people reading this thread, as Kwon17 will likely never see any of this. Wherever he is, I wish him well. It would be interesting to know if he's still practicing.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
who the hell dug up this retarded 7 year old post/thread/stupidity and why?

oh...nevermind.

threads like this should be deleted from the valuable space on the server.

AND LEFT TO DIE.............

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I move for ignoring this thread for as long as it takes for it to disappear into the catacombs again. All in favour, say 'aye'. Actually, no, all in favour say nothing, otherwise we'll never get rid of it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I move for ignoring this thread for as long as it takes for it to disappear into the catacombs again. All in favour, say 'aye'. Actually, no, all in favour say nothing, otherwise we'll never get rid of it.
I say we never get rid of it. What a great thread. I wonder where the OP is now. If he was 17 when he first started this thread, he would be 32 now. Wow... I wonder if he's thinking about this forum now, and wondering why?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I say we never get rid of it. What a great thread. I wonder where the OP is now. If he was 17 when he first started this thread, he would be 32 now. Wow... I wonder if he's thinking about this forum now, and wondering why?
AAAND wondering if he still IS AS ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT HIS TAEKWONDO

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
people who object to old threads are part of the cancel culture that is sweeping the world, they start small and move on to book burning

everything old must be destroyed coz .........

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
people who object to old threads are part of the cancel culture that is sweeping the world, they start small and move on to book burning

everything old must be destroyed coz .........
I had never heard the term 'cancel culture'. It is a spot on analogy.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had never heard the term 'cancel culture'. It is a spot on analogy.
It refers a lot to online stuff-some social media personality/tv star/radio host posted something on fb/twitter/yt 15 years ago, that's not pc by today's standards (or sometimes voice an opinion today that people don't like), or that they have since changed their opinion on, and people shout for their removal/start harassing them. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. But cancel culture has definitely felt like the perfect word for it to me.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It refers a lot to online stuff-some social media personality/tv star/radio host posted something on fb/twitter/yt 15 years ago, that's not pc by today's standards (or sometimes voice an opinion today that people don't like), or that they have since changed their opinion on, and people shout for their removal/start harassing them. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. But cancel culture has definitely felt like the perfect word for it to me.
its may have started there, but its straying a lot further than that, into films books, tv shows,music, statues that someone feels doesnt reflect their view of a perfect world and they required it to be '' cancelled''

even if there is nothing at all wrong with the '' message'' but one of the stars, authors or artists is found to be suspect in their views or action, that to it seems requires it to be cancelled

there are strong parallels with the The Khmer Rouge and them cancelling all history to reinforce the right of their world view

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There have been some actual examples of this, but I think the term is being overused by people (e.g., politicians) who don't want to be held accountable for their words or actions.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There have been some actual examples of this, but I think the term is being overused by people (e.g., politicians) who don't want to be held accountable for their words or actions.
Definitely. But people do that with everything. Just because politicians claim that a word or idea fits whatever topic that they want it to, doesn't mean the actual concept has changed.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Definitely. But people do that with everything. Just because politicians claim that a word or idea fits whatever topic that they want it to, doesn't mean the actual concept has changed.
I hear you, but disagree somewhat. I think the danger is exactly that the concept will be changed BECAUSE the word is being misused. We have to be careful to remember what the word meant vs what the word means. Co-opting vocabulary is a pretty common way to intentionally muddle conversation. Often, the word either becomes so general it is worthless, or in more cynical examples, it can functionally become the opposite of what it once was. And this is often intentional. It's a strategy... a grown up version of "I know you are, but what am I?"

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hear you, but disagree somewhat. I think the danger is exactly that the concept will be changed BECAUSE the word is being misused. We have to be careful to remember what the word meant vs what the word means. Co-opting vocabulary is a pretty common way to intentionally muddle conversation. Often, the word either becomes so general it is worthless, or in more cynical examples, it can functionally become the opposite of what it once was. And this is often intentional. It's a strategy... a grown up version of "I know you are, but what am I?"
by miss used, do you mean people are using it differently than you wish them to

whilst its possible to put strict definition on individual words, concepts are some what different

you appear to be trying to cancel language now ?

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
by miss used, do you mean people are using it differently than you wish them to

whilst its possible to put strict definition on individual words, concepts are some what different

you appear to be trying to cancel language now ?
Lol. Case in point.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions