WTF-Taekwondo or ITF-Taekwondo, What should I choose?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you've got long legs and not a ton of upper body mass to absorb blows, keeping your opponent far away becomes the name of the game. Side kick and occassional hook kick keeps the hard charging short people at bay. Or it did.
I have long legs, and Im 6"2. And I weigh 65.4 Kilograms.
You may have to accept that some people just like punching :)

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have long legs, and Im 6"2. And I weigh 65.4 Kilograms.
You may have to accept that some people just like punching :)
Im the same. Im 6"2; about 83 kgs, am naturally flexible and can kick head height with ease, but Im a puncher and always have been. I enjoy kicking , but Im a puncher. My instructor though, likes to see a healthy ratio of kicks to punches, if all you do is kick he will quickly drag you to the side and have a chat with you, so Ive probably had punching drilled into me from early on.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my area, a formal ITF school is not a choice simply because there aren't any. There are some independent schools that teach Chang Hon, but they are not part of the ITF. Around here, it is predominantly KKW/WTF and Jhoon Rhee. Needless to say, my taekwondo experience over the years has been Jhoon Rhee and Kukkiwon. Jhoon Rhee got me started, Kukkiwon kept me going. Bluewaveschool said on page one that it was really about the instructor. And Olympic aspirations not withstanding, I agree 100%.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Im the same. Im 6"2; about 83 kgs, am naturally flexible and can kick head height with ease, but Im a puncher and always have been. I enjoy kicking , but Im a puncher. My instructor though, likes to see a healthy ratio of kicks to punches, if all you do is kick he will quickly drag you to the side and have a chat with you, so Ive probably had punching drilled into me from early on.
I'm a similar build; 6'4, 96 kgs., but without the natural flexibility. :)

Latest Discussions