American Taekwondo (the art, not the org)

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Being an American, who's nation's combat arts are primarily developed out of arts from Europe, I have no paritcular attachment to the national origins of any art.

Considering taekwondo as specifically Korean means that I know going into a school what the terminology is, the basic skill set, any dojang etiquette that is specifically Korean and specifically taekwondo.

Otherwise, knowing what parts comprise the art is important only in that it expands my selection of source material applicable to my art when I go to the bookstore.

Regarding the car analogy, in order for a car to be considered a domestic car, it has to be classified by the EPA (why the EPA? Who knows?) as being 70% domestic parts content. Thus a Crown Vic and Chevy Camaro were domestic cars, even though they were made in Canada. Hondas and Camrys assembled here are considered imports unless the parts are manufactured here as well. Last I heard, Honda and Hyunday are the only foreign automakers who have cars that qualify as domestic cars (Hyundai's newest Sonata is built in Texas and is considered a domestic car as well). The list may be larger, but I no longer work in automotive, so I do not keep up as much as I used to.

So a Kentucky built Camry is an American guy practicing Shotokan with a Japanese master who is directly from Japan in a school made up of mostly Japanese-American students.

The Texas built Sonata is an American gal practicing 'American' taekwondo (as described by Earl) under an American GM in a school that is made up of mostly European, Latin and African American students.

Daniel

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Being an American, who's nation's combat arts are primarily developed out of arts from Europe, I have no paritcular attachment to the national origins of any art.

Considering taekwondo as specifically Korean means that I know going into a school what the terminology is, the basic skill set, any dojang etiquette that is specifically Korean and specifically taekwondo.

Otherwise, knowing what parts comprise the art is important only in that it expands my selection of source material applicable to my art when I go to the bookstore.

I share your pragmatic approach. It's always bothered me at least in some part the way some Western martial artists foster an Asian fetish within themselves or within their students. It's considered an advantage in many circles to have an Asian as your own direct teacher, never mind the fact that much of the world's best taekwondo or karate is practiced in North America these days.

There's a fine balance to navigate when you want to pay a mark of respect to the art's national origins. I myself would like to practice the art 'authentically' as was taught to my by my teacher, but I recognize as someone from another culture entirely, there are bound to be misunderstood nuances along the way. I don't want to pass down 'nonsense' to my own students, so I am careful to the point of over-explanation.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For clarification, Jhoon Rhee never used the Tang Soo Do name at all.

this is not true

I saw an interview with him from the late 80's where he said, in english that he was a tang soo do BB, but that Americans already knew the term "karate" so he called it korean karate when he started teaching in San MArcos in the late 50's.

the term TKD didnt get used in texas till the mid 60's at least

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I share your pragmatic approach. It's always bothered me at least in some part the way some Western martial artists foster an Asian fetish within themselves or within their students. It's considered an advantage in many circles to have an Asian as your own direct teacher, never mind the fact that much of the world's best taekwondo or karate is practiced in North America these days.

There's a fine balance to navigate when you want to pay a mark of respect to the art's national origins. I myself would like to practice the art 'authentically' as was taught to my by my teacher, but I recognize as someone from another culture entirely, there are bound to be misunderstood nuances along the way. I don't want to pass down 'nonsense' to my own students, so I am careful to the point of over-explanation.
I agree about the western way of thinking regarding the advantages of having an asian teacher. The chief instructors and GM at my club are clearly disappointed that my GM's son stopped doing tkd at 1st dan , he is very , very talented at tkd but just wants to persue different things like golf , business etc. It does seem strange that even though we have very good 7th and 8th dans so many people think it looks better to the guy walking in off the street that we have the son of a korean master running the show. I suppose at some point we all have to move beyond that way of thinking , as some of the best tkd practitioners Ive ever seen have never been to korea in their life and are flat out remembering how to count to ten in korean.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this is not true

I saw an interview with him from the late 80's where he said, in english that he was a tang soo do BB, but that Americans already knew the term "karate" so he called it korean karate when he started teaching in San MArcos in the late 50's.

That's interesting, Twin Fist. Do you remember the source of that interview? I'd like to track it down if possible.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
this is not true

TW I have never heard of GM Rhee calling his style Tang Soo Do ever and I meet him a few times it was called Korean Karate or American TKD.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.jhoonrhee.com/NEWS/news_11.htm

Always the smallest in class, Jhoon often came home crying because he could not defend himself against bullies. The bullies also motivated him to learn Tae Kwon Do. At 13, he started taking Tae Kwon Do classes, then known as Tang Soo Do. He vowed "to be the best in Tae Kwon Do someday."

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it was a videotape program, starred Rhee, Pat Burleson, Allen Steen.

I will try to track down the name of it

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
cuz at that time the terms were interchangable

I read the article but what is confusing is him saying he would be the best in Tae Kwon Do while he was taking TSD, at the time it was TSD it was not yet TKD so how can one be before it time? I am confused and need a beer to fully understand and investigate the matter further.

Latest Discussions