Fixing the training model

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, they won't take you with no experience. I think, hope even, that you are being sarcastic. They are under ISKA rules rather than the unified rules most of us use so is a bit different. You might get a kickboxing fight but I don't think much of ISKA KB rules.

From 'Battlearena' site.

"Matchmaking discipline: Nobody likes to see a one-sided contest; therefore, we thoroughly research and skillfully match our athletes before booking them on our cards. We have longstanding relationships with gyms and clubs nationwide, as they’re comfortable in the knowledge that we will provide the right opponents for their fighters."

For a c class against a noob. Why not. Neither of them would have experience

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well my daughter is flying out to your neck of the woods again, yep it's coming up to Melbourne Cup time again ( her husband is already out there) but she won't be fighting ( she can, she has a good record) cos she's expecting our first grandchild!!!!! :):D:eek:o_O:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

YAY!

Now I get why she in Newmarket area lol

Jeez have they got a runner in the cup?

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for this blog, I got to know many things about the training session. Training is very important for every work.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a c class against a noob. Why not. Neither of them would have experience

And they still wouldn't get a match, no one would pay to watch two people with no experience fight. it would be very boring.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And they still wouldn't get a match, no one would pay to watch two people with no experience fight. it would be very boring.

Depends on who the people are. There are some politicians here in the States that I would pay big bucks to see duke it out! :p

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

That is what the under card is for.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, they won't take you with no experience. I think, hope even, that you are being sarcastic. They are under ISKA rules rather than the unified rules most of us use so is a bit different. You might get a kickboxing fight but I don't think much of ISKA KB rules.

From 'Battlearena' site.

"Matchmaking discipline: Nobody likes to see a one-sided contest; therefore, we thoroughly research and skillfully match our athletes before booking them on our cards. We have longstanding relationships with gyms and clubs nationwide, as they’re comfortable in the knowledge that we will provide the right opponents for their fighters."
Googled mma in my area. I could, right now, sign up for a fight with no record, no set style, and no coach. Oddly, they did want to know what my rank in bjj is though, no option to say my rank in another system. As im a white belt in bjj that might disqualify me

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is what the under card is for.

From a fighter's view perhaps, from a promoter's view, no. Each match needs to be one that sells tickets. Two beginners pratting around the cage doesn't sell seats. It will get booed and derided.

I'm sure there are promotions that will take complete beginners, I would not recommend anyone fights on them though even experienced fighters. Too many cowboys. bear in mind that in the UK there is no authority in charge of MMA promotions so basically anyone can run a fight night with any rules, no medics, no qualified refs etc.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Googled mma in my area. I could, right now, sign up for a fight with no record, no set style, and no coach. Oddly, they did want to know what my rank in bjj is though, no option to say my rank in another system. As im a white belt in bjj that might disqualify me

They probably don't want a 5 second match where its immediately over after a takedown.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They probably don't want a 5 second match where its immediately over after a takedown.
No option for me to list my judo or sambo experience. I could click a box that offers styles i practice, both wrestling and judo were there, sambo was not, and i couldnt list my experience for any of those.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Promoters nightmare, fight after fight that ends in the first round. There's a lot of intervals in nights like that.
People come for an evening of fights, each one should go the distance, keep the spectators on the edge of their seats and happy so they buy plenty of drinks and should leave them going home feeling they got their monies worth.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

Either that or much more likely that they've bought into the same "BJJ is the magic solution to everything" prejudice that you have.

I'm in no way saying it's not an effective art, but the way you bang on and on reminds me muchly of no-touch proponents.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Either that or much more likely that they've bought into the same "BJJ is the magic solution to everything" prejudice that you have.

I'm in no way saying it's not an effective art, but the way you bang on and on reminds me muchly of no-touch proponents.

No, it's exactly what I said. There's a reason why Tez recommended that you learn some groundwork, and its because if you dont know any you're going to get taken down and never getting back up again.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No option for me to list my judo or sambo experience. I could click a box that offers styles i practice, both wrestling and judo were there, sambo was not, and i couldnt list my experience for any of those.

Honestly with that background you could probably say purple belt in Bjj and get away with it.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, it's exactly what I said. There's a reason why Tez recommended that you learn some groundwork, and its because if you dont know any you're going to get taken down and never getting back up again.

I'm doing some groundwork at the moment - digging out part of a lawn to lay a gravel path.

What belt does that equal?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It doesn't have to be BJJ it can be Judo or wrestling. Judo is the easiest to find a place to train in the UK, BJJ is coming up fast but wrestling is hard to find here. A good many places now that coach MMA will teach a generic 'groundwork' class, not quite BJJ but a mixture of things that you can take into a competitive fight, if you have coaches who know MMA this can be very useful, they know what works and will help you find what works for you.
Bear in mind though some karate styles have throws and takedowns as well so learning groundwork is always worthwhile.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be BJJ it can be Judo or wrestling. Judo is the easiest to find a place to train in the UK, BJJ is coming up fast but wrestling is hard to find here. A good many places now that coach MMA will teach a generic 'groundwork' class, not quite BJJ but a mixture of things that you can take into a competitive fight, if you have coaches who know MMA this can be very useful, they know what works and will help you find what works for you.
Bear in mind though some karate styles have throws and takedowns as well so learning groundwork is always worthwhile.

Agreed. Im just trying to tell @pdg that MMA fighters have to learn SOME form of grappling or they're going to get smashed. It isn't hype, its 25+ years of reality that guys who don't know how to deal with takedowns are in a lot of trouble in MMA.

He seems to believe that he dance all over the place and avoid the takedown like some Kung Fu movie hero.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed. Im just trying to tell @pdg that MMA fighters have to learn SOME form of grappling or they're going to get smashed. It isn't hype, its 25+ years of reality that guys who don't know how to deal with takedowns are in a lot of trouble in MMA.

He seems to believe that he dance all over the place and avoid the takedown like some Kung Fu movie hero.

I've never even hinted at that.

Against a good grappler I'm going to be on floor trying to figure out how I ended up there.

Against a crap grappler I'm going to be stood over him while he wonders what happened.

Put against a BJJer of roughly similar ability as what I have in striking I stand a reasonable chance of not getting caught up, and he stands a reasonable chance of not getting hit.

My only argument is that BJJ or other grappling is not a magic badge of invincibility that trumps every other method and shouldn't be treated as such (which is seemingly where you have a huge gaping chasm in your understanding).

Latest Discussions