Aikido/Karate/Iaido: Effects on MMA training...?

C

chaosomega

A friend of mine who trained in Goju-ryu karate (8 years), aikido (4 years) and iaido (4? years), is currently training me. And soon I will be attending a muay thai/MMA school. I was wondering what effect my cross-training in those traditional japanese arts will have on my MT & MMA training (as I will still train with my friend while I go to this school) ?? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
The worst thing any martial art can do for you is increase your options. As far your own personal fighting style goes, how you absorb the material your learning and incorporate it into your fighting style is more up to you than your instructors.

The effect will be a good one if you can handle doing things differently.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off there is not a lot of blocking in muay Thai. You keep your guard a little higher and use your arms to basicly sheild your head while you bury your chin into either shoulder. You will learn to basicly get off the line of attack if possible and you will develope some powerhouse kicks off the front leg. Learn to love the similarites but dont discount the differences because you will now have two different ways of thinking about the same thing.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You already have an excellent background, so that is already a plus on your side. MMA and Muay Thai will be very different from the other arts that you have studied, but like I said, you will already have an understanding of how to throw the strikes. They will go about it in a different way, but you should be able to pick it up quickly.

Good luck in the training!!

Mike

OP
M

MartialArtist

:rolleyes:

Not this again.

With aikido, it takes time, and it's not like you can just study for a year and think you're absorbing anything long enough so you can use it successfully.

OP
C

chaosomega

Originally posted by MartialArtist
:rolleyes:

Not this again.

With aikido, it takes time, and it's not like you can just study for a year and think you're absorbing anything long enough so you can use it successfully.

Yes I do realize this with aikdio from other threads I've posted... I was more interested in the goju karate & iaido influences.

Originally posted by MJS
You already have an excellent background, so that is already a plus on your side.

Not all the arts in my profile are ones that I've studied. But they've all influenced me at least a little bit.

Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
Learn to love the similarites but dont discount the differences because you will now have two different ways of thinking about the same thing.

I never thought of it that way... thank you! :asian:

Originally posted by Zepp
The worst thing any martial art can do for you is increase your options.

Never thought of it this way either. I thought the differing styles might conflict, or not fit well with on another. But your statement makes sense.

Thanks all!

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by chaosomega
Yes I do realize this with aikdio from other threads I've posted... I was more interested in the goju karate & iaido influences.

Not all the arts in my profile are ones that I've studied. But they've all influenced me at least a little bit.

I never thought of it that way... thank you! :asian:

Never thought of it this way either. I thought the differing styles might conflict, or not fit well with on another. But your statement makes sense.

Thanks all!
Yes, they will help, but you have to put time into it. You can't split up a schedule that says at 6, I'll do this and at 8, I'll do this, etc. You have to devote some time into it. How much learning can you get? That's not the entire concept of cross-training.

Iaido however, is something that improves your overall state. Coordination, concentration, etc.

OP
K

Kingston

I dont see how Iaido would help you in the ring.....the only thing i can think of is it would give you lots of practice trying to copy exactly what the instructor is doing by watching....searching for the finer points with certain techniques......

I dont realy see how it would improve your MT though.....Iaido is basicaly the art of drawing and cutting with a sword, just you and the sword....

OP
A

andurilking2

i agree i cant see how the iado would help (or hinder for that matter) your other training. all that the other ma will do is add on to your arsenal it's always good to keep your options open, Ex: i am begining to study a style of kung fu (dont ask me to spell it) which has excellent form, blocks, and open hand techniques but lacks big time on the foot work and i am a big kicker, but in other training i am able to still use my feet along with other things from every ma i have studied along with the kung fu

- i feel i am just babbling at this point, do what you want, i believe you will find any other training to your advantage though, good luck with the new school i hope you enjoy it.

OP
M

MartialArtist

If you can't see how iaido will help, actually try it. You'll find that iaido, kenjutsu, and fencing will help you.

OP
K

Kingston

Originally posted by MartialArtist
If you can't see how iaido will help, actually try it. You'll find that iaido, kenjutsu, and fencing will help you.

accualy i did try it, not for to long, about a year and a half...did kendo for a little longer.....trained under some pretty good people ;) some of the philosophy definatly carries on....some of the "inner meanings" to the techniques definatly translate as well(for kendo). BUT i still dont think Iaido would be worth taking for anything but the enjoyment of practicing Iaido.

OP
K

Kingston

In a perfect world i would still be practicing Kendo and Iaido....didn't quit out of frustration or dissapointment of any kind.

OP
C

chaosomega

I find that iaido's blocking style translates well to empty hand.