Fixing the training model

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not that I'm actually interested in doing it, this is a hypothetical - I don't think I'd like fighting (I like sparring, but that's different), I don't actually enjoy watching fights either...

It is not going to help you unless you want to fly halfway across the world but here.

Homepage - Aftershock MMA

You can just e mail them and get a match.
And they do start mma fgets with bigger gloves shorter rounds and shin guards. So regardless you probably won't die.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You won't get paid. You might get travel. I know a guy who fought in the UFC and was out of pocket by the end of it.

Well that settles that then.

If I can't turn a profit while proving I'm better than everyone else there's really no point :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not halfway, that's literally the other side.

Any further and I'm technically on the way back again.

(I'm in England...)

So then pretty much exactly half way.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well that settles that then.

If I can't turn a profit while proving I'm better than everyone else there's really no point :D

You do it for the love of martial arts apparently. Competition has never really been my thing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toemaytow / tomahtoe
Actually you are wrong, MMA existed before the UFC did. The UFC is a promotional company it's not the style nor the sport.

But doing it for money takes all the "I have something to prove" fun out of it...

Tell that to your family when you have to take unpaid days off work because you have been injured in your fight.

In seriousness though, is it even possible for someone, say me, to get onto a card with no links or introduction through a coach or similar?

The only 'promoters' who would take you are those who care nothing for fighter's safety and are in in for the money they can make out of you.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not going to help you unless you want to fly halfway across the world but here.

Well my daughter is flying out to your neck of the woods again, yep it's coming up to Melbourne Cup time again ( her husband is already out there) but she won't be fighting ( she can, she has a good record) cos she's expecting our first grandchild!!!!! :):D:eek:o_O:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

YAY!

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All you need to do @pdg is make an open challenge on social media. Name the rules, and the location. You'll have someone willing to fight you in no time.
Just make sure the event gets recorded so we can all watch it

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually you are wrong, MMA existed before the UFC did. The UFC is a promotional company it's not the style nor the sport.

I did say facetious post ;)

Technically, didn't MMA exist long before it was actually named MMA?

It's not like nobody ever cross trained in an effort to improve their performance before...

Tell that to your family when you have to take unpaid days off work because you have been injured in your fight.

Choose the funniest answer from the following:

I'm far too good to get injured.

Or

And that's why I don't think I'd like fighting.

The only 'promoters' who would take you are those who care nothing for fighter's safety and are in in for the money they can make out of you.

So in other words, a responsible promoter would only allow someone to compete who has a certain level of competence in all the 'usual' areas - stand up, striking, grappling, ground?

Which while sensible, actually reinforces what I said before that a "pure" practitioner of a single art would have serious trouble actually getting in.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's put it this way. I had a friend who is training tai chi. And he used magical powers to stop a confrontation.

Dead set touched the guy, used energy manipulation and interrupted his chi or something. And the guy walked off.

Go on ask how long he lasted in mma class?
In class? Probably not that long. But put that guy in the ring, and you got a new champ!

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
All you need to do @pdg is make an open challenge on social media. Name the rules, and the location. You'll have someone willing to fight you in no time.
Just make sure the event gets recorded so we can all watch it

I get to name the rules?

Ace.

Rule 1. You can't forcefully hit me with anything.
Rule 2. You can't grab me.
Rule 3. You can't call me nasty names.

Should be an easy win.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I get to name the rules?

Ace.

Rule 1. You can't forcefully hit me with anything.
Rule 2. You can't grab me.
Rule 3. You can't call me nasty names.

Should be an easy win.

Oh no, you definitely want grabbing. If you can avoid the takedown using TKD, you'll become rich and famous overnight.

More likely though you're going to get taken down, and your face is going to get pounded like hamburger meat. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's put it this way. I had a friend who is training tai chi. And he used magical powers to stop a confrontation.

Dead set touched the guy, used energy manipulation and interrupted his chi or something. And the guy walked off.

Go on ask how long he lasted in mma class?
That's a single instance, from a single source. We've talked about this before - it's possible to be skeptical and still use anecdotal evidence. You have to get input from multiple sources and look for what seems to be common. If I talk to 3 cops about what they find useful from their training (even if they're all from the same art), then I start to get actual useful information. If I add more people, from different arts, in different occupations, I start to get something that serves as data. I expect we all know the dangers of self-reporting, and also know it is often used where other sources of data aren't available.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a single instance, from a single source. We've talked about this before - it's possible to be skeptical and still use anecdotal evidence. You have to get input from multiple sources and look for what seems to be common. If I talk to 3 cops about what they find useful from their training (even if they're all from the same art), then I start to get actual useful information. If I add more people, from different arts, in different occupations, I start to get something that serves as data. I expect we all know the dangers of self-reporting, and also know it is often used where other sources of data aren't available.

And yet still on par with horoscopes.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ring up a place that does C class fights. Tell them you are a taekwondoleer with no fights and they will generally hook you up.

Quick search found battle arena in UK.

MMA Battlearena | European Mixed Martial Arts

Then it is just on you. If you think you can get a guy with a few fights experience take that. If you want to take a crack at a noob. Go for that

It really isn't the mysterious super sport it used to be.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet still on par with horoscopes.
Not really. You're suggesting we have to either accept all anecdotal evidence without question or deny t all with prejudice. There is another option, and we use it all the time when we discuss what works in any context, industry, or endeavor.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ring up a place that does C class fights. Tell them you are a taekwondoleer with no fights and they will generally hook you up.

Quick search found battle arena in UK.

MMA Battlearena | European Mixed Martial Arts

Then it is just on you. If you think you can get a guy with a few fights experience take that. If you want to take a crack at a noob. Go for that

It really isn't the mysterious super sport it used to be.

LOL, they won't take you with no experience. I think, hope even, that you are being sarcastic. They are under ISKA rules rather than the unified rules most of us use so is a bit different. You might get a kickboxing fight but I don't think much of ISKA KB rules.

From 'Battlearena' site.

"Matchmaking discipline: Nobody likes to see a one-sided contest; therefore, we thoroughly research and skillfully match our athletes before booking them on our cards. We have longstanding relationships with gyms and clubs nationwide, as they’re comfortable in the knowledge that we will provide the right opponents for their fighters."