Finding The Time

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would imagine that everyone here has a job where they are putting in at least 40 hrs., sometimes more, per week. So, with all of your RL responsibilities, how do you find the time to get any serious training time in? Do you put in as much training time as you'd like? What is your typical training schedule?

I would imagine, that everyone would probably want to put in more training time if they could.

I ask this, because while surfing the web, I came across a post on another forum, in which the OP was talking about cross training. He went on to ask how it could be possible to do everything on a meaningful level. So...if we really want to get technical, with RL, as I said above, even if we do one art, is it going to be on a meaningful level?

Keep in mind that the comments regarding more than one art are not mine. For myself, I train in more than one art. Would I like to have more training time? Of course. Who wouldn't? There are many times when I don't make it to an Arnis class for months at a time, due to my work schedule, but I supplement that with a private lesson from time to time. I also keep working on the material that I already know. I'm not in a rush. I'm not hungry for belts. I'm more interested in learning than what color is wrapped around my waist.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Time is always ticking unfortunately - and there is never enough for anything.

I work a 40 hour week and i have an hour commute both ways. Then factor in all those extra home related activities, like cooking, cleaning and the like....time just disappears.

What i do though is set aside the time because lets face it, exercise is extremely important - and without it you'll have even less time. During these aloted periods nothing else matters except me and my art....

On the multiple arts - i think it is possible to train in more than one but it may not be for everyone. Personally, i find one challenging enough but i know others who train in a few and love it....

At the end of the day we need to make time for what is important - family, friends, martial arts....and we need to do what makes us happy, as there is never enough time!

Logan

Green Belt
Reaction score
You just have to make time to train - if it is a priority in your life, then it is relatively easy to do e.g. get up a couple of hours earlier than normal, avoid slumping on the couch in front of the tv etc.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I spend way more time teaching than I do working on what i need to. Because i choose to teach I take the responsibility of doing so at the sacrafice of improving more advanced techniques and forms.
With work family and trying to find time to sleep there is not much left for me to practice of course i could get out from in front of the TV once in a while also

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A big part of why I've had to make some of the training decisions I have is because of my work hours. But, through my instructor's dedication and selflessness, I've been able to get on the mat a good amount each week, as long as I don't have extemporaneous issue that keeps me from getting to his school.

I'm very grateful for his help.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This isn't really my normal schedule, but its the one Im on now since Ive three competitions over the next four months. At this point in time, I am either working, training, or sleeping.
I work about eight and half a hours a day, and my shift changes each week. If Im finished by six, I head over to my dojo which has moved to about fifteen minutes away from where I work. At the moment I train about six days a week with sunday as a rest day. Plan looks like this
Monday: Light training, focus on polishing technique.
Tuesday: Medium training, focus on fitting techniques into drills. Lots of drills.
Wednesday: Heavy training, focus on fitness, conditioning and sparring.

Repeat pattern thursday through to saturday.

On those weeks where Im working late, it means I can only train three days of the week. In its own way this is a good thing since it sorta enforces rest days on me.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my view if there is a strong enough will, then there is a way. You have to make the time to do it.
For myself, having a full time job, a family, and running a Karate school, time is spread very thin.
I decided to take care of training first thing in the morning so I started getting up an hour earlier every day to get training done right away!
Once you fall out of the habit of a training routine it gets easy to find reasons to skip it.
It's important to make time to fit it in.
I train in 3 different arts. Although teaching it every day helps, it doesn't take the place of a good hard workout for myself.
Even if you can squeeze in an extra 15 minutes per day, it helps.:)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is all about creating a routine or ritual and then sticking to it. Even on a busy, busy day I always find time to get in a good workout. However it is one of the priorities of every day. That is the type of mind set and approach you need to take.
icon6.gif

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I work a 45hr a week job, I then have 5 classes this semester. So homework is thrown in there as well.

I dont get near as much time to train as I would like but I make due. Over the summer when I only have work I push myself and try to make up for lost time.

B

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I work a 40 hr week I also teach private any time after 5 any day.
I also on my days off teach more public classes and I leave early from work on my days to train with my teacher and then make up the hours some how. When I am not doing these things I am training what I am taught or going over something for classes I take 1-2hrs a day doing this.
I may take 5 mins here are there to just practice a stance eventually doing that 10x's a day well thats 50mins of training. The idea is to find a ways to allow yourself the time to train. Time is flexible it leaves little holes for you to be able to get what you need to get done you just have to look for it and be flexible with it.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I spend way more time teaching than I do working on what i need to. Because i choose to teach I take the responsibility of doing so at the sacrafice of improving more advanced techniques and forms.
Ditto. Although I do find that in teaching, I learn a lot, too, and often get in a pretty good workout. Same for you, TSC?
With work family and trying to find time to sleep there is not much left for me to practice of course i could get out from in front of the TV once in a while also
Ditto, again. But those 'downtime' activities are important, too. Without rest and recreation, don't think my workouts would be very productive.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
The trick, like Brian said, is to make it part of a schedule. Further, you have to think of it as a mandatory task rather than an optional one.

Do you ever find yourself wondering how you'll ever find time to commit 40 hours a week to your job? Probably not, because it's in the schedule and it's mandatory.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You just have to make time to train - if it is a priority in your life, then it is relatively easy to do e.g. get up a couple of hours earlier than normal, avoid slumping on the couch in front of the tv etc.

Well said Logan...I try to get a day in and head out to where Father Greek teaches and let hime pound on me for awhile...When placed on a standing post I find areas where no one can see me and there I practice the kicks, blocks and strikes that comprise the system I am currently studying..

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'm with you I find myself teaching more and more and training less and less. My flexibility is suffering and so is my conditioning.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To MJS's question: Do I find time to get serious training in? Yes I'd say 11 months out of 12 months each year I 'go hard'. Would I like to put in more? Not really- but I would like less stress at work to focus on training without such a flat out lifestyle. But you gotta eat? And while I'm young an energetic, able to get away with this, why not?

As Brian said, find a schedule that works for you and then make sure you stick to it (with some sort of flexibility). It certainly works for me- I need my training for release, both physical and mental.

I also chop and change my routine from time to time. For example, I've spent the last 2 weeks with 2 less Muay Thai sessions and have increased my weight sessions to 4 per week. Now I'm back to 4 Muay Thai and 2 weight sessions per week at night. I also alternate my morning routine, from running, to more martial arts, to bootcamp etc. Keep it interesting, and you can have different goals in your training at different times. I'll probably increase my weights to 3 nights a week leading into our summer, get my body all sexy for the beach :) LOL!

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have 0 time for anything I don't fit into what I'm doing. That sentance confused me, let me elaborate. You need sleep and food. You have to meet requirements for where you work (be on time, well dressed and groomed, adequate energy to do a competent job). The only training I have time for lately is too brush my teeth in shigodachi, take the stairs, ride my bike, stand on one foot to tie my shoes, remember proper breathing etc.
I call that making time. We do what we can. Fighting for survival is always a form of training.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Always remember? Family comes first, your children needs you to spend time with them. (Spouse too).

Work should always be second because this is how you take care of your family.

As far as for martial art training, you will have to set a time each day, when alone and when you can devote your efforts. Everyone can make time. Study about time management. Learn to use it. You will find you will have more than enough time each week.

Most of us have only 24 hours/7 days a week....for those who have more time in a week? Lucky you! This is what happens when you are average working person. (Note: above average only gets 25 hours a day and has only 8 1/2 days a week)....it is when you get real high..the benifit are better!

So most of you average people out there? Make the most of what you have!

Aloha (send in my applications for above average....was rejected three times already.)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
During the time that I'm not running a school, I have time to train for the 1st time in a while. I train MA 3 times a week & run 2 times week. (Both on my own) I'm looking for time to go to our sister school up north to train on a weekend soon.

The time that I now have to train is a blessing given my new stressful job. I have a unique situation in that I'm in between teaching & bidding my time until I teach again. I'm enjoying the break, but I know it'll get to me & I have to teach again soon...or I'll go nuts.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I plan my work and home schedules around my class times. If I didn't I'd go nuts. Ed Parker Jr had a seminar at my dojo about a year ago and he asked, "What one word describes what Kenpo is for you?"
My answer: Therapy.
I can (and have ) had really bad days, but, just getting out of the car to walk into the dojo, I start to feel better. It is surreal.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I made the decision 4 years that I would make my volations my vocations.
I do Personal Training/Kettlebell Instructing as my main line of work.
I also do a little private Self Defense training and I pick up odd jobs here and there.
This allows me the time to train a good deal.

Our northern Dojo is located in the same Health Club I train out of, so the mats are always handy.
I teach 2 hours on Monday night ( I try to work in with the class for my own training.) and attend a 2 hour class on Thursday night and 2 hour Saturday noon class under my Sensei.
On top of that a few of us gather on late Friday afternoon for 1 1/2- 2 hours of training (Usually throws,grappling, MMA style sparring or scenario training-sometimes all of these).

I practice Pekiti Tarsia and Silat 1-2 times a month with Dave Wink and practice the material in short 15-30 minute incrimints 4-5 times a week (along with the blending of it with Jujutsu that happens on Monday and Friday) in a catch as catch can manner.

A few of us are going to start meeting on Monday afternnon for an hour or so to work on techniques and drills.

On top of that I do physical training, right now Sunday and Weds are my long weightlifting sessions with a few Dojo mates. Monday I do a 30 minute strength and conditioning circuit. On Tuesday I put down some mats and do some mat drills, Ukemi and ab work but I dont get carried away and go too hard as this is active recovery and skill training. Friday I do a 30 minute strength session.
I also get in reps of differnt drills with clients.

My goal is to training as much as a proffessional MMA fighter, but in Combat/Traditional Jujutsu and Pekiti Tarsia and Silat along with the physical training I do.

And it does sometimes hurt my bottom line but I consider this an investment in my future, as I will open up a Dojo/Physical Training Club in 1-3 years time.