How do you find time to train?

micah

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
you make time.

commitment is the stuff character is made of; the power to change the face of things.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to clarify, MA is NOT a hobby for me, I do consider it a way of life and not just something I do to kill time. Thats why I consider my training time so important...

I wasn't saying that you thought of it as a hobby and I apologize if I it was taken that way. I was trying to describe a particular point of view on training that many have even though they don't consider it a hobby.

It is difficult to get enough time in. You just have to make it part of your life.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate to sound like your folks, but your education is really important. I struggled with training regularly in college & grad school. There will always be time to train, but maybe not always for school. If you plan to run a school at some point, you will benefit a great deal from the experiences of your education.

Grab it while you can, it my not always be there.

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
Maybe somebody mentioned it and I missed it in the thread, but at least spend some time training! You're better off training 30-60 minutes/5 days a week than not using it because you don't have the 3-5 hour block that you want at one time! A little each day is better than none, or even better than a lot on one day with nothing on the other days! That's a principle that works for anything that must be practiced, whether it be martial arts, music...you name it!

Most of us have been in your shoes at one time or other (if not now!), and we've made it...so you can too! Keep your chin up, train as hard as you can whenever you get the chance, and you'll make it where you want to be!

Salute.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Education does come first. It's always good to have a degree in your pocket when you hit the "real world," even if you do plan on pursuing the martial arts full time as a career.

Fit in what you can fit in, regarding your training. If you can shave off a bit of time from your sleeping schedules, then do so. You can always catch up on the weekends. Also, it's nice to have that escape from the academic world once in a while.

During my last few months of graduate school, I was trying to frantically finish up everything as soon as I could, and made the mistake of stopping my training entirely. Trying to hammer everything out in a continual motion was beginning to burn out, actually reducing my productivity. Going back to the dojo a couple times a week, even if it meant spending two fewer hours a week typing up a dissertation or scheduling my experiments so that I could go train during a "hurry up and wait" experiment, really helped get my mind back in gear.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a 41 yr old mom to three. One is special needs and my elderly mother is also in my full-time care. I earned my black belt in 04 and haven't trained hard since.

I never finished my college education and I cannot express the regret I have now.

You will make time to train or you won't train. It's a long path you'll have with you for a long time, but if you are forced to make choices, choose your education first. You won't regret it.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
IMO you dont find time to train, you make time to train

if your studying you can sit and stretch at the same time

if you need to go to shops you jog or run

you do a pullup on every doorway you pass through at home etc

OP
P

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wasn't saying that you thought of it as a hobby and I apologize if I it was taken that way. I was trying to describe a particular point of view on training that many have even though they don't consider it a hobby.

It is difficult to get enough time in. You just have to make it part of your life.

No problem :) Now that I read the post I seem a bit defensive, but its ok really I was just clarifying.

Maybe somebody mentioned it and I missed it in the thread, but at least spend some time training! You're better off training 30-60 minutes/5 days a week than not using it because you don't have the 3-5 hour block that you want at one time! A little each day is better than none, or even better than a lot on one day with nothing on the other days! That's a principle that works for anything that must be practiced, whether it be martial arts, music...you name it!

Most of us have been in your shoes at one time or other (if not now!), and we've made it...so you can too! Keep your chin up, train as hard as you can whenever you get the chance, and you'll make it where you want to be!
Salute.

yes i know! lol, right now as finals draw near, its almost impossible for me to make any time at all

If you make it a part of your life you will find that you are always training in one way or another.
Sean

Very true, good post!

IMO you dont find time to train, you make time to train

if your studying you can sit and stretch at the same time

if you need to go to shops you jog or run

you do a pullup on every doorway you pass through at home etc

Heh, its funny you mention this, because I get a lot of strange looks when I do different 'kata' while im walking, stuff like chainsaw punches down an empty hallway (lots of those), assorted blocks and deflecting moves, foot work etc...

Education does come first. It's always good to have a degree in your pocket when you hit the "real world," even if you do plan on pursuing the martial arts full time as a career.

Fit in what you can fit in, regarding your training. If you can shave off a bit of time from your sleeping schedules, then do so. You can always catch up on the weekends. Also, it's nice to have that escape from the academic world once in a while.

During my last few months of graduate school, I was trying to frantically finish up everything as soon as I could, and made the mistake of stopping my training entirely. Trying to hammer everything out in a continual motion was beginning to burn out, actually reducing my productivity. Going back to the dojo a couple times a week, even if it meant spending two fewer hours a week typing up a dissertation or scheduling my experiments so that I could go train during a "hurry up and wait" experiment, really helped get my mind back in gear.

Thats what Im afraid of; Im afraid I will get so busy I will simply have to stop, which I cant do. Training clears my mind and gives me focus, so I think I will always make time for it no matter what. but its like this week, I have been so busy writing essays and studying for tests that every spare moment I have cannot be "wasted" on NOT doing homework.

Thanks for all the replies :) you all are helping more than you know

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me ask you this question do you have time to date if so stop dating and start training a young man in college should not be dating and should spend all time that they are not studing to train the body to the fullest.

KempoFlow

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I try to find time daily to practice but it's difficult with school and a family. I study at the dojo twice a week. My kids both go twice as well and I help out the Sensei in class. With all of us I am there 5 days a week. It's hard but it's worth it. I love it so much.

Stryder

White Belt
Reaction score
Get your education.

I did and my training suffered but my education is now paying for my training so....

Give up 20 minutes of beauty sleep once or twice a week and do some Katas. I've run through my self defense moves in my hotel room on business travel at 5am to "get me sharp" before that big meeting....

Martial arts will always be there for you, live it and you will be "training" every minute of every day.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you have breaks at work and a quiet place to work on your class material. I also try to work out every morning, but I don't get bent out of shape if I miss one.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am a college student enrolled in 13 credit hours, with a full time job where I work 38-40 hours a week. I also have a girlfriend and a family to spend time with. I go to my Wing Chun class usually twice a week, which is not as much "hard training" as it is learning, and we are expected to train hard and practice what we have learned outside of class (like homework). For me, a good training session would last at least 2 hours, and a really good one would be 3-5 hours, five days a week. With my current schedule, I am lucky to get 30 minutes of training a day.

How am I supposed to reach my goals at this rate? On one hand, I am faced with attending college and getting a degree (which was mostly imposed by my family), but on the other hand, what I really want to do with my life is to constantly learn and teach Martial Arts. I want to become as high level as my Sifu, and he trained 5 hours a day when he was my age. Why cant I just study martial arts as my 'degree'? Its what I am passionate about, and right now school seems like so much drudgery and useless knowledge to me. So what do you guys think I should do to make time? I need to get college out of the way, but what is the point if all I can think about is training?

Sigh...

Hello I have been faced with that same problem in the past also.In order to remedy it,I do alot of training early in the morning.Hers's a copy of my schedule:

MONDAY
Mornings: 45 mins of Cardio Kick-boxing( stamina and mobility training)
(5:40-6:30) 30 x 4 Shin kicks on heavy bag(stamina and speed training)
Evenings: Muay Thai
Night: Weight Training (Thighs Calves Hamstrings Biceps)
1. Dumbell Squat 10x4
2. Standing calf raise 10 x 4
3.Leg Press 10 x 4
4. Dumbell Curl
TUESDAY
Mornings: Running (Stamina training)
(5:40-6:30) 30 x 2 Left Straight Right Straight Liver Punch
30 x 2 Waive , Liver Punch, Right Straight
(Combos fluctuate and special attention must be given to footwork and distance)
Evenings: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Night: Weight Training (Chest Triceps Shoulders Upper Back)
1.Bench Press 10 x 4
2.Overhead Dumbell Extension
3.Military Press
WEDNESDAY
Night: School (online courses)

THURSDAY
Mornings: Running (Stamina training)
5:40-6:30 30 x 2 Left Straight Right Straight Liver Punch
30 x 2 Waive , Liver Punch, Right Straight
(Combos fluctuate and special attention must be given to footwork and
distance)
Evenings: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
Night: Weight Training (Thighs Calves Hamstrings Biceps)
1.Leg Press
2.Leg Curls
3.Calf Raises
4.Preacher Curls
FRIDAY
Night: Chill ;its Friday night!
SATURDAY
Mornings:
(8:00-10:00) School (online courses)
11:30-12:30 Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
2:30-3:30 Weight Training (Chest Triceps and Shoulders)
(Burnouts)
3:30-on Do something else fun, its Saturday!
SUNDAY
Morning:
(8:00-10:00) School (online courses)

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
get your education

you are young and have a long time to learn the martial arts. You can still teach the arts if that is your wish but I suggest geting a degree and haveing something to fall back on or to do till your calss size reaches the point where it will support you and a family

you'll never eegreat getting your college degree - and if you don't you'll always regret it - especially later in life, when it will be more difficult (not impossible of course)

Latest Discussions