The Arts: Past & Present

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I had said, there were many great masters back then, who used their martial arts for self defense. The techniques I'd imagine, were designed for what people would be facing at that point in time. In other words, if the main weapons were a club and knife and the people wore a heavy body armor, then that is what they had to worry about defending against. In the present day, nobody walks around dressed like a Samurai so I would think that it would be good to modify a technique for what one would face today. The technique in and of itself doesn't need to change, but the method of execution could be different.

Some tend to look at a more traditional art, and feel that it serves no purpose in todays world. Why would someone want to train with a sword when nobody walks around with one? Many applications to weapons, can translate to another weapon and even empty hand, therefore, giving it a more modern application. As an example: Modern Arnis has stick and club techniques. Pretty much anything that you can apply with a weapon in your hand, you can also apply empty handed, which now gives the modern time use for said technique.

I'm certainly not against cross training, as I've been doing it for many years. However, I don't feel that one has to abandon their art, just because the new flavor of the month pops up and everyone runs around thinking that its the best and nothing else comes close to it. On the other hand, I don't think that someone with a traditional mindset should turn a blind eye to how another art works.

Mike

If I may Mike, fighting against someone in armor does have it's applications in the modern world. Well, it depends on where you live. Does it cold where you live? Do people wear heavy snow clothes/coats? Thats an application. So is the fact that armor is heavy. So, if you're wearing it and practicing moves, you'll have to get stronger. Sword defense also has applications, it becomes defense against a Baseball bat.

Bingo, and anouther Bingo.

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello, You may want to consider this? : In the olds days of training, people train for hours and hours, learning things over and over. There training was almost everyday for long periods.

The training was more hard core: they hit each other very hard, kick each other very hard. Develop their body and limbs to take alot of punishment.

They train like "professional's" do today. Modern day, most school's train for only 2-4 days a week and for 1-2 hours only. Hard hitting and contact are not seen anymore.

Even Mr Bruce Lee realize....training is daily and for hours or we lose our sharpness and strenghts. (he once mention he didn't want to live long because of the training).....He thoughts was "CAN I still train like this when I am in the 50's and up?

Black Belt from the past? and today's Black Belt? Do you believe is NOT the same thing? or ?

Aloha

My point exactly. Difference between most 'martial artists' and those MMA guys is that they train for hours and hours everyday, with maybe one day of rest. Most martial artists, as Still Learning stated, train maybe every other day or less, and for maybe 1-2 hours, hell even I myself am guilty of this.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I may Mike, fighting against someone in armor does have it's applications in the modern world. Well, it depends on where you live. Does it cold where you live? Do people wear heavy snow clothes/coats? Thats an application. So is the fact that armor is heavy. So, if you're wearing it and practicing moves, you'll have to get stronger. Sword defense also has applications, it becomes defense against a Baseball bat.

Police and Military forces are wearing more and more body armour, techniques for dealing with armoured opponents will become more important in the future.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

While wearing a heavy winter jacket does provide some added protection, I was talking more along the lines of this. Big difference, IMO, from a jacket. Additionally, I have yet to see someone walking in in an outift like the one I linked.