Favorite Martial Arts Quote

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm gonna take this right foot, and I'm gonna whop you on that side of your face... - Billy Jack

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If the cause is just, even though the foe be 10,000... I go.*

*Funakoshi Gichen -- Founder of Shoto Kan Karate

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Theodore Roosevelt, Judoka and Twenty-sixth President of the United States:
The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly
Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here are some of my favorites,

" Not every technique has the same reaction on every person, therefore no technique is 100% effective" - Bill Shaw

"Freestyle means more than one way to do it right, it does not mean any old way you want. Taken together these two statements indicate the obvious logic that follows. While there is more than one way to do it right, there is also more than one way to do it wrong" - Bill Shaw

"There are three laws of the flesh. Strength is the child of toil, skill is the child of discipline, and endurance is the child of suffering." David Jackson (my teacher that I came through the color belts under)

The obstacle is the path
~ Zen Proverb

"If you fail to take advantage of your enemies' collapse, they may recover." - The Book of Five Rings

"All know the Way; Few actually walk it." -- Bodhidarma

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." -- Dave Barry

I like these.

Mark

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"You move like a pregnant yak." - Chiun, Master of Sinanju.

"You have to run very fast." Chiun, Master of Sinanju (when explaining how he can run on the surface of a lake)

"I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger." - Mencius

"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it" - Unknown

"A warrior lives by acting, not by thinking about acting, nor by thinking about what he will think when he has finished acting." - Carlos Castenada

"Warriors do not win victories by beating their heads against walls, but by overtaking the walls. Warriors jump over walls; they don't demolish them." - Carlos Castenada

"Life has meaning only in the struggle. Triumph or defeat is in the hands of the Gods… So let us celebrate the struggle!"
- Swahili saying

"Generally speaking, the Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death." - Miyamoto Musashi

"There exist only three respectable beings: the priest, the warrior, the poet. To know, to kill, and to create."
- Charles Baudelaire

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." - Sun Tzu

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" -Col. Rex Applegate

I believe the above quote to be quite possibly the best "test" or "criterion" for our training. If a technique or method won't meet that standard, then it's probably not worth messing with.

"You will not rise to the occasion, you will not default to your training, you will default to the level of training you have mastered." -James Yeager

"When the great day of battle comes remember your training and remember above all else that speed and violence of attack are the sure road to success." - Gen. George S. Patton

"Forget stupid politically-correct marksmanship-based shooting schools and strip-mall shaolin temples of the partial arts. Learn how to kill with your gun and your knife and your hands so you can kill those who would kill you. Being alert without the capability to do something about things is wasted effort." -Gabe Suarez

"There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's a simple fact." -James Keating

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"If I'm out numbered and my life is in danger I'll just start shooting" my first instructor said that.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"There`s a reason bobcats don`t hunt Grizzly bears."

Me, right before I showed my 7 yr old nephew that no, as a matter of fact, he didn`t 'get' me.

"You guys don`t get it. I`m not locked in here with you, you`re locked in here with ME!" Rorshack in the movie "Watchmen"

Latest Discussions