Fastest Man on the planet for Multipower Brand.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How can you have speed and not power? Force=MassXAcceleration, meaning the faster your strike, the more power you can generate.
A jab is not a powerful punch it is most likely the fastest punch in a boxer has in his tool box as it is thrown like a whip very loose. An over hand punch is slower than a jab but there is more torque used in it. So yes there is speed but the punches are or at least look to be flimsy. Force=strengthXacceleration in the case of humans. A person who does not know how to throw his body into his punches will only produce a weaker punch compared to someone who does.

OP
ice84

ice84

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A jab is not a powerful punch it is most likely the fastest punch in a boxer has in his tool box as it is thrown like a whip very loose. An over hand punch is slower than a jab but there is more torque used in it. So yes there is speed but the punches are or at least look to be flimsy. Force=strengthXacceleration in the case of humans. A person who does not know how to throw his body into his punches will only produce a weaker punch compared to someone who does.
Do you remember The best punch of Ali' ? Jab

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's a lot more to human movement dynamics than massXacceleration.

Everyone says F=MA and leaves it at that. That's junior high school level physics. I know, I teach junior high school science. And I've taken several biomechanics courses, including two at the graduate level.

F=MA in this and just about every other context barely scratches the surface.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's his technique that is impressive, not his speed, which is just "really good" and very far from "the best" in any standard.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you remember The best punch of Ali' ? Jab
Go have someone hit you with a jab in the arm, then have them use an over hand on your arm you should feel a lot more pain.

A jab is important used to make distance, set up punches, throw the other guys timing off etc etc, but having a fast jab is only one tool, it's a boxers bread and butter but with out meat and potatoes you aren't going to get full on it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Biomechanics of the head for Olympic boxer punches to the face | British Journal of Sports Medicine

The bag momentum was also greatest for the highest skilled subjects (60.8 (SD 17.3) Ns) compared to the lower skilled punchers (42.3 (SD 11.6) Ns) even though their respective fist velocities were approximately the same. The authors hypothesized[sic] that the increase in bag momentum was due to the skilled boxer’s ability to generate a greater effective mass during the impact than the lower skilled boxers. With a fist velocity at 11.5 m/s immediately before impact and the resultant bag momentum of 47.4 Ns, the effective mass of the striking fist was estimated to be approximately 4.1 kg. This is greater than the mass of the hand and reflects the ability to link more of the arm mass into the punch.

The study isn't exactly what we're talking about here, and I actually found the preliminary background information much more relevant than the study itself. But the study does go into mathematically calculating the force of a punch as well as the effective mass of the punch.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For anyone who thinks it's as simple as F=MA, scroll down to the section titled "Calculation of head translational and rotational acceleration" and calculation of punching force" sections of the study Steve linked to. I'll link to it too...

Biomechanics of the head for Olympic boxer punches to the face | British Journal of Sports Medicine
What are you talking about? It says
graphic-2.gif

I clearly see a F, an equal sign, a M and an A. And the F is on the opposite side of the equal sign than the M and A. Pretty sure you just thwarted yourself with your own link.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Exactly. It's interesting to note that the fist velocity was about the same for everyone, skilled or not. But the effective mass of the fist was a matter of skill.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Depending on the technique:
M = fist mass, or
M = body mass.

... right?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I want my twenty minutes back that I spent reading that study.

Latest Discussions