Falling, rolls and self defense.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
A post I put on another forum.

Hey Gang,
Just curious as to how many schools cover self defense, falling and or rolling. I was on another forum and a member who trained at what they said was ITF under UTI in the Netherlands said they dont. Thats OK of course just different to me. I trained both WTF and ITF. I actually did more of it in ITF than my WTF club. Usually not until red or Black Belt but every school of the 4 main ones I studied in the last 25 years did cover basic falling and self defense.

I read a lot of what I will call traditional TKD comments here vs newer sport minded and expect a lot of folks do but maybe its me..

Dave O.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We don't have breakfalls in our curriculum persay, but I started teaching it about 3 months ago, starting a white belt. I feel that is one of the first thing ANY martial artist should learn, and my sabumnim agrees. It's a pre-Kwan Chung Do Kwan school. Prior to that I was in ITF and there was no falls or anything there, but being in Judo since I was 15 has instilled that into my training.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Falling/rolling/dive tumbling are a core part of our curriculum as is self-defense.

Peace,
Erik

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
used to be a part of the TKD program, after several changes it has been a little forgotten but lives on the the extra programs, ground fighting and BJJ.

It certainly should be a bigger part in the regular program...you go down in a bad way, chances are your fight is over.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My TKD is old style, we do ITF forms but are not part of ITF - never were, as far as I know.

We did falling as part of training, I think you have to if you are going to train takedowns. But when I looked back at the lineage, I discovered one of the grandmasters had also trained in Judo. I can't remember if we did rolling in that school. If we did, it was not much.

Then in another TKD school, also non-ITF that did ITF forms we also did rolling in addition to falling. But that instructor (an ex-Marine Korean) was also a BB in Judo.

It seems I am not the only one to think Judo is a great compliment to TKD. :) I did not realize that I was following in the footsteps of my m.a. "ancestors" when I started taking judo classes. For me, I see it as a logical extension of some of the training I have already received in TKD, plus exploring a new range.

I am really curious, too, to hear from some more traditional TKD people, whether you train rolling and falls and to take it a step further, do you know if your instructor or instructor's instructors instructor...studied Judo?

In my first school I had to go back ~5 "generations" before I found a Judo guy (that I know of).

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In Krav Maga we practiced falling and going into a forward roll from the fall and getting up ready to attack, it was a good drill.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am really curious, too, to hear from some more traditional TKD people, whether you train rolling and falls and to take it a step further, do you know if your instructor or instructor's instructors instructor...studied Judo?

In my first school I had to go back ~5 "generations" before I found a Judo guy (that I know of).

I'm a Judoka and my KJN is a Hapkidoin, so I know they do the flying flashy breakfalls. None of the other yudanja in my dojang have any judo/jujitsu background, but most have *some* HKD background. I think regardless of style, breakfalls and rolls are important. You can always keep your footing in a fight, and if you happen to be defending yourself against any sort of grappler, be it a wrestler, judoka, jjj, etc, you will get thrown.

In Krav Maga we practiced falling and going into a forward roll from the fall and getting up ready to attack, it was a good drill.

The drills I do are similar, but I have them getting into a guard stance from foward rolls and any other rolls. Backward breakfalls I have them roll over onto their feet into a guard stance.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You can always keep your footing in a fight, and if you happen to be defending yourself against any sort of grappler, be it a wrestler, judoka, jjj, etc, you will get thrown.

If I get thrown, God help me. Against any judoka, I suck in grappling! Maybe in a few years! LOL!

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since we have quite a few takedowns and throws in my style of karate, learning to fall properly is really important. Rolling is a bit less emphasized, but is practiced.

I love rolling, but many of my fellow karateka seem to have huge (mostly) mental barriers to rolling properly... the idea makes them tense up out of fear that they'll do it wrong... which generally leads to them doing it wrong (and landing hard). It's even funnier and more pronounced when you place a low barrier on the ground and tell them to do the same roll over it. It can be a soft, squishy pillow, and they tend to act like they're doing the high-jump over it... ;)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah we do it all as well. But when you are over 40 it is not the funnest part of class.

OP
D

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
44 as of 7 days ago. I love it. Falling drills actually help me feel better. (done right)

Dave O.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Breakfalls are probably the most useful thing I teach. Not many people will use their TKD to protect themselves or their loved ones, but many will use their breakfalling skills in the Winter.....especially this one which seems long already!

Mr.Pittbull

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Dortiz,

I'm a yellow belt in PaSaRyu and landing is something we practiced just this past week, and something I need to practice more. I wound up on the ground with a concussion and whiplash:erg:,but thats ok lesson learned, I love it I really do. With the Aikido take downs like we were practicing I would logically think that landing would be an essential part of it like with any other MA style that would go to the ground.

-Mr.P

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Breakfalls are probably the most useful thing I teach. Not many people will use their TKD to protect themselves or their loved ones, but many will use their breakfalling skills in the Winter.....especially this one which seems long already!

I say this to my students all the time. I've got more stories (personal and from others) about falling skills saving my butt than I do about fighting skills.

Peace,
Erik

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I start my sudents on breakfalls from day 1. I am not teaching TKD right now, I teach 2 Okinawan styles as of last week, but my TKD training has them in it also.

Latest Discussions