My First ITF Class

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's a rival method at the very least. You are stuck on semantics instead of the bigger point.
A person would be a fool not to look beyond the borders of their art. That doesn't mean an admission of anything, just due diligence in finding an approach that works for the individual.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Step 1: Make some overly-simplistic claim that is generally not true, preferably a claim that diminishes either a style or a noteworthy person.

Step 2: When the claim is refuted by facts and evidence, roll a dice and select randomly from the following list:

a) "My father is famous and he says it's true."

b) "I don't have to prove my point, because it's something everybody already knows."

c) Use as counter-evidence an isolated anecdote, preferably one that has nothing to do with your original claim.

d) Cite your own experience and claim that your experience is the universal norm.

e) Argue that the refuted evidence is off-topic.

f) Contend that the evidence is irrelevant, because you are smarter than everybody else.

Step 3. As additional refutations of your overly-simplistic claim continue to be provided, repeat Step 2. Repeat indefinitely. Repeat forever.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
A person would be a fool not to look beyond the borders of their art. That doesn't mean an admission of anything, just due diligence in finding an approach that works for the individual.

That's not what's being discussed. What I wrote about is (again) specific schools teaching rival methods. I did not pay a TKD or Karate school to have me train watered down Boxing, or BJJ or anything else. I payed the school to have me train TKD, Karate or some other martial art.

By your definition, my father is a fool. All he ever did was Shotokan.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not what's being discussed. What I wrote about is (again) specific schools teaching rival methods. I did not pay a TKD or Karate school to have me train watered down Boxing, or BJJ or anything else. I payed the school to have me train TKD, Karate or some other martial art.

No... from all anybody can tell, your father is actually a myth. Sort of like your in depth knowledge.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Here's the thing. Most boxing techniques exist as formally stylised techniques within Taekwondo. Practicing any kind of boxing style combinations is therefore only practicing applied Taekwondo principles, not as you put it 'watered down boxing'.

Assuming that Mirce Opeloski (I guess thats the fella you keep referencing) is actually related to you, OK he practices Shotokan. But to say he had never looked at techniques from other arts, never looked over the edge....sounds fishy.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's the thing. Most boxing techniques exist as formally stylised techniques within Taekwondo. Practicing any kind of boxing style combinations is therefore only practicing applied Taekwondo principles, not as you put it 'watered down boxing'.

Assuming that Mirce Opeloski (I guess thats the fella you keep referencing) is actually related to you, OK he practices Shotokan. But to say he had never looked at techniques from other arts, never looked over the edge....sounds fishy.

He did not. Unless you count basketball as martial arts. So is he a fool?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He did not. Unless you count basketball as martial arts. So is he a fool?

I don't believe you...even if he is related to you, you would never know the absolute truth about what might have influenced his training. Everyone is influenced by everything they see or hear, whether they want to be or not.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't believe you...even if he is related to you, you would never know the absolute truth about what might have influenced his training. Everyone is influenced by everything they see or hear, whether they want to be or not.

Pathetic dodge.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Pathetic dodge.
Look, you took my general statement on training wisdom: 'a person would be a fool not to look outside the confines of their art' and applied it directly to one person who frankly, I don't know from Adam.

I would never disrespect another martial artist directly in that way. You made that statement, not me. The difference between us is I have respect for others. You seem to struggle with that.

I find it highly unlikely that a seasoned martial artist of any style has not had exposure to and been influenced by other styles.

You seem to want to win in some way. I am not sure what you think you are winning. You seem keen to apply that fool tag. I have an idea.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Additionally: a note on how English works. The word 'would' indicates a hypthetical or conjunctive situation. Not a real one.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Again, not 'rival' anything.

Working with ideas from other arts can develop new ways to apply the principles of your base art. That is the value of bringing in ideas. However, where I do that, I tend to bring in an expert from the style in question and actually learn the stuff. We have dedicated boxing trainers in our club.

This approach helps us to see new ways to apply old knowledge and skills.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looking at this person's FB page it would seem he does look at other styles. We have a friend in common too, Datu Hartman, perhaps a word from him on here would help?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Calm down, I knew his name because you basically gave it. I didn't know your name. There is an idiom in English 'to not know someone from Adam', which describes someone who is a total stranger to you. When I used that idiom, I meant I know nothing about Mr Opeloski. He is a stranger to me.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Calm down, I knew his name because you basically gave it. I didn't know your name. There is an idiom in English 'to not know someone from Adam', which describes someone who is a total stranger to you. When I used that idiom, I meant I know nothing about Mr Opeloski. He is a stranger to me.

Context. You used it in a very, very coincidental circumstance.

Where are the boxing type punches in the Choi encyklopedia, 1965. Remember, this dates back to the origin. If it should be found anywhere, it would likely been here.

I only see typical Karate strikes.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Taekwondo is not static. There's more to it than what is in the book. But still, you don't see traditional and stylised versions of the jab, straight, upper cut, and hook, for example? Deformalised, along with backfist, spin backfist, hammer fists, palm heels, knife hands, thrusts, slaps and forearms, they form the basis of a very useable hand system without the need to rely wholly on western boxing. You'd have to be blind or fairly unimaginative not to see it and develop it.

Latest Discussions