Everyday uses of your martial arts

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shodan said:
Anyone caught themselves bowing when walking into or out of an establishment other than the dojo?
Oh, definitely! I also use 'Sir' more often in addressing seniors, because of my martial arts habits.

On the plus side, it's made me a better and more repsectful listener and learner in non-martial settings, too.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shodan said:
Thanks for this thread.........I thought I was the only one!!

Anyone caught themselves bowing when walking into or out of an establishment other than the dojo?

Yes I have LOL. Now I have to bow in my own house when entering the living room (where I do jujitsu) when my instructor is around ... gggrrrr. I'll never live that down LOL.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Inside cross kicks for cupboards, almost always. Car door, side cutting kick.

Fore me MA comes in handy mostly when I need balance or to get out of the way of something. A couple of weeks ago I avoided a large chef's knife falling off the counter by evading back into light stance.. I also stepped into monkey stance to avoid a drunk once.

For getting served faster at the post office on friday, I use my short staff. :EG:

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Oh, definitely! I also use 'Sir' more often in addressing seniors, because of my martial arts habits.
That's me too, hearkened from my TSD days. In my kung fu school we don't observe a ton of ceremony and strict ettiquette like other styles, but I still call my instructors Sir and I always respond to an order with yes sir. And outside the school everyone is a sir unless they are a ma'am.

Latest Discussions