anyone use MA moves in everyday life?

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do. It helps me practice.

I open my bedroom door with a mae geri keage or mae geri kekomi (especially if I have something in my hands) or sometimes yoko geri keage or else yoko geri kekomi (omg! i have to learn that one now)

those terry's chocolate orange's I open with a shuto hand

I once used a jodan age uke to protect myself one day when i was walking up stairs at university and some guys next to me were playing with a small ball and one tossed it and it was headedfor my head

Used a seiken zuki to protect myself when one day I was at university outside a center where they had just gotten a new couch for their room and I was crouched down with a tea in my right hand. One guy tossed an old sofa coshion out the door and it was headed right for me. So I punched out with seiken zuki to stop it from hitting me.

Came home from ice skating one day to find out someone had the music turned up loud and they couldnt hear me when I knocked on the door. So I made two shuto hands and banged on the door harder (you can hit much harder with shuto than with normal knocking) and they heard that. so I was able to get in the house.

I'd use jodan juji uke if needed now I have learned it.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I regularly turn on and off light switches with front kicks, close closet doors and drawers with round and back kicks. :)

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not connected to martial arts, but on the same level:
I pretend I use the force to open automatic doors :)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I practice tai sabaki all the time when merging with other people in crowds. If you have a rambunctious little one at home, there are all sorts of opportunities to practice your MA discretely when playing with him.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
No specific technique, but I do use my balance and flexibility to flush toilets with my foot instead of my hand.

After all, you know exactly what people were doing with that hand before flushing the toilet. Ick.

And yes, I STILL wash my hands afterwards :) And open the door with a papertowl.

Not a germaphobe, but I do want to address some of the obvious germ transactions :)

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
No specific technique, but I do use my balance and flexibility to flush toilets with my foot instead of my hand.

After all, you know exactly what people were doing with that hand before flushing the toilet

*laughing* Ewwwww! =]

I'm going to use a shotokan kick to flush toilet from now on, me thinks.

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mae geri, and mawashi geri to turn off my bedroom light. Kokutsu and kiba dachi when on the train and its moving.

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mae geri, and mawashi geri to turn off my bedroom light. Kokutsu and kiba dachi when on the train and its moving.

I'd use mawashi geri for that too but you should see my light switch my leg don't reach to the ceiling! lol

Kiba and kokutsu dachi I also use a lot as well. Also zenkutsu dachi.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On a serious note I've found myself subconsciously using my MA training/experience all the time in my day to day life. Being aware of my center of gravity, my surroundings, as I walk, stand or generally move. Since I am a guide in a (tourist) cave I move, as one tourist noted to their companion behind me, gracefully. While wild caving then I consciously keep my MA discipline in mind. Again, balance, center of gravity, stance, movement, energy conservation, awareness, etc. When I'm doing physical work I'll use MA-discipline to whatever I'm doing at the time. Once at work (I also do maintainence work) we were outside clearing some dead fall around the trees near the parking lot. Some were too long to be handled effectively. With some nicely placed kicks I was able to break many of them down to more manageable lengths, my co-worker was wondering why I wouldn't want to use the hand saw or hatchet, why would I? :uhyeah:
I'll do Kata a few Tai Chi moves when I'm alone and do my best to keep relaxed (though not always successful :shrug: ).
It's a nice state of mind and presence of body to be in.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Situational awareness, balance, suppleness, keeping loose, it's always there. Never as deliberate as throwing kicks to turn off lights ... haven't done that since I was like 12.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your karate stance should be your everyday stance and your everyday stance should be you karate stance. It is all about being natural, ok off the soap box.
icon7.gif

I interact with people everyday in a business atmosphere. If they only knew the things I was doing to them in my mind while conversing. I also consider distancing and body positioning while in striking range of my perspective customer. Incognito of course.
icon7.gif
icon7.gif

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Situational awareness, balance, suppleness, keeping loose, it's always there. Never as deliberate as throwing kicks to turn off lights ... haven't done that since I was like 12.
Unless the lightswtch is below the knee, I wouldn't recomend it either.
sean

Latest Discussions