Your embarrassing moments in the martial arts

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My favorite one of all time (and it's a constant source of laughter for my students, who weren't there, but whom I've related the story to several times to ease their frustrations) would have to be one of the sparring sessions from my TKD days wherein I was sparring with a buddy of mine and we both totally ZONED OUT on each other, nothing else mattered. Not the other students (who cleared outta our way, we got goin at it good) not the walls (which will become important very shortly) and not the sparring gear piled in the corner. So we eventually move our way around the entire school and I thought I had him set up real damn good, and I was ready to rock with this combination I'd literally spent the last ten minutes setting him up for. Well, in my own inimitable style I'd conveniently forgotten to take into account exactly where teh FREAKIN WALL was located. I figured I had the place to myself and things like walls, tables, chairs, don't really matter, I guess. So I set him up and baited him into a roundhouse kick in the direction I wanted it to be in, and started a violent counter clockwise spin to launch an aerial spinning kick, and promptly KNOCKED THE BEJEEZUS OUTTA MYSELF on the wall...which somehow decided it was appropriate to put itself 3" behind my left shoulder. My buddy never completed the kick, he fell over halfway through delivering it when he saw how hard I knocked the crap outta myself on the wall. It took both of us the better part of the next half hour to return to normal functionality. He couldn't stop laughing. I spent the first 15 minutes trying to figure out why I was seeing little birdies tweeting around my head, and the next 15 laughing about it.

*sigh* Youth.

Latest Discussions