The Versatility of the Foot in Self-Defense

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was motivated to start this thread by some recent comments in another thread about wearing shoes while training. I brought up at least one kick (the so-called 'toe-rip kick') that can't be easily performed whilst wearing shoes, and Victor Smith mentioned that the variety of kicks available in traditional Okinawan karate is often discounted, which even given my limited knowledge, I still agree 100% with. And defensive application of a foot technique is not always a 'kicking' motion, but I'll use the term 'kick' here to generically mean foot techniques (other than perhaps sweeps).

When I think about the hand, and the huge variety of methods it is used in self-defense, I am somewhat surprised at the limited uses the foot is put to. Granted that feet lack the dexterity of hands, most notably due to the lack of an opposable thumb. Also, we typically cover our feet, and most of use don't use our feet for anything much other than a means of propulsion.

However, we know that feet can be quite a bit more useful than we generally suspect; people who have been forced to use their feet as grasping and manipulating appendages due to the loss of hands or arms have proven that such things can be done.

So, I'm curious about the ways that various martial arts use their feet and toes in self-defense. There are many ways in which feet are used that are common to many martial arts; while some are more typical of one art than another.

In my own art, Isshin-Ryu, typically the foot is used as a club or a punch, taking into account the way the knees and ankles and hips move that are either similar or different from elbows, wrists, and shoulders.

Our primary kicks are these:

Mae Geri - a front snap kick delivered with the ball of the foot. Clubbing / chopping motion.

Mae Konate - a front push kick delivered with the heel of the foot. Punching motion.

Shoba Geri - a front snap kick, but delivered to the side. Same as Mae Geri otherwise.

Shoba Konate - a low kick delivered with the blade/heel edge of the foot at a slight angle to the front; also known as a 'knee crusher'. A chopping motion.

Hiza Geri - not really a kick; it's a knee thrust to the groin.

Fumi Komi - A cross-over stomp kick delivered with the heel. And interesting kick designed to deliver a raking downward kick with or without a terminating stomp to the inside or outside shin and foot of a person standing too close. Delivered by raising the foot over the knee of the other leg, and then stomping straight down with the edge of the foot/heel advanced.

Otosihi Geri - Similar to what others call a Mawasha Geri; a squat kick delivered to the hara area of the opponent with the ball of the foot in a clubbing/punching manner. The karateka steps to 45 degrees, leans hard to the side they are stepping, and raising the opposite foot at about a 45 degree angle in the air, delivers a kick using a full chamber snapping motion. Almost a mae geri as if done while leaning over to one side.

Yoko Geri - Side kick delivered with the edge/heel at about obi high, with the hips pivoted/opened to allow force generation and extension.

We have other kicks as well, but those are the basics. What are yours?

In what ways do you use the feet defensively that are similar to hand techniques? In what ways are they different?

Are there hand techniques that could be adapted to the foot?

I think that the founders of various arts spent a lot of time thinking about how the various parts of the human body could be used defensively, including the foot and toes. They also extensively tried what ideas they came up with to see how and if they worked. Some of the things they did then might not work in today's environments, given that we don't generally toughen our feet or work on the flexibility and capability of our feet as anything other than things to use for walking, but are there any neglected techniques that could be put back into service with some training?

Interested in your thoughts.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
By this Proposed Logic;
Straight Punch = Front Kick.
Roundhouse Punch = Roundhouse Kick.
Uppercut Punch = Raising Kick.
Hammerfist Punch = Axe Kick.
Backfist Punch = Outer Crescent Kick.
Twin Hand Punch = Jumping Twin Front Kick.
Spinning Backfist = Spinning Heel Kick.
Jumping Punch = Jumping Front Kick.
And so forth.
All of these can be used on the Front or Back Leg, from this Outlook.

Id debate that the Dynamics of Hand and Foot, or even Upper and Lower Body are very different, and cannot be compared to each other like theyre synonymous for Striking.
However;

We Kick with the Toes when aiming at the Groin, since you get a bit of a weird angle if you adjust the Angle. This is since most other Groin Kicks require the Groin to be exposed in the first place.
We tend to use Kicks as Finishers, or to Sustain a Combination.

As for Similarities; Id Punch someone in the Ribs as readily as id Kick them there.
Range is Irrelevant, if you choose your Targets Situationally.

These Neglected Techniques really arent needed. But I wouldnt mind seeing more of them being more Commonplace.

Personally, I feel that your Entire Body should be at your ready usage.
At any given time, to most Targets.
At, say, Close Distance; Clinching Range; Im comfortable Headbutting. Elbowing. Punching. Forearm Striking. Wrist Striking. Open Hand Striking. Grappling. Kneeing. Kicking. Sweeping. Takedown Methods. Whathaveyou. Same goes for Medium and Long Range.
I had to say all that, to get to this.
I would not try to Roundhouse Kick someone with the Ball of my Foot at Close Range. I would however use my Shin.
This is where it can get detailed.
Toe Kicks require the right angle. The right impact. Strength or no.
Now apply that Logic to anything thats become Obscure in this sense.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sanchin stance teaches us to trap our opponents legs. Once Trapped we can bump straight on to damage their knee, or with a slight pivot it can help with a take down.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sanchin stance teaches us to trap our opponents legs. Once Trapped we can bump straight on to damage their knee, or with a slight pivot it can help with a take down.

Yes, I agree. Now that you mention it, we have some 'hidden' kicks in Isshin-Ryu. For example, the step-over in Naihanchi can be a 'by the way' shin kick, meaning it is a kick, but delivered while doing something else. Same for the two big steps out/over in Wansu, it's a 'bump' kick where the leg is being used as a block/deflection for an incoming kick, then a turn to the opponent's body as you land your foot with theirs trapped outside yours. The last two kicks from the cat stance in Wansu also are defensive kicks AND offensive kicks at the same time; there is a small brush movement with the leg when chambering that is supposed to symbolize brushing a kick aimed at the groin, followed by a snap kick to the opponent's groin.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By this Proposed Logic;
Straight Punch = Front Kick.
Roundhouse Punch = Roundhouse Kick.
Uppercut Punch = Raising Kick.
Hammerfist Punch = Axe Kick.
Backfist Punch = Outer Crescent Kick.
Twin Hand Punch = Jumping Twin Front Kick.
Spinning Backfist = Spinning Heel Kick.
Jumping Punch = Jumping Front Kick.
And so forth.
All of these can be used on the Front or Back Leg, from this Outlook.

Id debate that the Dynamics of Hand and Foot, or even Upper and Lower Body are very different, and cannot be compared to each other like theyre synonymous for Striking.

I don't think they are synonymous, but if we look at our ancestors, they use their feet as readily as their hands. They have not yet lost their opposable thumbs, but more importantly, we have similar joints - knees as elbows, ankles as wrists, hips as shoulders. They don't move in the *same* directions, but they do deliver rotating or levering ability in a similar fashion. Principles are similar if not the same.

However;

We Kick with the Toes when aiming at the Groin, since you get a bit of a weird angle if you adjust the Angle. This is since most other Groin Kicks require the Groin to be exposed in the first place.
We tend to use Kicks as Finishers, or to Sustain a Combination.

Our sensei discusses this in our dojo. We're aware that other styles use the toes for kicking; we curl them up and generally kick with the ball of the foot where you would use your toes. We also consider the groin a target, but we aim up and in; the 'junk' is just 'in the way' and gets crushed as we try to collapse the pubic bone/hips (hopefully). Less on control, more on power in this sense. Sensei has showed us toe kicks that require the crossing of the big toe over the second toe to deliver what almost looks to me like an uchi knuckle. Can't do it myself - not enough dexterity. We're told that Shimabuku Soke used toe kicks until the commanding officers of the Marines he trained complained that they were coming up with broken toes too often; they still had work to do and could not all have broken toes all the time!

As for Similarities; Id Punch someone in the Ribs as readily as id Kick them there.
Range is Irrelevant, if you choose your Targets Situationally.

I agree, but we did a self-defense technique in the dojo the other night that used the forward leg as a sweep to turn the opponent and then deliver a body punch; working it hard with each other, I noticed that when in fight-mode at close range, an untrained person would not tend to suspect a kick and hence isn't expecting their forward leg to be suddenly swept. It's a big surprise.

These Neglected Techniques really arent needed. But I wouldnt mind seeing more of them being more Commonplace.

Personally, I feel that your Entire Body should be at your ready usage.
At any given time, to most Targets.
At, say, Close Distance; Clinching Range; Im comfortable Headbutting. Elbowing. Punching. Forearm Striking. Wrist Striking. Open Hand Striking. Grappling. Kneeing. Kicking. Sweeping. Takedown Methods. Whathaveyou. Same goes for Medium and Long Range.
I had to say all that, to get to this.
I would not try to Roundhouse Kick someone with the Ball of my Foot at Close Range. I would however use my Shin.
This is where it can get detailed.
Toe Kicks require the right angle. The right impact. Strength or no.
Now apply that Logic to anything thats become Obscure in this sense.

I absolutely agree that everything that can be used as a weapon should be trained as such (perhaps not counting the head; head butts generally are not something you want to practice at full power, eh). But it was the last thread Elder started on shoes versus bare feet that got me thinking primarily about feet for the purposes of this thread.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mae konate with the heel, is used as a toe strike up and between the legs into the groin from underneath. When done in the air it would resemble a front snap kick, only the toes point up. It is hard to explain but hopefully you know what I am saying. In some kata what would appear to be a cross stomp is actually preparation for a throw hidden while completing a 180 degree turn.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think they are synonymous, but if we look at our ancestors, they use their feet as readily as their hands. They have not yet lost their opposable thumbs, but more importantly, we have similar joints - knees as elbows, ankles as wrists, hips as shoulders. They don't move in the *same* directions, but they do deliver rotating or levering ability in a similar fashion. Principles are similar if not the same.

*nods*

Our sensei discusses this in our dojo. We're aware that other styles use the toes for kicking; we curl them up and generally kick with the ball of the foot where you would use your toes. We also consider the groin a target, but we aim up and in; the 'junk' is just 'in the way' and gets crushed as we try to collapse the pubic bone/hips (hopefully). Less on control, more on power in this sense. Sensei has showed us toe kicks that require the crossing of the big toe over the second toe to deliver what almost looks to me like an uchi knuckle. Can't do it myself - not enough dexterity. We're told that Shimabuku Soke used toe kicks until the commanding officers of the Marines he trained complained that they were coming up with broken toes too often; they still had work to do and could not all have broken toes all the time!

This is why we tend to use them on the Groin. Its a softer surface. Otherwise, Ball of the Foot all the way.

I agree, but we did a self-defense technique in the dojo the other night that used the forward leg as a sweep to turn the opponent and then deliver a body punch; working it hard with each other, I noticed that when in fight-mode at close range, an untrained person would not tend to suspect a kick and hence isn't expecting their forward leg to be suddenly swept. It's a big surprise.

Hence Situational Targeting. A favorite of mine in that regard is to slide the front foot directly up and out, delivering a quick kick to the shin, just above the ankle. Not only is it forceful, but it can be a big distraction, even if it doesnt hurt anything.

I absolutely agree that everything that can be used as a weapon should be trained as such (perhaps not counting the head; head butts generally are not something you want to practice at full power, eh). But it was the last thread Elder started on shoes versus bare feet that got me thinking primarily about feet for the purposes of this thread.

Headbutting can be handly if youre clinched, or if someone tries to grapple you. :)

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score

I absolutely agree that everything that can be used as a weapon should be trained as such (perhaps not counting the head; head butts generally are not something you want to practice at full power, eh). But it was the last thread Elder started on shoes versus bare feet that got me thinking primarily about feet for the purposes of this thread.[/QUOTE]

yep I agree.. by the way I study shobayashi shorin ryu and Matsumura Seito.... the kick is a good tool but you should not neglect the hands. but the Okinawan styles are very very good for dealing with both armed and unarmed attackers.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At the highest levels of Wing Chun, the legs and feet perform many of the same kinds of defensive and offensive functions as the hands and arms. When demonstrating Chi Gherk or "sticky legs" my old Chinese sifu would use his feet to check, catch, parry, deflect and counterstrike or sweep with dexterity that exceeded what I can do with my hands, and of course with far more power. As for myself, I have a partially crippled ankle and have never been very good with my legs. I prefer simple kicks and defenses, or just using my hands and keeping my feet on the ground.

Once I had a young student who was very good at "hacky-sack". Honestly, I think that if he had stuck with it, he had the potential to reach a similar level with his legs.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In bjj you have five limbs all used together: 2 arms, 2 legs and your head. There are very few techniques that fail to use a at least four of the five.One of the first major milestones for new students is when the y realize that they have feet.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In bjj you have five limbs all used together: 2 arms, 2 legs and your head. There are very few techniques that fail to use a at least four of the five.One of the first major milestones for new students is when the y realize that they have feet.

Ain't that the truth!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the highest levels of Wing Chun, the legs and feet perform many of the same kinds of defensive and offensive functions as the hands and arms. When demonstrating Chi Gherk or "sticky legs" my old Chinese sifu would use his feet to check, catch, parry, deflect and counterstrike or sweep with dexterity that exceeded what I can do with my hands, and of course with far more power. As for myself, I have a partially crippled ankle and have never been very good with my legs. I prefer simple kicks and defenses, or just using my hands and keeping my feet on the ground.

Once I had a young student who was very good at "hacky-sack". Honestly, I think that if he had stuck with it, he had the potential to reach a similar level with his legs.

Reminds me of when I was back in college. My roommate came home drunk one time and really wanted to fight me to see "how tough I was". I kept telling him, I wan't tough just enjoyed doing karate. Well, drunk and good decisions rarely go hand in hand and he tried to kick me. I used the sweep step/kick from Naihanchi as I moved out of the way and he went right past me. I then just pushed him into the wall and between the two he fell and lost his balance and fell to the ground. I was amazed that the step could be used in that way, since I hadn't been specifically shown that application (of course I have heard other people say that this application won't work at all also...). The legs are a very good equalizer when used appropriately.

The more I researched into the old okinawan methods, I found that the kicks from okinawan karate did not extend past the length of their punch. This means that they were used VERY close in and weren't used from a distance like most use them for. I think even untrained people are used to someone trying to kick them in the groin from a distance but not many have trained to deal with that happening when close in and already engaged.

Also, depending on your footwear, the old toe kicks are still a very viable option. Think of wearing hard tipped boots and applying them in the same way as the toe kick.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The more I researched into the old okinawan methods, I found that the kicks from okinawan karate did not extend past the length of their punch. This means that they were used VERY close in and weren't used from a distance like most use them for. I think even untrained people are used to someone trying to kick them in the groin from a distance but not many have trained to deal with that happening when close in and already engaged.

Aikido-ka rarely kick. It's the rare dojo that even formally practices striking in any fashion. Regardless, the operative assumption in aikido is that everything comes from the hara, limb movement and all. Understanding that, I think it's very arguable that if an aikido-ka ever choose to kick, he'd do it very much like how you state it above, that the kick wouldn't extend past the length of a [balanced] punch.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People forget when they get in close until "it just happens" but in CMA (& in other MAs I reckon) ... stances have multiple uses. Amongst them is in close, they are locks/attacks/bridges/parries to the lower body. It's been mentioned in passing & in example a little above, but your lower body does more than just move us. We train for once closed in range to our opponent, our stances & stepping is used in conjunction with hands & upper body to lay into the opponent. We have specific motions & drills for fighting with our legs when in tight & try to work that in everytime there's a chance.

Just a thought...

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
People forget when they get in close until "it just happens" but in CMA (& in other MAs I reckon) ... stances have multiple uses. Amongst them is in close, they are locks/attacks/bridges/parries to the lower body. It's been mentioned in passing & in example a little above, but your lower body does more than just move us. We train for once closed in range to our opponent, our stances & stepping is used in conjunction with hands & upper body to lay into the opponent. We have specific motions & drills for fighting with our legs when in tight & try to work that in everytime there's a chance.

Just a thought...

Agreed, we have many steps in our forms that are meant to trap the foot and then follow up with a move to tear out the ankle or knee. Also, lots of stance transitions that are meant to be used in very close that will lock out the leg or tear out the knee and at the very least off balance their own stance.

I think that is one of the disadvantages of the sports martial arts/kickboxing phase is that the distance is artificially lengthened and it's easy to lose that perspective and look at stances only in the context of a way to stand and not for snapshots in generating power or lower body attacks.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
i think most arts use all 5 limbs, but I think the mile stone you mentioned is often the same in most of the arts. It seems quite the revelation when they find out that the legs and feet can be defense and offense too.