Everyday uses of your martial arts

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started thinking about all the techniques from my training I use in the day to day grind to make life easier. Feel free to add your own.

1) The Ax kick snap kick combo - Ax kick the toilet seat in the unisex bathroom to knock it down, catch it with the snap kick so it doesnt bang.

2) Front leg thrust kick - to open the giant walk in fridge door to walk out without putting down whatever food product happens to be in my arms

3) hook kick - to close the regular fridge behind me when my arms are full.

4) Jump side kick - to close the front door as I run down the stairs at my dad's house.

That's all I can think of right now... But I know I'm not the only one!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find myself using elbow strikes on doors as I open them...I used to kick closed the head-high cupboards, but not so much anymore (a combination of age and no longer doing a kicking-oriented art).

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
.I used to kick closed the head-high cupboards, but not so much anymore (a combination of age and no longer doing a kicking-oriented art).

I used to do them more often but my wife didn't like it.....still manage to sneak some in though.

Two of my oddest are: Using feet to turn on/off sinks. A spinning back kick to flush the urinal in the men's room (works on aim and control)

Not uncommon to use snap kicks to turn on/off light switches and sidkicks or heel rakes to close the front door. Actually, sidekicks to close/open dooes and snap kicks or push kicks to open doors if very common when my hands are full

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use a soft block on doors sometimes. And your description, Samantha, brings back memories. When I worked at Burger King in college, I used to use the same kicks on the walk in.

Also, not an everyday use, I HOPE, but about 15-20 years ago I got hit by a car in a parking lot. My judo breakfall techniques kept the back of my head from hitting one of those white pieces of concret they use to mark parking spaces.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I draw back into a cat stance when pulling open a door. I use palm strikes when spanking my kids. OK just kidding on that last one. I tried to no-touch KO my boss last friday so I could leave early but it didn't work, I think she was wiggling her toes.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Whew, this'll be tough... I use martial arts stuff everywhere.

I use single-whip or palm strikes to push doors and cloud hands to pull them. I used to use hook kicks against refrigerator doors a while ago... now I use shovel kicks or take their center using stancework (sometimes both). I'll use footwork to move through crowds; either circle-step or unicorn stepping. Back when I was into kendo I'd move through crowds using suri ashi and by controlling the center, thereby forcing others to move. Quite effective, actually.

That's all I can think of at present... there are certainly more.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool thread. I use kicks to close/open doors as well. If it's a big building type door, a push front kick works well to open it. I use a hook kick to close my frig door, or a backfist for the cupboards. I even used a front snap kick when I dropped something at work to keep it from hitting the floor, and I popped it back into the air and caught it. That was automatic LOL. I don't use a box cutter to break down boxes at work either hehehehehe. A downward punch or knife hand works wonders :D I also have a sliding glass door at home. If my hands are full I use my feet (not really a kick, but useful LOL) to open it.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some uses:

1) When the hands are full, and something like an elevator door is closing, a quick kick can halt the door closings (works better with IR-detector doors than with the mechanical sensor ones). The only drawback is getting a lot of frightened stares from the people in the elevator, and the occasional "Stop that! People like you break these things and end up costing us more money!" fallacy.

2) Removing ice buildup on the high pressure liquid nitrogen cylinder heads. Shuto strike, tetui strike, or even plain seiken strike works fine.

3) Using nagashi-borai to push away people who are jabbering into their cellphones, not really keeping an eye on where they are walking, while also side stepping, in order to use the least amount of actual physical contact when avoiding these people.

4) Enjoying the improved physical conditioning that comes from training in the martial arts. I can now do just fine on 6 hours of sleep, and can also enjoy a sinful treat once in a long while, thanks to the training. In the past, I'd avoid such delicacies, but as long as I'm training hard, it's OK to indulge.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't rely on the physical training nearly as much as the mental. I have a short temper, work in a fast paced, high stress job, and have often found it invaluable in keeping myself from choking the living crap out of people around me. :uhyeah:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I don't rely on the physical training nearly as much as the mental.
That is sort of my case as well. There are principles that I apply every day both mentally and physically in my movement and in my thinking that has been learned from my training. But it isn't kicks, punches, or blocks.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use my Taijutsu body movement to do things like open doors/cabinets, etc... not punches and kicks, just body positioning... doing everyday mundane things with those movements and postures so they become everyday movements.

I use ukemi when I fall.

i also do things like "sense" where door handles and things are... I mean, I look, I know where they are like with a door I look when Im approaching it, and then I dont look when get to it and I use them... try to know where they are without seeing, to maintain situational awareness.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I have a short temper, work in a fast paced, high stress job, and have often found it invaluable in keeping myself from choking the living crap out of people around me. :uhyeah:
:D In addition to that, I also have to admit to using:

1) inward horizontal elbows to close my car doors
2) rear snap kicks to close the dishwasher
3) front thrusting sweep kicks or hook kicks to open the refrigerator door, then rear snapping hook kicks to close it
4) heel palm strikes to open the front door of my apt (after I unlock it, of course) & then a rear thrusting heel kick to close it
5) heel palm strikes to open doors at work (while simultaneously stepping forward with the corresponding side of my body)
6) front snapping ball kicks to close the paper trays of the copier after I refill the paper at work
7) an upward heel palm then an inward horizontal heel palm to close the tray on the printer after I print envelopes or labels at work
8) practicing finger set or striking set at my desk at work
9) inward parries to open cupboards, outward handswords to close them
10) when I slipped in the driveway when our streets froze in Winter 2003, I used our rear fall which kept my head from hitting the pavement :)

No wonder people think I'm so weird!! :lol: :rofl: I like the idea of incorporating backknuckles; will have to think of a time when I can use them. Hmmm....%think%

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sam, very interesting idea for a post. And you use flying kicks to close doors? My mom would kill me! Any-who here’s what I do.

1. Hold open big doors (other wise I’ll just slip through 'em. i'm a big dude of almost 200lbs, but i'm wriggly like a snake). A palm strike is good. Or condition your hand, by punching!!!! (I don't really recommend that last one) I’ll normally hold the door open for people too.

2. I slip through the crush of people at school using foot work (circle steps, short stances, yadda yadda yadda).

3. Mmm. I can’t think of a third, well that hasn't been posted a few times. Well I suppose I do Sui Nim Dao to warm up before weight training (the teacher has us stretch, then warm up, then workout). And I try to be discrete, yah know only when i'm alone.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I personally find it impossible to close my fridge or cupboard doors without an elbow strike. And yes I drop my bodyweight into them as well. Use palm strikes on doors as well to open them. When I hit myself with a hammer at work (which happens more often than it should) or something falls on me or something similar that hurts, I try to use some chi breathing to will the pain away. My workmate always laughs but hey it works!
I sometimes in day to day life find myself looking at people's vulnerable parts, say pressure points, joints etc and imagining striking or otherwise hurting them. I never do it of course but my imagination sometimes kicks in with what could potentially be done. I hope that everyone else does that and it doesn't mean I'm a nutter or something!

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread.........I thought I was the only one!!

Anyone caught themselves bowing when walking into or out of an establishment other than the dojo?

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shodan said:
Thanks for this thread.........I thought I was the only one!!

Anyone caught themselves bowing when walking into or out of an establishment other than the dojo?
:lol: Oh yeah...when I was white belt I went to two camps in the same year, & both times I bowed when walking into or out of the office on my first day back at work--I'm sure my boss thought it was totally bizarre! :rofl:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Kindness, simile , be polite and always thank-you..........works for me!

We start with a hand shake in the begining of our class and end with shaking hands at the end of class......sometimes we do this when we meet someone.....No Kiai needed...........Aloha

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I mostly use my martial arts training to fly. It really makes it easy to get to work in the morning. I also like using my chi to teleport. That is pretty sweet, almost as good as being in two places at once. Finally, I too like the mental training...mostly to choke the crap out of people who piss me off...totally Darth Vader style.

:supcool:

upnorthkyosa

ps - oh yeah, I do alot of the things ya'll mentioned above. My wife says I'm OCD when it comes to martial arts. No way! I gotta stop now while I clean that tiny speck of fly **** off my sword...that little bugger is going to die for that!

:jedi1:

In all seriousness, great thread.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Finally, I too like the mental training...mostly to choke the crap out of people who piss me off...totally Darth Vader style.
Ah *sigh* Yet another young padwan has turned to the dark side....:uhohh:

:jediduel:

Latest Discussions