Your embarrassing moments in the martial arts

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have enough time or space to mention every time, but here's one. I was a 15 year old blue belt & brought my girlfriend to class for the 1st time. Trying to impress her with as high an axe kick as I could muster: next thing I see is the ceiling. (Feel flat on my back & banged my head on the floor). My Sabum never let me live it down.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor told me this story a long time ago. Back before getting involved in the Bujinkan, he and his son trained together in TKD and karate. They were at a competition, held in a gymnasium, and his son, who was 15 or 16 at the time, noticed a few girls his age checking him out during his warm-ups. Hoping to impress the ladies, he dropped into a full split. Unfortunately, he also whacked his "boys" on the unforgiving gym floor, and proceeded to curl up in the fetal position while his admirers giggled.

One of my own: I was uke for my instructor at a demo. We were demonstrating several techniques while wearing swords. At one point, my instructor performed a takedown with both of my arms tied up, and my sword got stuck under me, splitting the scabbard and bending the blade at nearly a 90 degree angle. Luckily, it was one of those cheap Asian World wallhangers.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, these are some great stories.

Here's another instant classic...

My son, Zack, was at comp team practice and they were apparently working on a new combo that day. He gets home about the same time I'm cooking dinner. I'm at the stove stirring some sauce when I here "Hey Dad, look what I learned!" I turn around in time to see my son throwing the most beautiful back thrust kick he's ever thrown....right into my groin.

I'm 6'2", about 230 lbs. My son was 12 at the time...maybe about 110 lbs. I went down like a sack of potatoes with nary a wimper (hurt too much to breathe). I evetually gasped out "good one son" from my fetal position on the kitchen floor. The look on his face was priceless. He was simultaneously afraid he'd broken me, and amazed that little 'ole him could do that to big 'ole me.

Peace,
Erik

Just goes to show what a good, hard, low back kick can do, eh? Now that's one you can call on in a real fight, if the perp is coming at you from behind and you can get a peripheral-vision bead on him... :EG:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am glad you survived....although it probably won't be the last time it happens!!!

Thanks. And no it won't, knowing me LOL

I have another one. I posted this sometime ago somewhere else on MT, but it is a funny story, so I'll share it again. It was sparring night. We started out with warm-ups. We got geared up. We lined up in two lines facing each other. We'd spar then rotate to the left for a different partner. Well, it was my second or third round, and I got this kid about 16 years old. We were trading some good shots. We are/were both head-hunters (both of us were aiming for the head with kicks). He went to kick, I moved in, countered, then moved back. Problem was, he was standing on my pant leg. When I moved back, down went my pants. I yanked them back up hoping no one noticed and continued. BUT my instructor did. He said, "You CAN stop to fix your "equipment" Ya know." I turned so red.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bowing in when I was entering the main doorway of a police station.
Yep, took a verbal beating on that one.
:rofl:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh God, I really shouldn't post this but...I had a sinus infection and was given antibiotics. (This was just last week) Well, if you don't know, antibiotics screw with the digestive system, annnnd...let's just say training this week was a gas. heh

Repeat ten times after me, I'm not getting older, I'm getting better. I'm not getting older, I'm getting better....that's it. Keep going.

Use as often as necessary. If condition worsens, stick your head in the sand. :rolleyes:

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bowing in when I was entering the main doorway of a police station.
Yep, took a verbal beating on that one.
:rofl:

I've nearly bowed out of classrooms at school. :D

The most embarrassing thing for me is when you are training your dobuk top sometimes comes undone... and people get an interesting view. D: Must remember to make sure the singlet topsI wear underneath have a high neckline!

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man, I've screwed up so many times it'd take too much work to nail down one. So, I'll just share this. One time I was getting ready for a special seminar our school was having. Putting on my gi pants, they ripped right up the seat. Called my instructor to try to explain since I knew he was counting on me, and like a fool told him the truth. His response: That musta been some burrito. And of course he put the word out to the whole school, too.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was an instructor trainee who had just been invited to join the instructors class. I was going to meet with our GM for the final interview before getting my instructors belt. We were on the mat doing a horse stance drill when my pants went "rrriiippp!!!". They split stem to stern and I didn't have any backups with me. They were pinned together when I went upstairs. I was mortified. I sat down at his desk, he looked at me and said "I feel a little breeze, but I wonder how it feels to you!!!". He then proceeded to laugh so hard he was crying. I had a fellow trainee who was also about to get her belt with me. By the end of the meeting, our GM and and I couldn't make eye contact without completely losing it.

The most recent one was in a test in front of every instructor and trainee in the school. I don't do jump spinning kicks anymore because they just tear up my knee, so I do the ground version instead. I did a spinning reverse crescent, somehow ended up spinning on my heel and the next thing I knew, I was looking at the ceiling between my feet...

mijemi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Getting hit in the head by anything and everything - a ball, focus pads, impact pads, other people's hands and my own hands. The ball was the worst though because everyone was watching. I just laughed at the time but I still go red thinking about it.

KeeblerElf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay, so this just happened this morning in my class.
We were working on disarming people who have bats by moving in close then twisting around and taking the bat. Well the one guy I was with wouldn't let go, so I twisted a little more and he suddenly just let go and the bat swung around and nailed me right in the eye. It's already red and starting to bruise. Thats what I call smooth..
:angel:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lets see are we talking about the time I was called in front of a group of spectators to do a form and as I ran up to the sport I would start at I stepped on my pant leg thusly pulling my gi bottoms half off and breaking my big toe ?
Are we talking about the day I relax I won't cut you and gave the person a half dozen stitches?
are we thinking about the time I completely forgot the form named for my instructor (in the middle of the form) in front of 5 grandmasters who where visiting and just turned and walked away without even a bow. (( no we will not discuss what happened to me because of this))
Or maybe it was that time a student leaned over to far with a very lose blouse on and fell out in front of me

MetalStorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
its not too bad but lately I have been randomly shadow boxing a lot, quite a few times i will randomly start when in the front of the shop and people walking by the front window will just look at me funny.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Some moments I'll never forget:

Farting loudly accidently while doing crunches during class.

Doing a face plant while doing a wheel kick.

At the end of a Red Belt test in front of the entire school, by myself, the Master Black Belt asked me if it was appropriate for any martial artist to smoke. I don't smoke now but back then I did.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Knocking myself out while trying to do a flying sidekick over a bunch of chairs. Hit my head on the ceiling. :erg:

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I work with juveniles at a shelter, and one day a very volitle youth tried to leave our facility and I stood in his way. This kid and I had good raport and I was suprised and caught off guard when he punched me in the head. In hindsight I should have seen it coming he was extremly angry and has 18 assaults in his record ( 19 now ).

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lets see are we talking about the time I was called in front of a group of spectators to do a form and as I ran up to the sport I would start at I stepped on my pant leg thusly pulling my gi bottoms half off and breaking my big toe ?
Are we talking about the day I relax I won't cut you and gave the person a half dozen stitches?
are we thinking about the time I completely forgot the form named for my instructor (in the middle of the form) in front of 5 grandmasters who where visiting and just turned and walked away without even a bow. (( no we will not discuss what happened to me because of this))
Or maybe it was that time a student leaned over to far with a very lose blouse on and fell out in front of me

:rofl: You win!

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
my most embarrassing moment in ma was when i went for my black belt. we had just finished our katas and got a quik drink, we had the throws, sweeps, and other things to do still. i was supposed to sweep my partner and right their in front of 20 high ranking blackbelts i threw him.

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was working at a store downtown Traverse City, it was 2 pm and I was just finishing up setting registers on the ceiling of an A/C system I had just installed. A lady with 2 kids came into the store and her kids took off running around chasing each other while she shopped. My ladder was in an aisle and pretty much blocked it. That didn’t matter to the kids as they decided to run thru my ladder. They bumped the ladder and I lost my grip on a 2 foot by 2 foot register. As it fell I reache dout to grab it to keep it from falling on their heads. In doing so, my hand went into the register and I peeled back the skin on my left middle finger. 18 stitches later I was ready to just scream.
I was going to compete in one of the final Can Am tournaments the very next morning in Sault Saint Marie Canada. I debated and debated competing, but macho took over and I decided to do it. If I failed, I failed. I competed in Forms and weapons but couldn’t compete in sparring because my extended/braced/wrapped finger wouldn’t go into the glove.

So what kind of story is this? Well, you all know how we do our honor,closed left hand right hand open over it- both empty hand and weapons. Seems every time I presented myself to the judges or prepared to perform my staff form I was flipping off the judges. I had to apologize before I even started told them no dis respect was intended. Then one of the judges leaned forward and said” hurt your finger- yeah-right- we all know how you feel about Canadian judges( wink)” I just lost it, I had a hard time keeping my composure after that. And with the judges laughing and snickering I placed first in both divisions. I got away with first place while flipping off the judges! Only in Canada!

sholo86

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
During my first MA competition. Our school got invited to an open tourney ran by a TKD organization. We were the only kung fu school at that time, so this was our time to shine. I was in the middle of the floor doing my form until all of a sudden I forgot my next moves. I kept my composure and kept going for about a minute making up "kung fu" moves along the way as I was trying to rememebr my form. I was able to recoup and finished my form.

My instructor laughed his **** off after the competition because I got 1st place...

Latest Discussions