Double tap combination strategy

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When first you don't succeed, try again...

One of the simplest combinations is to just repeat the technique. If you try a hip throw and you aren't successful, try to hit it again. Usually it ends up being a more powerful hip throw than the first one would have been.

If your body kick fails, fire off a second kick. Regardless if you are taking about a double cross, throwing two horizontal elbows, or attempting two identical throws, using the double tap method is a simple strategy that can be very successful.

Certainly it isn't the most advanced combination, but simply repeating the technique you just tried is easy to remember under stress and can work quite well.

What do you all think. Do you train this on focus mitts? Do you use this in wrestling, judo or whatever?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Works great in grappling. Not sure what the mechanics are, but the second attempt to break free works so much better than the first. And in kali that's pretty much the idea behind broken fluid drills-throw the first, pull back, hit with the second.

Doesn't seem to be taught as much as I think it should, personally.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My experience doesn't match with your suggestion.

In one of my Chinese wrestling tournaments, my opponent used right foot to sweep my left leg and took me down. I knew he would repeat that technique again. I moved my left hand under my opponent's right arm (I had my left hand on top of his right arm during his 1st foot sweep). He did sweep me the 2nd time. I grabbed his sweeping leg and took him down by single leg. I knew he would repeat it again. After his 3rd foot sweep and I took him down by single leg the 2nd time, the match was over. I won by 2-1. That was the championship match. Nothing fancy in that match. It was just foot sweep vs single leg counter.

My opponent had tried "foot sweep" 3 times on me. He succeeded the 1st time, but failed on the 2nd and the 3rd time.

Your 1st attack may work by surprise. But after your 1st attack, your opponent is ready. It can be dangerous to repeat the same attack again.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is boxing 101, so I agree.

The 1-1-2 is for people expecting just a 1-2. Then they eat the second jab, and the cross finishes them.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is boxing 101, so I agree.

The 1-1-2 is for people expecting just a 1-2. Then they eat the second jab, and the cross finishes them.
My understanding of jab-jab is not to repeat the same move twice. It uses the 1st jab to set up the 2nd jab.

For example, when you throw the 1st jab, your opponent tries to block it. Before your opponent's arm can block your jab, you pull your jab back, allow his blocking arm to pass, you then jab him on the other side of his blocking arm.

In other words, your 1st jab just force your opponent to open his door, so your 2nd jab can walk through that door.

By using this logic, you can use any move A to set up move B. A and B don't have to be the same.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My understanding of jab-jab is not to repeat the same move twice. It uses the 1st jab to set up the 2nd jab.

For example, when you throw the 1st jab, your opponent tries to block it. Before your opponent's arm can block your jab, you pull your jab back, allow his blocking arm to pass, you then jab him on the other side of his blocking arm.

In other words, your 1st jab just force your opponent to open his door, so your 2nd jab can walk through that door.
Which would occur from jabbing twice.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Which would occur from jabbing twice.
But A-A is only an element of the set that contains A-A, A-B, A-C, ...

A-A is only a special case.

If we are talking about to use one technique to set up next technique, IMO, groin kick, face punch will work better than

- groin kick, groin klick, or
- face punch, face punch.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But A-A is only an element of the set that contains A-A, A-B, A-C, ...

A-A is only a special case.
A-A, or B-B, are strategies in themselves. They are special cases, yes, but so is A-B or A-C. Throwing a jab-hook, isn't always good but does have uses in the same way.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A-A, or B-B, are strategies in themselves. They are special cases, yes, but so is A-B or A-C. Throwing a jab-hook, isn't always good but does have uses in the same way.
If we are talking about punching with the "same arm",

- jab-jab,
- hook, hook,

make sense. But

- cross, cross,
- uppercut, uppercut,
- overhand, overhand,
- back fist, back fist,

don't make sense.

Is jab-jab better than jab-hook? IMO, both have it's value.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

By using this logic, you can use any move A to set up move B. A and B don't have to be the same.

It's both really. The 2nd jab might land if they expect a 1-2, but it can be the same jab. And then it's not even a 1-1-2, it's a 1-1 boom, and that can set up a 1-1-2 KO.

And you can extend that to like 1-1-1-1-1-2, the old test jab where they don't know when to expect the cross.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
This part is my point. Both are good in specific situations. Uppercut uppercut won't always be good, but feinting one then throwing it can. Similar type of double tap.
The old multiple uppercut was Mike Tyson's killer move in Nintendo Punch Out for a reason.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Super!
We also include this in our training in both offense and defense. In one exercise, in what we call speed building, the offense strikes with a knife twice as fast as they can. We do this in random angles for two minute rounds. We primarily do this with weapons, but have practiced double hitting and kicking also. Good stuff!

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's both really. The 2nd jab might land if they expect a 1-2, but it can be the same jab. And then it's not even a 1-1-2, it's a 1-1 boom, and that can set up a 1-1-2 KO.

And you can extend that to like 1-1-1-1-1-2, the old test jab where they don't know when to expect the cross.

Concerning the jab, it is also common to throw first a flick or soft jab followed be a stiff power jab. 1-1-2 can mean 1 (soft)-1 (hard)-2

Latest Discussions