Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
*facepalm*

For a adventure/knowledge/understanding

My old kenpo school had open sparring nights, and while we never got a "challenge" we certainly got visitors who wanted to push things. There was a reason all visitors sparred with the black belts first to vet them before allowing them near the students. I can only think of one time where a visitor pushed things past "friendly" sparring and then the situation was remedied by the guy he was sparring.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I don't agree with some of you on much but I'll agree that the op is off his rocker. Nate, do you train? With a legit instructor? You seem pretty unfamiliar with martial arts, movies and anime are not even close to reality.

You can self train, one of the dog bros "lonely dog" did it through their tapes and had some reasonable results. The guy is also ripped and a natural athlete, I'm not sure if he had any prior martial arts experience though. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone though, this guy is the exception.

As for dojo storming? Boxing gyms do it all the time, in a friendly and planned out manner. Other guys come to our gym and we go to other gyms regularly. If you want to fight go to a boxing gym, they'll probably even let you throw kicks.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nate, go challenge a gym or training hall until one accepts instead of throwing you out. At the very least, you'll understand "solo" training is not enough.

TO answer your question, no its not really acceptable anymore. Most schools dont feel the need to validate their training in that way. Over the years, my old boxing gym has had local champs and people compete at the arnold classic. My TSD Association has never had someone in a situation where they couldn't defend themselves (fresh student schoolyard rumbles aside, but those get handled accordingly). Across the US there are hundreds of other Gyms/Schools doing the same thing.

Understand that legal consequences aside, its dishonorable and completely unethical for someone with any level of training to accept a challenge from someone with none. Its also incredibly rude for someone to politely ask to join in on sparring and completely disregard rules, regulations, and the well-being of other students. Even in Full Contact schools, sparring partners arent as bloodthirsty as people think. People have to train and work the next day.

If someone with training wants to respectfully join in on sparring, thats a little different. But thats far different than the 1970's kung-fu movie ordeal you're talking about.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for dojo storming? Boxing gyms do it all the time, in a friendly and planned out manner. Other guys come to our gym and we go to other gyms regularly. If you want to fight go to a boxing gym, they'll probably even let you throw kicks.

That's not really dojo storming... it's a friendly competition. We have a local boxing/kickboxing club that comes to visit regularly. We know they're coming, and we match up students from the two groups based on age/size/experience.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What and get his head stuffed down his neck whom would view him as cannon fodder. Yeah great advice bear :D

look if he wants to fight to show the superiority of his style competition is the outlet for that.

If he gets his head stuffed down his neck. At least the people paying to watch get a show.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the best advice we can give him (and have) is to turn the TV off and find a good local school and start attending classes. More reality... Less fantasy....

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you expand on "open sparring sessions"

And wow. You'd go that far with cops? Even if he wasn't doing anything illegal or threatening.
Yes.

You're disrupting my business, if my school is professional martial arts school. You're disrupting my training hall and environment if it's not a business-base. And if you're refusing to leave after being asked -- I'll let someone with the official authority to remove you do it rather than do it my own.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the story. How dishonorable ignoring the rules.

Edit: who disagreed with my post???? Do you like to brake honor-bound rules ??
The rules hereabouts are enforced by folks with Moderator or Adminstrator under their username. I'm kind of feeling it to be worthwile to remind you that Rules 1.8 and 4.1 and 4.2.6 quite clearly forbid physical challenges between users.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a difference between an open mat night, or visiting a school and some friendly sparring with them, versus walking into a training hall and challenging the students or instructor to a fight. Within some bounds -- the former options are fun, and a good chance to learn something. But the latter? Brian VanCise and others have already spelled out the many problems with it. Dojo storming went out of style some years ago... for very good reasons.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
There's a difference between an open mat night, or visiting a school and some friendly sparring with them, versus walking into a training hall and challenging the students or instructor to a fight. Within some bounds -- the former options are fun, and a good chance to learn something. But the latter? Brian VanCise and others have already spelled out the many problems with it. Dojo storming went out of style some years ago... for very good reasons.
I'm glad you see my point!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There were more gyms back in the day, a lot of us used to get together for open sparring, going to each other's dojos in groups. Because of the open air of visiting, which was common knowledge across the city, there would always be unknown visitors, usually traveling in twos, usually young, who came to spar.
They pretty much had the same rap - that they dojo hopped, but most dojos didn't want them back, presumably because they were good. We used to call them "gunslingers".

They were so fricken' cute you just wanted to hug them.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
When someone challenges you,

- you fight him with open hand, if you lose,
- you come back with knife, if you lose again,
- you come back with gun, if you still lose,
- you sue him,
Unfortunately after losing with the knife you would probably be dead, then your family can sue them. :)

EklectikButterfly

White Belt
Reaction score
And they are absolutely correct. I've read many books about martial arts. I've written two of them. I've watched tons of videos.
You can't learn martial arts from books or videos.
Off topic.... as a newish student, may I ask what books you've written, what about, and how me and my eager to learn daughter may acquire them? Thank you!

As for dojo/doJang challenging. ... that seems a bit silly to me honestly. I don get the point. And I watch videos all day long on TSD but nothing can beat actually being instructed in person by someone of decent rank and ability to teach others.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Off topic.... as a newish student, may I ask what books you've written, what about, and how me and my eager to learn daughter may acquire them? Thank you!

As for dojo/doJang challenging. ... that seems a bit silly to me honestly. I don get the point. And I watch videos all day long on TSD but nothing can beat actually being instructed in person by someone of decent rank and ability to teach others.

Yeah the "challenging" bit is a little warped (except in the context of challenging yourself so to improve) but when I was young and competing at my peak I would often visit other schools out of sanctioned tournaments and fight their students. This was testing my mettle and ability against another style but this was also so I could learn from other styles and how to combat and negate them as I had shifted into mma fighting but before "MMA Schools" had come into existence. This was never done in an arrogant manner. Without exception I think the clubs I visited all had a fun time and things never went off on a sour note. Sometimes the intensity levels got high but I was not there to hurt anyone - or to get hurt myself. And it was never about "my sensei/club/skills are better than yours"...please!

It's all about attitude as the experience itself can be very good for a martial artist. Most of the clubs I visited, I knew some of the members already either from competition or just training or had approached them or the trainer in advance, or I was introduced to the head trainer by one of his students. Very rarely I turned up as a completely unknown equation through the door. Again, nothing necessarily wrong with that but it does grate a little bit from a manners perspective. You're a guest at that dojo and personally when I have guests over to my own house I generally know in advance they are turning up! : )

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When someone challenges you,

- you fight him with open hand, if you lose,
- you come back with knife, if you lose again,
- you come back with gun, if you still lose,
- you sue him,
KFW, you often have good observations and points to make but this one seems a little el' crazo big time-o lol!! Unless you are talking about a "Home invasion challenge" where things are escalating to save your life. But if some guy challenges you and you accept, if you lose in fisty-cuffs it seems more than a little deranged to come back with a knife or gun. Maybe you sue him if he causes harm to you and this was outside of your understanding of the challenge conditions. But the knives and guns bit. Crazy, yes?

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe most challenges would be towards the instructor not the entire school at one time unless your Count Dante
Yeah. Like just said, I used to visit other clubs back in the day and fight their students on good terms, and those sessions could be at a pretty intense level. But it was in the back of my head at some of those clubs that there is the risk if you hurt someone there is no guarantee the rest of the club won't pile in and mash you to a bloody pulp. Things can go real bad real quick and being in a strange club surrounded by ten or twenty others does not sound like fun (unless you're Chuck Norris or Bruce Lee and have a little time on your hands to kill before wiping out the Yakuza!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions