Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Japan. For renown appeal.

Can someone translate this into English?

Again, Nate, you need to get out of the fantasy world and into reality. I've been training for about 45 years. I've trained in schools all over the US and Europe. I've seen tons of visitors at schools, and I've visited tons of schools.
I've never seen dojo challenging outside of fiction. I've never heard a confirmable story about a dojo challenge, outside of fiction.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the thing Nate. Someone comes into a business (all commercial schools are in business) and challenges them (dojo storms) to a fight. From a business perspective it is a lose, lose situation to accept the challenge. If they do and win (which they are supposed to) the person coming in could be hurt and sue them. If they lose, their system might be looked less favorably upon and their reputation diminished. They have nothing to gain.

Now back in the day........ this would be met with okay come back after hours and we will discuss this. Then buda boom the *** kicking would ensue. However, this isn't back in the day and we live in a very litigious society.

Now if a school wanted to have some thing like the "Gracie Challenge" and allow people to come in sign waivers and have a challenge match that way then they certainly could do it but........... better have some serious insurance coverage and lawyers on hand in case anyone gets hurt. Which begs the question is it worth it? From a business perspective and what could potentially happen is it to great of a risk?

So if someone comes in and refuses to leave most instructors are just going to call the police and have them trespassed. It is safe, efficient and gets rid of the knuckle head. Just the threat of trespassing and most knuckle draggers will be out the door.

Personally I like the old school approach of come back after hours and bada boom but quite frankly that is a recipe for disaster both financially and also is going to land you in jail at some point. Is that worth it? No it isn't to deal with an idiot!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, for anyone that can help, I'd like to know if dojo challenging is still a acceptable option towards dojos.

Many people I've met have said, "training by yourself is hurting more than helping."

And, "you can't be good at all without any 'formal' training such as a dojo."

Obviously those people need to understand that you don't need others to teach yourself or develop a style of your own.
Books also can assist in understanding.

So by never being in a dojo to train 'formally', would it prove them all by challenging a dojo with all due respect and honors offered.

Thanks for offering helpful comments. Don't waste space or I'll report you on-the-spot.

Okay, can I have some of the roll ups you smoke please? Nah only kidding :D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the story. How dishonorable ignoring the rules.

Edit: who disagreed with my post????

From the looks of things, the answer to that question is "pretty much everybody"...

Do you like to brake honor-bound rules ??

I really think someone who claims to have been "born with a certain greatness and I achieve amazing tasks." should know the difference between "break" and "brake"... Just saying...

Of course, as always, if you think someone is "braking" the rules (how does one go about decelerating a rule?), then please use the REPORT button at the lower left.

By the way... since you have on a couple of occasions made reference to honor, let me ask you: do you think an honorable person makes false claims? Like, say, claiming a martial arts rank that they haven't earned?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for offering helpful comments.
If you can go to boxing/MT/kickboxing/Judo/wrestling/BJJ/SC/... tournaments and win the 1st place, you can open a school after that and you can make your own system to be famous on this planet. Many cities have open mat. You can also test your skill over there against people from different styles.

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can go to boxing/MT/kickboxing/Judo/wrestling/BJJ/SC/... tournaments and win the 1st place, you can open a school after that and you can make your own system to be famous on this planet. Many cities have open mat. You can also test your skill over there against people from different styles.

Or alternatively, really format the game "Parrises Squares" Even a Klingon has played it!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well I'm going to say that today most would call the police if someone asked for a challenge but that would not go far in court unless the person actually threw a punch. Asking for a challenge is not against the law.

Now as has been said by someone else back in the day it was done and Yes I have seen it. People usually got hurt, the school got trashed and the instructor usually won if the challenger was not trained.
Sometimes challenges where given by an instructor if he felt another school was not legit. If the school owner lost he was supposed to close the school. YES i have seen it and been part of it many years ago.

If you are stupid enough to make those challenges today you had better have a healthy insurance policy and a darn good lawyer ( even if your the challenged and accept) because today the laws have changed a little and are just plain sue happy.

The instructor has nothing to gain by accepting a challenge. He loses face if he loses but gains nothing if he wins

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How can you challenge a MA school that have 50 students? How many guys are you going to bring with you? If you challenge a CMA school, most CMA students train sword, knife, staff, spear, Guandao, ... what chance will you have when all those 50 students attack you at the same time with those kind of weapons? Also how do you know that the MA teacher doesn't have a Walther PPK in his pocket?

John_high_school.jpg

John_high_school_1.jpg

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How can you challenge a MA school that have 50 students? How many guys are you going to bring with you? If you challenge a CMA school, most CMA students train dagger, sword, knife, staff, spear, Guandao, throwing dart, ... what chance will you have when all those 50 students attack you at the same time with those kind of weapons? Also how do you know that the MA teacher doesn't have a Walther PPK in his pocket?

Valid points. One has to wonder how delusional a person would have to be to think they could beat up and entire school.
I leave my gun in my bag during class.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe most challenges would be towards the instructor not the entire school at one time unless your Count Dante

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Musashi was purported to take on whole schools. Yeah... people died... Lot's of people...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When someone challenges you,

- you fight him with open hand, if you lose,
- you come back with knife, if you lose again,
- you come back with gun, if you still lose,
- you sue him,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions