Dojo challenging? Still active?

• Thread starter Deleted member 32980
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 32980

Hey, for anyone that can help, I'd like to know if dojo challenging is still a acceptable option towards dojos.

Many people I've met have said, "training by yourself is hurting more than helping."

And, "you can't be good at all without any 'formal' training such as a dojo."

Obviously those people need to understand that you don't need others to teach yourself or develop a style of your own.
Books also can assist in understanding.

So by never being in a dojo to train 'formally', would it prove them all by challenging a dojo with all due respect and honors offered.

Thanks for offering helpful comments. Don't waste space or I'll report you on-the-spot.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, for anyone that can help, I'd like to know if dojo challenging is still a acceptable option towards dojos.

Many people I've met have said, "training by yourself is hurting more than helping."

Obviously those people need to understand that you don't need others to teach yourself or develop a style of your own.

So by never being in a dojo to train 'formally', would it prove them all by challenging a dojo with all due respect and honors offered.

Thanks for offering helpful comments. Don't waste space or I'll report you on-the-spot.

If you like to fight and have some natural aptitude, you might be able to get pretty good at kicking butt from a combination of training with friends and life experience ...you know, gym hopping, sparring with some tough buddies, getting in fights, and so forth.

That said, that's not what most TMA are about. Certainly not what my group is about. And challenging schools would prove absolutely nothing. Traditional martial artists know that sometimes untrained or self trained individuals can pretty tough. And some traditional martial artists aren't very effective fighters. So what?

Participating as a guest in the open sparring sessions held by some groups is one thing. Dojo challenging is another. If it were me, I'd ask you to leave, then if you didn't , I'd call the cops.

OP
D

Deleted member 32980

Can you expand on "open sparring sessions"

And wow. You'd go that far with cops? Even if he wasn't doing anything illegal or threatening.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, if someone comes into my school and starts threatening my students, I would call the cops too. Now coming to broaden your horizons and entering the class and sparring sessions as a respectful student would acceptable. But just coming in and challenging people to a fight, that's trouble.

OP
D

Deleted member 32980

You don't understand. You walk in and not challenge the students. You wait to talk to the sensei and do your greetings and ask to challenge the dojo, then he tells you what you have to do. Usually fight the senpais

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't understand. You walk in and not challenge the students. You wait to talk to the sensei and do your greetings and ask to challenge the dojo, then he tells you what you have to do. Usually fight the senpais

Why would you do that?

OP
D

Deleted member 32980

*facepalm*

For a adventure/knowledge/understanding

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Only if you want to land in jail.

And they are absolutely correct. I've read many books about martial arts. I've written two of them. I've watched tons of videos.
You can't learn martial arts from books or videos.

That is absolutely correct. You cannot learn martial arts from books and videos, even if you've convinced yourself that you're something special. Here's a free clue. You're not. Every kid thinks they are. Learning to separate this fantasy from reality is part of the process of maturing.

Do you catch bullets in your teeth as part of your training?

Where's that ROFL thing that Elder999 uses???

By all means. If you think someone if violating the TOS, you should report them. Make sure you've read and understood the TOS yourself, though.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Allow me to quote one of the Great Ones.... Great GrandMaster Mr MIagi... "You too much TV."

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think I understand. What you are suggesting reminds me of that movie IP Man. In this day and age, in the USA at least, that kind of thing just isn't going on. If you are looking to test your mettle in competition I suggest joining an MMA program that competes.

We had a guy show up from a rival school back in the early nineties. He participated in one class and then asked to spar. He ignored every rule and tried to hurt people. He punched the throat and tried to break someone's knee. He was asked to leave and when he refused we called the police, then he ran away. I think he was attempting to discredit us. It didn't work, 20 years later we are all still going strong and teaching.

OP
D

Deleted member 32980

Thanks for the story. How dishonorable ignoring the rules.

Edit: who disagreed with my post???? Do you like to brake honor-bound rules ??

Last edited by a moderator:

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, this sounds like fun.

Hey, for anyone that can help, I'd like to know if dojo challenging is still a acceptable option towards dojos. .

I have never seen that myself.

ONLY training by yourself is hurting more than helping.
NEVER training by yourself (as in never practicing what you have learned in class at home) is hurting more than helping.

It would be more accurate to say that you can't be good at all without learning form a qualified and competent instructor

You do if you want to be any good.

Books are no substitute for experience.

Good luck with that.

Your welcome.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*facepalm*

For a adventure/knowledge/understanding

An adventure in what? A potential beating up, a visit to the police station then court?
Knowledge of what? How to disrupt martial arts students going about their normal training? Why would anyone want to teach you anything when you intend to challenge them to a fight. You won't learn much if you get KO'd will you. Will you learn anything if they politely refuse and turn their backs on you?
I would suggest pushing your way into a dojo and challenging people will give you no understanding whatsoever though I can imagine the students will understand that is not how civilised people behave.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just go do a fight. Pick a rule set that appeals and compete in that.

then there is no need to be challenging dojos.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is what they used to di

It's generally a bad idea to assume that you're going to learn anything real from fantasy novels.
Now, don't get me wrong. I still enjoy Diablo III, and I played D&D from the start, with the basic set. But I knew the difference between fantasy and reality.
Find someone willing to train you. Quit claiming to be something you're clearly not.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know if dojo challenging was ever an acceptable option. Why would you even bother? There are 'All Styles' tournaments every few weeks if you want to compete. There are MMA events regularly as well so why would you want to challenge an individual dojo?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is what they used to di

Who are 'they'? I've been in martial arts for many, many years and I've never heard or known of anyone who has 'invaded' a dojo. I've seen fictional 'invasions' in films though.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions